The Forest Park LIRR route

Messino

What exactly is the service schedule on the Lower Montauk Branch? I read somewhere that there is only one (passenger) train a day on weekdays, but Messino indicated that there are at least more than one:

Yes that was a west bound evening train, about 30 mins before I took that pic I missed an east bound train.

Is one of them the westbound morning train listed here that leaves Jamaica at 8:11 and gets to LIC at 8:34? (It's the only one listed in the LIC timetable that doesn't stop at Hunterspoint.)

After some further checking around, I think they have reduced it to one, an AM westbound, as of a couple of months ago. Can anyone confirm that?

Why do they even run any trains along there at all? I hardly see the point. It seems like it would be more efficient to run that one train through Hunterspoint. Unless maybe there's some reason they have to keep it active because of some sort of regulation or something... Does anyone know?

After some further checking around, I think they have reduced it to one, an AM westbound, as of a couple of months ago. Can anyone confirm that?

Why do they even run any trains along there at all? I hardly see the point. It seems like it would be more efficient to run that one train through Hunterspoint. Unless maybe there's some reason they have to keep it active because of some sort of regulation or something... Does anyone know?

Most likely they just don't have a time slot for it on the main line

Excellent pictures, but it's not good idea to hangout on tracks.

When I was in Pavonia-Newport during evening rush hour, lots of HBLRiders was crossing in front of train, when train was waiting for green signal. Passengers are risking their live because LRT is quiet train.

I also think there should be protected fence at Inwood Hill Park because some one could get onto active tracks that used by Amtrak.

When I was at Inwood Hill Park, I almost made wrong turn and almost end up by Amtrak track, so I retrace back.

I think they have to run a few trains there per day to keep the the line.

Long Island City to Oyster Bay 4:54 PM peak train going eastbound still operates. Not sure about the westbound one if its in passenger service.

Very interesting photos you have here, thanks for sharing!!!!

I'd like to venture this line one day, maybe on a weekend. How did you get to track level?

Its on ground level. The line runs through forest park. People cross over the tracks all of the time because it divides one portion of forest park between the other.

I think they have to run a few trains there per day to keep the the line.

Long Island City to Oyster Bay 4:54 PM peak train going eastbound still operates. Not sure about the westbound one if its in passenger service.

The westbound has been converted to operate via the Main Line to replace a train that was shortened due to the service cuts. The eastbound still remains, and I think there is a clause with adjacent property owners that requires at least a daily train. (just like how some farmers wanted to take back the RR's land when they announced the discontinuation of Greenport service)

The branch is still used by all freight on Long Island that needs to get off island, either via the Hell Gate or the Bay Ridge car floats (interchange at Fresh Pond). West of Fresh Pond, I don't think there is anything except for that daily train.

Archived