Staten Island ferry hard landing injures 15 at St. George pier

Dave160

More than a dozen passengers were injured Wednesday night when a packed Staten Island ferry lost power as it was docking and smashed into a pier, officials said.

Panic quickly spread among the passengers of the 2,700-ton John J. Marchi ferry when the captain announced over loudspeakers that the ship had no power, witnesses said.

"He kept repeating, 'Passengers, hold on. Passengers, hold on,' " said rider Daniel Kusrow, 38.

"It was clear something was about to happen. The first impact was impressive. It popped open the security doors. It was like a car hitting a wall," said Kusrow, of St. George, S.I.

The boat carrying about 600 people slammed into the pier in St. George about 7:15 p.m.

The FDNY said 15 people suffered minor injuries. Some of the injured were taken to Richmond University Medical Center.

"It was like a big jolt," said Wall Street finance worker Peter Reilly. Because of the "crash a couple of years ago, your instinct is to hold on, which is what I did."

The Andrew J. Barberi crashed into a concrete pier at the St. George terminal on Oct. 15, 2003, killing 11 people, one of the worst mass transit accidents in the city.

Drug and alcohol tests have been ordered for the ferry crew, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/07/01/2009-07-01_staten_island_ferry_hard_landing_injures_10_at_st_george_station.html#ixzz0K6bzliUH&C

post-1447-133288580635_thumb.jpg

post-1447-133288580635_thumb.jpg

I thought after the tragic 2002(or 2003)SI Ferry accident, the changes made by NYC DOT would prevent another incident for many years to come. Oh well. :o Hopefully else everyone on board is safe.

At least 15 people have been hurt, New York Fire Department officials said. Ten of the injuries are minor, the other five were more serious.

The ferry boat may have temporarily lost power after hitting a docking ramp. Crews were able to restore power and complete the docking maneuver.

A couple of pics....

ferry3_20090701203939_320_240.JPG

ferry1_20090701203939_320_240.JPG

Well this really doesn't make up for my feeling that every time the ferry is about to dock in the terminal, I have a sensation it will crash. I guess it did again. This year has definitely been nothing but bad luck in public transportation mostly in the U.S. :confused:

Well welcome back to 2002. Another Boat Crash. The SIF needs to improve a bit. I wish em luck of course..

@Hudson River it was 2002

Nope, unless you're confusing it with something else, it was October, 2003.

I don't like boats, i don't like trains, and i don't like planes. All for the same reason: When there's an accident on any of these modes of Transportation, there's a 99.9% chance that it'll be fatal... lucky for us. this is that 0.1% that's not, and i hope those people can be healed

My mom gets sea sick on ferry, but not me.

Maybe, Staten Island Ferry should reduce speed when it's docking at both terminals.

Slightly little off-topic, before I move here, my mom and I took ferry from South Island of Japan to main island of Japan. My mom got sea sick.

I wonder how come there's no accident from IKEA Ferry and Governors Island ferry?

That's because those two ferry services have boats that are a lot smaller in size , so therefore if a smaller boat losing power would still be able to maneuver docking smoothly as compared to a SI Ferry. Free boat service or not they still have to make the same NYC DOT requirements and as well as other safety requirements.

The assumption is that free services have lower standards than a fee service.

Sure we can all say that, but when it comes to riding it, who wants to pay? I'm sure captains have set standards and still get paid by the city, just as if they worked for someone else. I can't think of one reason why you would intentionally crash the boat and hurt people... that's just more problems for them.

I don't like boats, i don't like trains, and i don't like planes. All for the same reason: When there's an accident on any of these modes of Transportation, there's a 99.9% chance that it'll be fatal... lucky for us. this is that 0.1% that's not, and i hope those people can be healed

Airplanes are dangers....they're like a deathtrap.

What do you travel on then? Always take the car?

Car crashes can be fatal too.

Again? I'm not surprised since the Ferry is free.

There have been several incidents during the Staten Island Ferry's official lifetime:

On February 8, 1958, the Dongan Hills was hit by a Norwegian tanker Tynefield. 15 were injured.

In 1978, the American Legion crashed into the concrete seawall near the Statue of Liberty ferry port during a dense fog. 173 were injured.

On May 16, 1981, the American Legion was rammed, again in fog, by a Norwegian freighter.

On July 7, 1986, a deranged man, Juan Gonzalez attacked passengers with a machete. Two were killed and nine were injured.

On April 12, 1995, the Andrew J. Barberi rammed its slip at St. George due to a mechanical malfunction. The doors on the saloon deck were crushed by the adjustable aprons, which a quick-thinking bridgeman lowered to help stop the oncoming ferryboat. Several people were injured.

On September 19, 1997, a car plunged off the John F. Kennedy as it was docking in Staten Island, causing minor injuries to the driver and a deckhand who was knocked overboard.

All of these occurred while there was still a 50 cent round-trip fare. So accidents on the ferry are nothing new and have occurred regardless of the cost of riding the ferry.

Archived