Old City Hall

IDBooch

Here are some pictures of the old city hall station. This is a 4 car station that was taken out of service years ago but the tracks and structure still has to be maintained as the train still runs through the station. The stained glass was repaired and the station was cleaned up for the 100th annivesary. All the years that I have been here this is the best it ever looked most of the time its covered with black steel dust, stained glass broken or missing and tile broken or missing. The exits to the street were closed for years when they renewed city hall park they now dug out the stairway.

DCP_0700.jpg

DCP_0694.jpg

DCP_0708.jpg

DCP_0698.jpg

I've been to most of the abandoned stations, The first one I was ever to was 18th street and felt like I was back in time, only to find that I would spend lots of time there when the union square accident happen in August of 1991 this is where we reported for work and where equipment was stored. Now this is where I remember being at, Brooklyn Bridge, Worth Street, Chambers Steet, 18th Street, 42th Street, Bergen Street (very wet), Roosevelt Ave. (very large), Myrtle Ave, Nevins Street, & Atlantic Ave there might be more this is what stands out to me now. Let me just let you all know Its not worth seeing any of the stations there dark and dirty VERY dirty, most are loaded with graffie there are for the most part no signs on the columms that let you know where you are I would say most are just one side north or south some are just part of a small section of an old platforn. IDBooch

I've been to most of the abandoned stations, The first one I was ever to was 18th street and felt like I was back in time, only to find that I would spend lots of time there when the union square accident happen in August of 1991 this is where we reported for work and where equipment was stored. Now this is where I remember being at, Brooklyn Bridge, Worth Street, Chambers Steet, 18th Street, 42th Street, Bergen Street (very wet), Roosevelt Ave. (very large), Myrtle Ave, Nevins Street, & Atlantic Ave there might be more this is what stands out to me now. Let me just let you all know Its not worth seeing any of the stations there dark and dirty VERY dirty, most are loaded with graffie there are for the most part no signs on the columms that let you know where you are I would say most are just one side north or south some are just part of a small section of an old platforn. IDBooch

Do you know what the abandond station is that is in queens near queens bridge? Its all orange. One time many years ago when the power went out in the subway I walked through the tunnel at like 3 am and there was this door that I went through that was on the side of the tunnel behind the yellow wall railing and on the other side was this abandoned station that was all orange and nothing was there but some garbage bags.

Do you know what the abandond station is that is in queens near queens bridge? Its all orange. One time many years ago when the power went out in the subway I walked through the tunnel at like 3 am and there was this door that I went through that was on the side of the tunnel behind the yellow wall railing and on the other side was this abandoned station that was all orange and nothing was there but some garbage bags.

That sounds like you were taken thru an emergency exit. Some of them are very large and are often used to store things. As far as I know, there is no abandon station near Queens Bridge. The only abandon station on the Queend Blvd. line is Roosevelt Ave. (it looks nothing like it's on screen version in the new Taking of Pelham 123).

ID- When you say Myrtle, do you mean the one North of DeKalb or the upper level on the Broadway line ((J)(M)(Z))?

Guest Charles

The orange part with garbage bags suspiciously sounds like the closed part of Lex Av-63 St, but that's not in Queens.

I've worked at Queens plaza many times north & south ends over the years and never remember seeing an orange abandon station. If it were an emergency exit you would know it there would have been a stairway to the street or to the platform above if were a station with an express track below. There would also be signs letting you know what exit number it was (every exit has a number) also there would be arrows leading the way out. Now does any one know how many emergency exits are in the system? I do and have been to most of them. IDBooch

I remember vividly walking through the lower level on the 63rd Street Connector from 21st Street to Roosevelt Island. It was weird: a full tunnel with proper tunnel lighting, but no tracks. Only sand...and no stations.

That was before 9/11. Now, a silent alarm would be tripped and the cops would be there in no time.

I remember vividly walking through the lower level on the 63rd Street Connector from 21st Street to Roosevelt Island. It was weird: a full tunnel with proper tunnel lighting, but no tracks. Only sand...and no stations.

That was before 9/11. Now, a silent alarm would be tripped and the cops would be there in no time.

Lower level? Could that be the LIRR tunnel?

I've worked at Queens plaza many times north & south ends over the years and never remember seeing an orange abandon station. If it were an emergency exit you would know it there would have been a stairway to the street or to the platform above if were a station with an express track below. There would also be signs letting you know what exit number it was (every exit has a number) also there would be arrows leading the way out. Now does any one know how many emergency exits are in the system? I do and have been to most of them. IDBooch

I know that there are well over 400 in the system ranging from a simple stair way to the street to some that have six landings and some that exit into stations. Do the EE's that are directly across from eachother have the same number or do they have to connect to have the same number?

Is there an old map somewhere of stations that have the one now not in use? This station I was referring to was definately not in use. It was pre 9/11 also. The door I went through was not an emergency exit. There was a tunnel that trains activly use and the abandoned station was directly on the other side of the wall, thats why when I went through the door it went directly to the station platform. It was somewhere by Queensbridge. I'll check some maps maybe I can remember where I was.

You're probably thinking of Lexington Av/63rd St on the (F); there is a platform on the other side of the wall on both platforms where they store trains on the adjoining tracks. They'll come into service when the 2nd Ave subway finally starts running.

You're probably thinking of Lexington Av/63rd St on the (F); there is a platform on the other side of the wall on both platforms where they store trains on the adjoining tracks. They'll come into service when the 2nd Ave subway finally starts running.

It was either that or maybe the abandoned Myrtle Ave station? Wish I had a camera then lol. The track that I was on that had the door definately was a Orange Line B or D train passed by.

The platform sections of the 21st-Queensbridge station does like kind of abandoned -- or poorly maintained -- last few times I saw it.. puddles of water and hanging light bulbs and wiring, and many handwritten signs taped up above that warn about high voltage.

Archived