Gladstone Branch

Blinkerdoors

I would hope so. I remember in 1982 when the whole line was being reconstructed,

I was on my way to Berkeley Heights, I rode in probably one of the last old GM suburban buses out of the early 1960's. I think it was rather a mistake placing wooden fixtures as fast as the silverliners are. But I guess, at that time, NJ transit was struggling with budgeting. What do you think?

I would hope so. I remember in 1982 when the whole line was being reconstructed,

I was on my way to Berkeley Heights, I rode in probably one of the last old GM suburban buses out of the early 1960's. I think it was rather a mistake placing wooden fixtures as fast as the silverliners are. But I guess, at that time, NJ transit was struggling with budgeting. What do you think?

In 1982 i believe conrail still had involvement there. The construction of the lines reeks of "we better get this done right", solid and reliable design. The wood was to fill gaps where the steel towers used to be. There are spots here and there where the EL steel never came down.

- A

The wooden catenary poles are still in excellent condition, but NJT fears that the wood would rot away sooner or later. In my perspective, these catenary poles are in much better shape than the ex-PRR ones along the NEC.

Yea, that's what i was saying, there was a re-electrification project that left the wood till $ for steel was secured. Wood being nifty, interesting, unique or not, steel cat towers are far more versatile and robust. They can double as power transmission for utilities, and that brings in $$$$. A lot of old freight ROW that either was never or was electrified still carry transmission lines or have new transmission towers, it's a no-brainer to do this, i believe the raritan river bridge is a good example of this, and why the cat towers are very tall there. If there's one incentive to expanding electrification, this is it, it would also work with "smart grid" stuff, allowing lines from wind turbines etc to go through residential areas without much fuss. Also related to this, is the fact that parking garages could have solar panels on them, a few all ready do.

- A

Archived