Newest bus, the ECO Saver IV, gives you service with a smile

Harry

NYC Transit's newest bus is not only environmentally friendly, it appears to be smiling.

The ECO Saver IV is a hybrid electric 42-footer that's much quieter and has lower emissions than other buses, reducing both noise and air pollution.

The first thing straphangers will notice is the sleek, space-age design. The giant front windshield is curved upwards from the bottom, like a smile.

One transit executive scrutinizing the bus on display outside NYC Transit headquarters on lower Broadway yesterday dubbed it "the smiley bus."

"It's pretty cool," agreed Trevor Logan, 29, a flight attendant from Westchester. A subway-and-bus buff, Logan snapped photographs of the DesignLine bus.

NYC Transit has purchased eight DesignLine buses and inked a contract with an option to order as many as 80.

Five will be on the street by the end of the year for a pilot program; the first will roll out August in Manhattan.

The bus has an electric motor powered by a battery pack charged by a turbine engine. Other buses roar, groan and rumble but the electric hybrid whirs in the background.

"It's so quiet you don't even know it's running," said Joseph Smith, NYC Transit's bus chief.

This type of hybrid has far fewer engine parts than the standard diesel bus.

Parts that will never need repair or replacement include the transmission, alternator, starter and water pump.

"Most of the parts that go bad on a regular bus don't exist on this bus," said DesignLine vice president James Gaspard.

The ECOSaver IV can run on just battery power with zero emissions 20% of the time, NYC Transit's director of new bus qualifications.

NYC Transit tested a smaller version briefly about two years ago, setting the stage for the 80-bus contract.

Full story: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/06/29/2009-06-29_newest_bus_gives_you_service_with_a_smile.html#ixzz0Jv006MO3&C

post-1-133288580632_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580632_thumb.jpg

Wow neat! I hope this will further reduce fuel costs.

I only wish :septa: could afford such equipment. I guess their low floor regular hybrids will have to suffice. :cool:

Trevor Logan, don't we have a Trevor Logan on this site? :eek:

- A

I believe that's who it is!

Also, they mentioned that it'll be charged by a turbine. What do they mean by that? I hope not a mini jet turbine!:eek:

Wow, it makes sense since Trevor was one of the first here to catch pics of the bus downtown; they must've seen him snapping pics and asked his opinion/credentials, I assume. The bus sounds very efficient and quiet (haven't seen a vid of the bus yet). It will definitely act as an RTS throwback and be a nice change compared to all of the Orions...

Like a cross between the RTS and the Optima Opus. (I was like "wha...?" the first time I saw one of those!)

A total reverse from the old fishbowl, where the curvature on the bottom of the window was higher in the middle, making the whole windsheild looked like a wide open crying cartoon mouth.

Wow neat! I hope this will further reduce fuel costs.

I only wish :septa: could afford such equipment. I guess their low floor regular hybrids will have to suffice. :cool:

- A

yup hes Vintage Soul here head of TTMG. Nice and funny guy, meet him during the TOMC that just passed

And This DesignLine fleet is awesome, cant wait for Bx to get em. Looks more like an RTS when you look at it

• 4 weeks later...
when will new Eco Saver IV will be put into service.?

( are the number going to be #2500 - # 2300 series

or #1200 , #1300 , #1400 series ( can any body explain)

choosing the number #1200 - #1400 will be best the number to choose

the purchase of ECO Saver.

Just wait and see

and not that many Orion7NG #3803 - #4700 wont able to replace

not that many 1990 - 1993 RTS , orion5. there should be a plan also

that Ecosaver IV can ( i think would able to replace half of 1990 - 1993 RTS

and orion5.? while 1993 - 1995 orion5 and RTS is being replaced

by 2009 orion7. ( i think not that many).

most important that need EcoSaver IV is:

Far Rockaway depot.!

Ulmer Park Depot

Kingsbridge Depot!

West Farms depot

when will new Eco Saver IV will be put into service.?

( are the number going to be #2500 - # 2300 series

or #1200 , #1300 , #1400 series ( can any body explain)

choosing the number #1200 - #1400 will be best the number to choose

the purchase of ECO Saver.

Isn't this question the same one you asked a couple of months ago via a different handle? :eek:

number than can be used for designbus line is that is left

that can be used is #2400 , #2500 , #2600 series.

while #7000 , #6000 , #5000 , #8000 , #9000 , #4000 , #3000 series

have been taking being used.

and not that many Orion7NG #3803 - #4700 wont able to replace

not that many 1990 - 1993 RTS , orion5. there should be a plan also

that Ecosaver IV can ( i think would able to replace half of 1990 - 1993 RTS

and orion5.? while 1993 - 1995 orion5 and RTS is being replaced

by 2009 orion7. ( i think not that many).

most important that need EcoSaver IV is:

Far Rockaway depot.!

Ulmer Park Depot

Kingsbridge Depot!

West Farms depot

hell no they dont!

Kingsbridge will simply destroy those buses. I would rather see NGs at KB instead of the Designlines. Ulmer Park probably is in line for some NGs. West Farms got 2003/2004 Orion VII CNGs, those are still fairly decent. Plus they are getting 1999 Orion V CNGs from College Point. Far Rockaway may be getting the 1995 Bee Line Vs from a batch or 85.

And for gods sake, make NORMAL POSTS.

they had choose number the Design Line Eco Saver to #1300 series. now first 3 design Line bus Eco IV are at Micheal J. Quill depot that #1300 , #1301 , #1302 . Ulmer park Depot might recieve maybe reciving Design Line

Eco Saver? will Gun Hill Depot going to receiving Design Line EcoSaver IV .

How about West Farms depot? Orion7CNG are being destroyed

at West Farms Depot. who said Orion7CNG are clean at West Farms Depot.

that big mistake the ( #7600 series)

the would be chance Gun Hill depot might get 2 bronx bus route

back that they control:If #1353 - #1412 ( Design Line Eco saver go to Gun Hill depot). i hope Gun Hill depot could get their 2 route back that they

control , that Bx8 and Bx31. why i would at least like to see

Gun Hill Depot have Design Line EcoSaver IV and Orion7NG

and put them into service on Bx8 , Bx31. ;) :cool: .;)

while West Farms depot have the worst bus. that getting bad conditon

orion7CNG

they had choose number the Design Line Eco Saver to #1300 series. now first 3 design Line bus Eco IV are at Micheal J. Quill depot that #1300 , #1301 , #1302 . Ulmer park Depot might recieve maybe reciving Design Line

Eco Saver? will Gun Hill Depot going to receiving Design Line EcoSaver IV .

How about West Farms depot? Orion7CNG are being destroyed

at West Farms Depot. who said Orion7CNG are clean at West Farms Depot.

that big mistake the ( #7600 series)

I've said this before and i'll say it again

MJQ is getting the Designlines. Gun Hill is not getting any. As far as we know, MJQ is getting the 30+ buses.

West Farm's CNGs are in good condition. Depending on the route they go on, they do get destroyed.

And for the love of humanity, would you type normally?!

One transit executive scrutinizing the bus on display outside NYC Transit headquarters on lower Broadway yesterday dubbed it "the smiley bus."

"The Smiley Bus" is a cute nickname, but to me it looks more like a fishbowl -- the "new new-look fishbowl bus", anyone? ;) Now, if they would just put a rear window in these modern buses, I'd be a happy man.

Archived