Railfan Trip 07/17/09

I haven't made concrete plans yet, just sketchy ones which I will stitch together once I finish uploading pics and whatnot. The trip will probably start around 11 AM and here are my plans:

SMEE on the (V)

207th St. Yard

Concourse Yard

The (1) in the Bronx

The (6) along the Pelham Line

The Bx12 SBS (probably will be used to connect btwn. (1) and (6))

The Astoria Line (N)(W)

New MCI Hunting

JFK NG Hunting (and if it shows up, 5926!)

Who's interested? I'll expand on these ideas and make an actual itinerary in the coming days.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Maserati, but I'm only free Fri-Sun, and G.O.s on weekends would probably ruin this trip...(no (V)/(W), etc.). I'll try to organize the next one so you can come.

Trip Plans in Order

The Astoria Line (N)(W)

The (!) in the Bronx

207th St. Yard

Concourse Yard

New MCI Hunting

SMEE on the(V)

JFK NG Hunting

Cost

Fare – I know Stan and Dom have unlimited cards, and I have a pass so this shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re paying w/ a money card then I think we’re spending $6.75 on fare (or we would be anyway) but you should double check anyway (transfers and all).

Food - $5 – We’re probably gonna go to a McDonalds/Subway/Wendy’s or w/e depending on what people want to eat.

Total – Bring about $10-12 and you should be fine. I want this to be cheap…($3-5 if Unlimited)

11:00 - We will meet up at QBP. I will be there by 10:45 probably in case anyone’s early. We will be meeting at the last car (west end) of the upper level (right by both the famous curves on the (7) and (N)).

11:05 - 12:00 - (N)(W) to Ditmars, taking photo stops at 39th Ave., 30th Ave., and Astoria Blvd. The entire line should take about 30 minutes. Then we’ll take the (N)(W) to Times Sq. and transfer to the (1)

12:00 – (1) up to 231st St. Photo stops will be at 96th (if people wanna stop here), 125th, 215th, and 225th. This should last about 40 minutes.

12:45 (approx) – Bx1 to Bedford Park Bld. (D) and take a look at what’s in Concourse Yard…

1:00 – Take the (D) down to Fordham Road to SBS over to Pelham Bay Park

1:30 – Take the (6) down to City Hall (or 4/5 down to Bowling Green) to go MCI hunting (IDK which location is better)

3:00 – Take the (6) to the (V) at Bleecker (we might take it to Astor for a train downtown)

3:15 – Take the (V) to Forest Hills with some photo stops TBA

4:00 – Take the (E)(F) to Union TPK for busfan ops

4:20 – Q60 to Jamaica to end the trip with Jamaica busfanning

I still have to decide where we’re eating lunch.

Finalized plans coming tmrw.

Instead of doing the (D) you can squeeze sumin for the IRT WPR Line. You can take the Bx28 to Gun Hill Road(Get a view from there or stops as Burke/Allerton Aves and from there on take the (2) to Pelham Pkway for Bx12SBS.. But its a suggestion tho. But of course i like the plan u have! Best wishs :cool:

Instead of doing the (D) you can squeeze sumin for the IRT WPR Line. You can take the Bx28 to Gun Hill Road(Get a view from there or stops as Burke/Allerton Aves and from there on take the (2) to Pelham Pkway for Bx12SBS.. But its a suggestion tho. But of course i like the plan u have! Best wishs :cool:

Sorry man, after doing the times for this trip I realized it's a bit long and we can't fit more routes into it. I'm definitely doing WPR for my next trip though (Henry's next trip next week probably) and I really want to also...

This trip still scheduled for the 17th...Friday? I can make it, I haven't seen anyone in a while (damn June weather put the kibosh on the camera).

PLEASE COME!!!! We'd be the ub3r chill railfan group...me, you, Stan, Dom, and Dave whom you will meet tomorrow if you do come.

Alright guys here's the final plan in case any of you will still be on to read this before the trip:

The Astoria Line (N)/(W)

The (1) in the Bronx

207th St. Yard

Concourse Yard

New MCI Hunting

SMEE on the (V)

Jamaica Busfanning

Cost

Fare – I know Stan and Dom have unlimited cards, and I have a pass so this shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re paying w/ a money card then we are using 4 rides so buy a fun pass which is $8.25 and will save you $.75 over buying a regular card.

Food - $3-4 – We’re eating at a Subway restaurant near the Bedford Park Blvd. station right after we get off the Bx10 because by then it should be around 1:30.

Total – Bring about $10-12 and you should be fine. I want this to be cheap. ($3-5 if Unlimited)

11:00 - Meet up at QBP. I will be there by 10:45 probably in case anyone is early. We will be meeting at the last car (west end) of the upper level (right by both the famous curves on the (7) and (N)).

11:05 – Ride 1 - (N)(W) to Ditmars, taking photo stops at 39th Ave., 30th Ave., Astoria + Ditmars

11:30 – Ditmars to Times Sq.

12:15 – (1) to 231st St. with photo stops at 96th, 125th, 215th, 225th and 231st

12:55– Bx10 to Bedford Park Blvd. and eat lunch at Subway Restaurant

1:30 – Ride 2 - After viewing Concourse YD, take the (4) down to Fordham Road to SBS over to Pelham Bay Park (busfan op there)

2:00 – Ride 3 - Take the (6) down to 51st St to go MCI hunting at 50th and 5th, w/ photo stops at PBP, Castle Hill, Westchester, Parkchester, Whitlock

3:00 – Ride 4 - Take the (V) from Rock to Forest Hills with photo stops at Rock, Bryant, and other stops depending on our mood

3:30 – Take the (E)(F) to Union TPK for busfan ops

4:15 – Q60 to Jamaica to end the trip with Jamaica busfanning

This is the final plan. The schedule seems wrong to me but I guess we’ll just see how it goes tomorrow. We’re planning on ending between 4-5 PM making the trip last 5-6 hours (kind of long...). I'll be wearing a Jamaica shirt tomorrow so you guys can figure out where I am.

Archived