T/O's: What is the fastest you ever went on an IRT train?

R142/A 340

My speedometer on the R62A Bombs, always go to 99mph when I leave Dyckman on the (1). Why do they all seem to do that there, I don't know......

On the B'way Express from 72nd st to 42st, I have hit 48mph, the same I have gotten in the Joralemon St. tubes from Manhattan to Brookyln.......

My speedometer on the R62A Bombs, always go to 99mph when I leave Dyckman on the (1). Why do they all seem to do that there, I don't know......

There's a "leaky" street light in that location - a slightly mis-adjusted sensor reads the flicker of the lamp as the train speed.

On the B'way Express from 72nd st to 42st, I have hit 48mph, the same I have gotten in the Joralemon St. tubes from Manhattan to Brookyln.......

S/b B'way express between 72 and 42 is the fastest section of the IRT. My top speed was 53mph on a Redbird. Of course, you then need to pull a really big brake to not hit the timer.:o

I've seen a T/O hit 58 on the Flushing Express once (it was a R62A, and that's what the speedo said)

There are the same speedometer problems on those trains too. They would go to numbers you know you ain't going. I had a train do it 3 stops in a row. When I stopped, it would still say 30+ before going down to zero, after the doors opened........

The other spot I hit 47-48 is on the <6> N/B from Morrison-Soundview to St. Lawrence. Problem is that speed is short lived as you have timers coming into Parkchester, and one has to be doing 16-18mph for those to clear.........

There's a "leaky" street light in that location - a slightly mis-adjusted sensor reads the flicker of the lamp as the train speed.

S/b B'way express between 72 and 42 is the fastest section of the IRT. My top speed was 53mph on a Redbird. Of course, you then need to pull a really big brake to not hit the timer.B)

I agree with the S/B 7th Ave express comment. I've hit 50+ in that section on Redbirds and R62A cars before the equipment was slowed down. I never really trusted the readings on those speed indicators though. I was on a relay at Utica Ave, standing still, and a northbound (3) passed me and the indicator jumped up from 0 to 8 mph for about 10 seconds before it zeroed out.

So how does the speedometer calculate the speed? Why are they so inaccurate? You would think that in such a safety sensitive operation, they would be calibrated to be accurate.

On the older equipment the speedometers were installed as an afterthought. The first time I saw it on the (5) it was on a married pair IIRC 9022-23. I told my motor instructor, who was riding outside my cab, to watch the speedometer while I made station stops. The first 3 stops I made, Baychester, Gun Hill, and Pelham Parkway, were notoriously fast on the Dyre line. Each time the speed indicator reached zero I was already leaving the station. I think they were installed to give a general approximation of the train's speed because before that time we operated on a feel system. If you drive a car or truck you can tell without looking if you're doing 10, 25, or 40 mph. The RCIs I've spoken with say the NTT have a doppler based system which is supposedly more accurate. I say supposedly because any C/R or T/O who has been on a NTT when it goes out of synch at station stops knows that this doppler based system also has it's flaws. For example on the Lex Exp it's prone to go on the fritz any time the stations are more than 20+ blocks apart. Bowling Green to Brooklyn Bridge are OK but 86th St to 125th St well sometimes the announcements play at the right time but sometime the " this is 125th St doesn't begin to play until you are leaving the station.

I thought the NTT station announcements were done based on the amount wheels revolved based from station to station.

Which is the same component that gives you your speed reading. The doppler is supposedly reading the revolutions from the axle on one of the trucks but if it isn't reading the info properly the distance traveled as well as the speed itself are wrong. Hence the announcements fail to come on at the proper time or that ten mile an hour displayed on your speed indicator was really 8 mph or 17 mph. Meanwhile a TSS is on the platform doing speed checks with his gun and his or her reading is probably more accurate than the one in your cab. Remember GIGO applies to the onboard computer on the train too.

I thought the NTT station announcements were done based on the amount wheels revolved based from station to station.

That is why on elevated structures when the rails are wet, you can get the announcements being way off. I have been on a train on the (4) line, going N/B, where the 170st announcement would be played, while we were coming into 167st, and at 170 Mt. Eden would be played, etc..... Why? Wheel slippage and that throws the announcements off.......

That is why on elevated structures when the rails are wet, you can get the announcements being way off. I have been on a train on the (4) line, going N/B, where the 170st announcement would be played, while we were coming into 167st, and at 170 Mt. Eden would be played, etc..... Why? Wheel slippage and that throws the announcements off.......

Which then causes flat spots, which then causes a bumpy ride.

isnt the longest speed a train can go is 65 MPH after the 1995 incident?

there aren't any spots in the system where a train can go over 60 mph, fastest is queensbound in the 60th street tunnel on the (N)(R)(W). 58 mph was max recorded speed, and only because of the downhill and the rare 50 mph timer. i don't think a train would be able to break 50 on level track, maybe the R160's, but certainly not the SMEE's.

EDIT: before the 1995 incident, before they removed field shunting (this makes the trains go faster, for more in-depth explaination, go here:http://www.railway-technical.com/tract-01.shtml , and look under "field weakening") from the DC propulsion system, it would have been more likely that a train would be able to hit 65 mph in the system, most notably the stretch between howard beach and far rockaway, 60th street tunnel, uptown on the (A)(D) between 59th and l125th, The Queens BLVD line (E)(F), Brighton line (;)

Culver Line (F), Sea Beach Line (N), the West End Line (D), and not to mention the stretch on the 4th AVE line from 36th street to Atlantic AVE on the (N)(D).

Archived