Maybe the V should operate via the 63rd Street Line.

hoodciti

sir may i ask you how many customers were served between (F) stations from 179st - roosevelt ave im sure each of those stations numbers are bigger tahn the numbers u just gave for four stations and the majority of these people jump off the f train at union tpke or roosevelt ave for teh 53rd st (E) do u take the (F) during the morning rush

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people who live at Queensbridge Houses and Roosevelt Island prefer 6th Avenue. It seems like some people want the (F) to go back to 53rd Street just so they can see a greater disaster.

Exactly. If people in Queens want 53rd street service express service take the (E). If they want 63rd street express service take the (F). It's very simple. And as I stated before, many people benefit from the (F) via 63rd street, yet a lot of people here don't seem to care.

And no one here answered my question. What other reason (and I want a good one) besides nostalgia do you want the (F) to run via 53rd?

for the record you are right but the (Q) is the train that ran at those stops during the am and pm rush and the stations did open in 1989 and as a (F) rider most of the people who get on at queensbridge or roosevelt island jump off at 63rd st lex and dont even go down to 6th ave and the jamaica and forest hills riders of the (F) are just as important as the riders down the 63rd st corridor and they want the (F) down 53rd st

for the record you are right but the (Q) is the train that ran at those stops during the am and pm rush and the stations did open in 1989 and as a (F) rider most of the people who get on at queensbridge or roosevelt island jump off at 63rd st lex and dont even go down to 6th ave and the jamaica and forest hills riders of the (F) are just as important as the riders down the 63rd st corridor and they want the (F) down 53rd st

Why can't they take the (E) train? If they are in Queens and want to go via 53rd street, they could just take the (E).

If they want to go via 6th Ave, it would better for them to go via 63rd street. Because then they will have access to 57th street.

to answer the gentlemen question i have rode the (F) down 53rd st many times and the (F) had more ridership when it did go down 53rd st and was a better line with more transfer options and it still goes down 53rd st on certain go at night and weekends

Just my two cents but as a subway rider for SIX decades, and an RTO employee for half that, I think the present routiing of the (F)(V) and (Q) lines was done correctly. I know for a fact the present (F) route was established to alleviate the overcrowding at the 53rd-Lex station specifically which is why it will never return there on a regular basis. As far as the (Q) running on the QBL it has already been established that the corridor is already at capacity, right behind the IRT Lex corridor. Even if you wanted to do it there isn't a terminal, Forest Hills, 179th, or Jamaica Center, that could handle it. As far as the (V) line is concerned, it serves a very important purpose as far as the (E),(F) situation at 53rd- Lex was concerned. It reduced the overcrowding at that station somewhat while giving some of the QBL local riders a one seat ride to Manhattan instead of jamming up the Queens Plaza station with local riders waiting for the (R) to finally show up. The people who paid the price are the (G) riders though.

to answer the gentlemen question i have rode the (F) down 53rd st many times and the (F) had more ridership when it did go down 53rd st and was a better line with more transfer options and it still goes down 53rd st on certain go at night and weekends

Okay I was the gentleman you was reffering to. One I also rode the (F) via 53rd Street and both the (E) and (F) train was packed to the bone, also the platforms were extra crowded. It was so bad to the point they have let trains skip Lexington Avenue-53rd Street during rush hours. Now that made the (V) replace the (F) via 53rd Street. The (F) went via 63rd Street ridership increased tremendously. Daily News had written an article about how ridership increased when the (F) runs via 63rd Street. So the (F) via 63rd Street is the best thing (MTA) had done thus so far so there is no reason for the (F) to go back to 53rd Street!

Just my two cents but as a subway rider for SIX decades, and an RTO employee for half that, I think the present routiing of the (F)(V) and (Q) lines was done correctly. I know for a fact the present (F) route was established to alleviate the overcrowding at the 53rd-Lex station specifically which is why it will never return there on a regular basis. As far as the (Q) running on the QBL it has already been established that the corridor is already at capacity, right behind the IRT Lex corridor. Even if you wanted to do it there isn't a terminal, Forest Hills, 179th, or Jamaica Center, that could handle it. As far as the (V) line is concerned, it serves a very important purpose as far as the (E),(F) situation at 53rd- Lex was concerned. It reduced the overcrowding at that station somewhat while giving some of the QBL local riders a one seat ride to Manhattan instead of jamming up the Queens Plaza station with local riders waiting for the (R) to finally show up. The people who paid the price are the (G) riders though.

Jamaica-179th Street can handle more trains than it already serves. But if the Queens Boulevard express tracks are already at capacity then maybe its best to keep the (Q) off, although I would like to see direct express service to 179th Street. But I doubt if there's any demand for that, especially from (Q) riders.

sorry to disagree with you sir but there is no way that (F) ridership has increased since it went over 63rd st the ridership on the (F) was much higher over 53rd st furthermore have there been any deaths at 53rd and lexington due to congestion on the platform and im sure the platform at grand central is congested doesnt mean they are re routing trains because of it

sorry to disagree with you sir but there is no way that (F) ridership has increased since it went over 63rd st the ridership on the (F) was much higher over 53rd st furthermore have there been any deaths at 53rd and lexington due to congestion on the platform and im sure the platform at grand central is congested doesnt mean they are re routing trains because of it

Do you have proof? R160B has backup. Do you have anything to back up what you say? If you don't, then your words are meaningless.

sorry to disagree with you sir but there is no way that (F) ridership has increased since it went over 63rd st the ridership on the (F) was much higher over 53rd st

Can you support that with statistics?

furthermore have there been any deaths at 53rd and lexington due to congestion on the platform and im sure the platform at grand central is congested doesnt mean they are re routing trains because of it

Does that really mean anything? I'm pretty sure that the 63rd St (F) is the way to go, simply because of what has been said already, and that an actual motorman has backed it up.

wow! so much bikering over something we have no control over. here are facts as stated by many on this thread:

The (V) was created to provide service for QBL local stops to midtown and replace the (F). (F) ridership may not be as crowded as it was while on 53 st but that was what the (MTA) was aiming for wasnt it? from 53rd if you want exp you hop on the (E). if you want lcl you hop on the (V). and as far as the (Q) on QBL, are you insane??? Do work in the towers on QBL??? are you even over 18??? theres a reason why theres NEVER 5 lines running on QBL at the same time! and what would you do when SAS opens? what line would you put on 2nd ave???......exactly. The (Q) is fine as is.

If one boards a train between Roosevelt ave and Qns Plaza and need 6th ave service you take the (V). you dont need to change to the (F) at Qns Plaza cause both trains are lcl on 6th!! But who thinks about that huh?

ive recently went thru 53rd/Lex dirung an afternoon rush and ive seen a BIG improvement with passenger flow compared to the pre-63rd ST years.

I was one on those commuters back in the 90s who used 53/Lex station, and might i say it was a disaster! Everytrain was a sardine can! creating the (V) and rerouting the (F) was the best thing the (MTA) did.

now over all this talk of rerouting the (E) and extending the (R) to 179st, read up on your NYC Subway history. Its been done, and changed! and for the record, there are selected rush hour (E) trains that do serve 179. one reason why, Jamaica Ctr has 2 tracks and lots of timers. slow! and the line east of continental does not need a 3rd line truthfully.

Service patterns and routes are the way they are as it is and theres a GREAT reason why.....The NEEDS of the MANY outway the needs of the FEW. All you are doing is trying to make every train and every line serve every station when YOU need it. We all pay out 2.25!

And props the the RTO employees here who try to put some sense into the foamers here. you truley know how things run. they dont.

Jamaica-179th Street can handle more trains than it already serves. But if the Queens Boulevard express tracks are already at capacity then maybe its best to keep the (Q) off, although I would like to see direct express service to 179th Street. But I doubt if there's any demand for that, especially from (Q) riders.

You answered your own question. There's no demand for it. When the (R) used to go to 179, it was very unpopular. Trains skipping any of those "local" stops past CTL would annoy riders there too.

Queens Blvd Exp is already at capacity.

Queens Blvd Lcl is not at capacity, but adding further service would cause delays at CTL because of the amount of time it takes to relay a train there. This was one of the original sreason the (G) has been gradually cut back from CTL.

But I'm speaking the truth....someone posted the article on here. There is no way ridership increased with the (F) via 53rd Street when (E) and (F) trains had the same amount of passengers. Also you can't compare the Lexington Avenue Line with any IND/BMT Lines. Grand Central is always crowded b/c its only one subway line on the East side of Manhattan. Accidents, suicides and deaths have nothing to do with the (F) and (V) switching places. (MTA) wanted to relief the crowding @ Lexington Avenue-53rd Street, so again the (F) going down 63rd Street is the best thing ever!

Queens Blvd Lcl is not at capacity, but adding further service would cause delays at CTL because of the amount of time it takes to relay a train there. This was one of the original sreason the (G) has been gradually cut back from CTL.

and because the (G) does not serve MAnhattan. which is what the MANY want.

my proof is getting on the (F) every morning at 845 and seeing everyone get off at union tpke and run across the platform to already crowded (E) going to the desired 53rd st and the (F) becoming empty and then when arriving at roosevelt ave and another mass exit of people getting off and not catching the local (V) train to go down 53rd st but waiting for the already overcrowded (E) express to go down 53rd st that is my proof thank you

But I'm speaking the truth....someone posted the article on here. There is no way ridership increased with the (F) via 53rd Street when (E) and (F) trains had the same amount of passengers. Also you can't compare the Lexington Avenue Line with any IND/BMT Lines. Grand Central is always crowded b/c its only one subway line on the East side of Manhattan. Accidents, suicides and deaths have nothing to do with the (F) and (V) switching places. (MTA) wanted to relief the crowding @ Lexington Avenue-53rd Street, so again the (F) going down 63rd Street is the best thing ever!

well said

and to put your proof in perspective (F) ridership could be up or equal to(E) ridership because the (F) is a longer route which serves the lower east side and brooklyn and the (E) do not serve brooklyn and is a much shorter route than the (F) so there fore based on numbers tehy could be equal but the (E) is much more used in queens than the (F) and thats a fact

my proof is getting on the (F) every morning at 845 and seeing everyone get off at union tpke and run across the platform to already crowded (E) going to the desired 53rd st and the (F) becoming empty and then when arriving at roosevelt ave and another mass exit of people getting off and not catching the local (V) train to go down 53rd st but waiting for the already overcrowded (E) express to go down 53rd st that is my proof thank you

so you know for a fact that EVERY single one of those riders are going to 53rd? what about if they are going to 8th ave? what if they wanna get to the (7) at roosevelt ave just a few minutes quicker? Thats not proof, thats observation from one trip a day!

Archived