20/50???? will we ever live to see the day???

TransitMan23

so then the victory that the twu has declared is that the mta cannot approach the nys legislature for a new pension tier until january 2012?

I think the (MTA) can petition the legislature at any time. So can TWU local 100. The legislature will turn either party down individually because the procedure is that both parties must agree in advance to any changes before the legislature will take it up. What TWU local 100 is saying is that negotiations are over until 2012 so there won't be a joint petition for changes to the pension system. Net effect is the legislature won't even consider it. Historically the legislature will not pass one-sided pension changes. Plus there's the governor's power to veto any such legislation if it ever got that far.

A tad simplistic, don't you think? Those pension tiers would have had to have been agreed to in a whole pile of contracts; since that is highly unlikely...

All that can be negotiated in a contract is the agreement of the two parties to approach the NYS Legislature for a revision to/new tier. The MTA & TWU can no more create a new pension tier than you and I could - that's something the clowns in Albany reserve for themselves.

Ok, I stand corrected; but please, don't get me started on those Albany buffoons.:mad:

I seem to recall the esteemed councilman as being one of Mayor Bloombum's favorites. Correct me if i'm wrong here.

alright guys, tomorrow is your first (and hopefully last) chance to knock David Yassky off the general election ballot with tomorrow's primaries. for those who dont know he is the onlu candidate for comptroller who supports a much worse Tier 5 pension for city employees!!! tier 5 means no more 25/55, would be 30/62. it also means we contribute into the pension fund for our entire careers (rather than just 10 like they do now) and it also means your pension will be based on your high 3 years but overtime will NOT be allowed to be averaged in like it does now. so if your base is $50,000 you have to live off $25,000 a yr for the rest of your life, as opposed to someone who had 3 good years at that same salary but made $80,000 with overtime and would get to live off $40,000 a yr for the rest of their lives! im gonna go with Jon Liu just cuz he seems like he's down to earth

• 2 weeks later...
John Liu won for comptroller!!! major victory for Tier 4! he's expected to mop the floor with the republican running in November. he doesn't rule out Tier 5 but he will not enact it citywide. he will leave it up to the unions and their respective agencies to negotiate

John Liu is heavily favored against republican Joe Mendola..whoever that is.:tup:

• 2 months later...
i guess we wont see 20/50 anytime soon...lol

Sure you will. In old newspaper clippings or history books. If you think the public is riled up with the student pass controversy and the arbitration award imagine the outcry over 20/50. In reading the comments on the online editions of the Times and the Daily News lately it seems unions are the cause of the problems at the (MTA), NYC, NYS, California, GM and any other ailing entity in this country.

Sure you will. In old newspaper clippings or history books. If you think the public is riled up with the student pass controversy and the arbitration award imagine the outcry over 20/50. In reading the comments on the online editions of the Times and the Daily News lately it seems unions are the cause of the problems at the (MTA), NYC, NYS, California, GM and any other ailing entity in this country.

Exactly, with the NYPD taking away the 20 and out for new hires and the invention of tier 5 30/62 ,20/50 for TWU personal is most definitely dead. I mean not like it was ever a reality to begin with LOL. And does anyone know when the contractual raises will go into effect and when we should expect the retro checks?.

Exactly, with the NYPD taking away the 20 and out for new hires and the invention of tier 5 30/62 ,20/50 for TWU personal is most definitely dead. I mean not like it was ever a reality to begin with LOL. And does anyone know when the contractual raises will go into effect and when we should expect the retro checks?.

Knowing how these people who we work for are...

Just dont go run out and buy "pricey" gifts if you are kinda tight on kiznash...

Gotta love these idiots. I guess they forgot all about the historical abuses by management in early America when unions didn't exist, weren't recognized, or were broken by the antitrust laws designed to hurt unethical businesses. And when work weeks were incredibly long, pay was little or nothing, and workplace injuries were not compensated. These people should be thanking the unions for the fact that there is now OSHA, child labor laws, and many other things that gave them the opportunities they have, so as to not need a union and still be able to consider themselves successful enough to look down on anyone in a union.

Hypocritical. Uneducated. a**holes.

Book smart, but not real world smart.

for those that dont know, tier one had 20/50 or 20 and out and gave it up for more benefits and money. they are not going to give back something we gave up. we should be realistic about it and try to fight for 25 and out or 25/50 since so many people are starting in their 20's.

for those that dont know, tier one had 20/50 or 20 and out and gave it up for more benefits and money. they are not going to give back something we gave up. we should be realistic about it and try to fight for 25 and out or 25/50 since so many people are starting in their 20's.

lets wait for the new union president and see what he does..

TRUE!!!, but I don't even think in this climate that is going on with local 100 and the (MTA) that we will ever see 25/50 either. Agencies in this city and state want you to work longer and retire with less benefits. So them giving us a better pension system doesn't seem realistic at this time.

My two cents - 20/50 is not only dead , the body was torched with a flamethrower and the ashes were scattered in an abandoned tunnel. With that being said , it's dead for NOW. Economies run in cycles and the economy is going to improve eventually , and it will decline again , then improve , etc. I'm on 2 1/2 years , by the time I hit 25 years on this job I expect at least two more boom times and one to two more economic crashes. So for those with less than a decade to go down here to hit 25 , it's unlikely to see it. For those with more time to go , it's a possibility in the future when the economy recovers and the environment for it is right , possibly in a decade or so. Then again , it might not happen. But just because it's not in sight at the moment or in the near future doesn't mean it will never happen. What it's going to take most likely is for the economy to improve over a steady period of time until we hit another boom like we went through early in the decade and for one union that doesn't have it to get it , then everyone will want it and probably get it. It could be us leading the way but my money is on the police being the first to go back to 20 year retirements or 20/50. Time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived