20/50???? will we ever live to see the day???

TransitMan23

I was wonderinging if the mta is ever going to get 20/50 like sanitation and nypd??? i been hearing rumors that we are going to get 20/50 when the contract is settled.. thats why they gong to hire alot of bus operators and and every other position... please reply with info and feedback

T B O U is a start and 20/50 you have to remember what agency we at(MTA) even if it goes through that way these people will stop at nothing to change it in time (K)<R>

yeah thats true but they will also save alot more money....

Don't forget either , we're state employees. Not city. What sanitation , NYPD , FDNY get had nothing to do with us. All state employees , MTA , Corrections , State Police , etc. are 25/55 retirement. It's doubtful they're going to give it to one agency if not to all , and if they did , MTA would probably be the last to get it because it's so big and has so may employees. I'm on a little over two years now and I do believe for the people hired with me and those coming after might see 20/50 but definitely not this contract or in the foreseeable future. Rumor has it that is was a done deal with Spitzer in early '08 before the economy tanked and he left , but who knows. Either way , it's not in the cards now. With the upcoming contract any gains are going to be modest and it will be portrayed by the union as a victory that they didn't have to give 'givebacks' or the 'givebacks' were minmimal. The only thing good here is it looks like by all accounts that TBOU is coming in and the old guard is going to be gone. And see if in 3-5 years the membership can't stand the TBOU group ... and on and on and on until retirement. So there ya go ... :o :tup:

And by the way , I just read in the Daily News a week or two ago the new class just hired by NYPD is getting some weird pension tier , I believe Tier 5 , which hasn't been used since the 1970's , and I believe it's 22 years to retire and I'm unsure on the age. So even for city there could be a movement underway to extend their retirements as well.

I was wonderinging if the mta is ever going to get 20/50 like sanitation and nypd??? i been hearing rumors that we are going to get 20/50 when the contract is settled.. thats why they gong to hire alot of bus operators and and every other position... please reply with info and feedback

First thing is that NYPD, NYFD, Sanitation, and Corrections have a 20 and out pension no age restriction. Not all state employees have the 25/55 state police and MTA police have 20 and out.

I don't believe there will ever be a 20/50. The last bill that was introduced was completely cost nuetral meaning that it didn't cost the MTA anything we would have been paying extra for the benefit and it never got out of the ways and means committee. It sat there for the entire year.

The problem is that the TA has to many different titles counted as one bargaining unit. I have been told that if operating personnel were serperate we would have a great chance of getting the 20/50 but they wouldn't want clerks, cleaners, ect. to get the benefit. I believe this to be true, it is also the reason why T/O's are underpaid compared to the LIRR and MNR. The MTA would be willing to give us a bigger raise in certain years but they are NOT willing to give that same raise to every title so we have to get less. In the LIRR and MNR they bargain just for that title everyone doesn't have to get the same exact raise like in the TA.

Don't forget either , we're state employees. Not city. What sanitation , NYPD , FDNY get had nothing to do with us. All state employees , MTA , Corrections , State Police , etc. are 25/55 retirement. It's doubtful they're going to give it to one agency if not to all , and if they did , MTA would probably be the last to get it because it's so big and has so may employees. I'm on a little over two years now and I do believe for the people hired with me and those coming after might see 20/50 but definitely not this contract or in the foreseeable future. Rumor has it that is was a done deal with Spitzer in early '08 before the economy tanked and he left , but who knows. Either way , it's not in the cards now. With the upcoming contract any gains are going to be modest and it will be portrayed by the union as a victory that they didn't have to give 'givebacks' or the 'givebacks' were minmimal. The only thing good here is it looks like by all accounts that TBOU is coming in and the old guard is going to be gone. And see if in 3-5 years the membership can't stand the TBOU group ... and on and on and on until retirement. So there ya go ... :o :tup:

And by the way , I just read in the Daily News a week or two ago the new class just hired by NYPD is getting some weird pension tier , I believe Tier 5 , which hasn't been used since the 1970's , and I believe it's 22 years to retire and I'm unsure on the age. So even for city there could be a movement underway to extend their retirements as well.

thats sounds about right... alot of people say 20/50 is dead and gone and the mta wants 30/62 which is crazy.. who wants to work till they 62...

First thing is that NYPD, NYFD, Sanitation, and Corrections have a 20 and out pension no age restriction. Not all state employees have the 25/55 state police and MTA police have 20 and out.

I don't believe there will ever be a 20/50. The last bill that was introduced was completely cost nuetral meaning that it didn't cost the MTA anything we would have been paying extra for the benefit and it never got out of the ways and means committee. It sat there for the entire year.

The problem is that the TA has to many different titles counted as one bargaining unit. I have been told that if operating personnel were serperate we would have a great chance of getting the 20/50 but they wouldn't want clerks, cleaners, ect. to get the benefit. I believe this to be true, it is also the reason why T/O's are underpaid compared to the LIRR and MNR. The MTA would be willing to give us a bigger raise in certain years but they are NOT willing to give that same raise to every title so we have to get less. In the LIRR and MNR they bargain just for that title everyone doesn't have to get the same exact raise like in the TA.

thats true if they ever announce 20/50 75% whould run right out of there lol... 20 and out sounds real good...they would have to hire alot of b/o ,t/o conductors etc...

thats sounds about right... alot of people say 20/50 is dead and gone and the mta wants 30/62 which is crazy.. who wants to work till they 62...

It used to be 30/62. I can't remember the year but it was less than 20 years ago that it was changed to 25/55.

IMO it will defenitely return to 30/62 for new hires eventually.

It used to be 30/62. I can't remember the year but it was less than 20 years ago that it was changed to 25/55.

IMO it will defenitely return to 30/62 for new hires eventually.

thats real messed up man...i hope im in before they do thT LOL..SMH

62 isn't really that old anymore. You might live another 25-30 yrs. The older that you retire the less of a nest egg you need to have.

I got my Social Security statement. I will get more if I slave till 67 (full retirement age). That is for most workers, so even though 25/55 seems like alot, it is better than what the feds would have me do.......

I think if a lot of the posters ,and the media, could see some of the daily Death Notices we employees see there would be a greater appreciation of what we do. Active employees and the recently retired leave us all the time, probably in greater numbers than Sanitation or NYPD or some of the other titles, city or state, but we're never offered 20-50 or buyouts. We're neither state nor city employees when it comes to retirement benefits. I believe the mayor thinks of us as thugs since the strike and the media picked up on the retirement benefit "crisis" so we're in limbo now.

I got my Social Security statement. I will get more if I slave till 67 (full retirement age). That is for most workers, so even though 25/55 seems like alot, it is better than what the feds would have me do.......

Those born after 1960,have to reach 67 yrs of age before they can start collecting SS,eventually they will raise the retirement ages in small increments. Although for people in your age group you might only collect partial SS. Social Security should be called Social Insecurity.

20 and out sounds so good that i would forgo a raise if thats what it took! but then again, thats why i'll never be a union president

If you were able to win 20 and out for TA employees by giving up a single raise, a golden statue of your likeness would be built on West End Ave to be visited by thousands of transit workers, flowers would be laid at your feet, your birthday would become a national holiday and your new nickname would be El Presidente.

there's an episode of Friends where Pheobe goes up to a guy in a coma and starts yelling "wake up!!!". Monica looks at her like she's crazy and Pheobe goes "what? maybe no one's tried this before".

im sure no union president has ever offered to give up a raise before. maybe it would work. who knows? B)

I believe back in the 70's and 80's you had to work 30 yrs to get a full pension at DSNY. I am not sure about NYPD or FDNY. These 20 and out pensions were hard fought for and I am sure the union leaders want to do everything they can to keep it.

How about this scenario for TA employees,25/62 but you collect 3/4 pension at age 62. Sounds better then 30/60 and maybe even 25/55. Retire older but with a much higher pension.

there's an episode of Friends where Pheobe goes up to a guy in a coma and starts yelling "wake up!!!". Monica looks at her like she's crazy and Pheobe goes "what? maybe no one's tried this before".

im sure no union president has ever offered to give up a raise before. maybe it would work. who knows? :P

thats sounds like a smart thing to do.. i would give up a rise for 20/50. thats sound like take back our union slate would do not united invisiable..lol but it will be a giant step and alot of people would run out the door and retire...they should start off with buyouts to the old timers then gradually do it...

I'm pretty sure if the idea of giving up a raise for 20/50 were to be discussed at a union meeting. Within the next minute, they will scream for the president's resignation. In the minds of most union member, pay raise is the most important. The first thing we talk about first during contract time is how much of a raise will we get.

and alot of people would run out the door and retire...they should start off with buyouts to the old timers then gradually do it...

If the 20/50 were ever passed it had restrictions written into the bill that you couldn't leave for one full year after it was passed.

Unless they start the tier 5 pension there is no reason to try and force out older workers because right now a new guy will make the same money and get the same benefits.

I'm pretty sure if the idea of giving up a raise for 20/50 were to be discussed at a union meeting. Within the next minute, they will scream for the president's resignation. In the minds of most union member, pay raise is the most important. The first thing we talk about first during contract time is how much of a raise will we get.

You'd be surprised how many co-workers have said that they'd jump at the opportunity. Give up a 3% raise to retire 5 years early? Even I would have to vote yes for that, and I need every raise I can get.

Listen, I only know one thing: that I'm outta here when I'm 55 years and 1 day old. Why? Because God didn't promise me 56 let alone 62. I've paid for a 25/55 pension and I plan on using it when the time comes.

Listen, I only know one thing: that I'm outta here when I'm 55 years and 1 day old. Why? Because God didn't promise me 56 let alone 62. I've paid for a 25/55 pension and I plan on using it when the time comes.

amen to that...alot of drivers dont make it..they die like 3 years later...

That is fine,but will you have enough money saved to live off for the next 25-30 yrs if you decide not to work after you retire?

I know all of us are not promised tomorrow but having enough money to live comfortably in retirement is very important.

Archived