Should the (N) and (R) trains switch northern terminals?

blkfire765

The (R) not having a yard to operate from is exactly the reason why the (N) and (R) switched terminals back in the 80s, and why they will stay this way for years to come.
What he said. They swapped terminals ages ago. I don't see any good reason to swap it again.

There was a instance where the (R) back in the early 90s wanted to go to Astoria via 59th Street. It would then change to a (N). This was done from 95 to 96 during the 90's reconstruction of the Manny B. This was done as lack of service on the local caused many battery run would be an effect. BTW this was done with a R32.

why do people constantly create these threads about lines switching spots or terminals, with no actual reason behind it besides that "it would be nice" or they would "like it that way", it kinda bugs me. No offence

I have to agree...state an opinion on how it would benefit riders, if you feel that way. My proposal to have three locals and expresses on Queens Boulevard was made in interest to how other riders would like the change, and not myself only.

And do not expect the (N) and the (R) to swap terminals anytime soon...not gonna happen because they confronted this in the 80s.

May 24, 1987

(N) runs to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd

(R) runs to Forest Hills-71 Av

Zach

As a result, the (R) now calls Jamaica home because before it would have to short-turn at 59th Street and travel light to Coney Island, whereas the (N) had two yards. It no longer has to do that.

i know that the (R) will not have a yard to operate from ,but would it not be nice to see the (N) run on Queens Blvd and (R) to Ditmars Blvd?

Face it, you were born too late. You missed the 1964 World's Fair, and you missed the ®'s going to Astoria. Oh well.

i know that the (R) will not have a yard to operate from ,but would it not be nice to see the (N) run on Queens Blvd and (R) to Ditmars Blvd?

I would like to know what is the rationale, motive or benefit of this switch?

The (R) will lose direct access to Jamaica Yard and things are messy since it calls for costly moves to Jamaica Yd. More overtime, eh? And it depends on what route people want to take. Over along the Astoria line, people want the express service in Manhattan, you want to give them a local now?

The (R) will lose direct access to Jamaica Yard and things are messy since it calls for costly moves to Jamaica Yd. More overtime, eh?

Now waaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute, let's hear her out. She might have a very good idea here! (R) to Astoria, I like it!!!

overtime is great as well! but i would love to take the (N) train home from school some days... and it's not like the (R) train is so great in the queens Blvd line... it takes long to come and is so full! would also be nice to give the (R) a break and shorten its route, right?

overtime is great as well! but i would love to take the (N) train home from school some days... and it's not like the (R) train is so great in the queens Blvd line... it takes long to come and is so full! would also be nice to give the (R) a break and shorten its route, right?

Overtime adds up... soon that adds up to another fare hike.

Other routes are long as well, like the C or the A. We can't really go around "shortening" routes based on the thought that they are too "long". Now say, if the Astoria line has a yard of its own, or the R has some connection to CIY, the switcharoo would make sense.

Well other lines around the system take much longer to arrive and are much more packed than the R on the QBL. Trust me. I've once waited 40 minutes for the 4 train to arrive and it was unbelievably packed. That was the 9th of December, I remember. No lie. And on the 4, sometimes I would have to stand up for the entire ride (from Brooklyn Bridge to Bedford Park Boulevard, the Bronx). Shouldn't complain much about the R, there's always another option there on the QBL.

you've got a point! i can take any train home from school and they all pass throught the QBline... but if you think about it there are no trains on the queens blvd line that run exp in manhatten!

(E)-8th av LCL

(F)-6th av LCL

(R)-Broadway LCL

(V)-6th av LCL

adding the (N) will give EXP in manhattan to queens blvd commuters, right?

you've got a point! i can take any train home from school and they all pass throught the QBline... but if you think about it there are no trains on the queens blvd line that run exp in manhatten!

(E)-8th av LCL

(F)-6th av LCL

(R)-Broadway LCL

(V)-6th av LCL

adding the (N) will give EXP in manhattan to queens blvd commuters, right?

You do bring up a good point, and before the switch the (N) was Express. But maybe Queens Boulevard riders want Manhattan Local service right now. No opinion on what would happen if they want Express instead.

if you want the (N) and (R) to switch terminals in Queens, you will have to do that in Brooklyn as well, have the (N) go to Bay Ridge-95th Street and the (R) to Stillwell Avenue via Sea Beach, which i really do not think is a good idea. Sea Beach will not be happy having a 4th Avenue and Broadway Local service on their line considering how pissed they were during the 18 years the Manhattan Bridge was shut down. speaking of (R) on the Sea Beach, can anyone tell me where do those (R) trains that i see running light on the express track go to and why?

if you want the (N) and (R) to switch terminals in Queens, you will have to do that in Brooklyn as well, have the (N) go to Bay Ridge-95th Street and the (R) to Stillwell Avenue via Sea Beach, which i really do not think is a good idea. Sea Beach will not be happy having a 4th Avenue and Broadway Local service on their line considering how pissed they were during the 18 years the Manhattan Bridge was shut down. speaking of (R) on the Sea Beach, can anyone tell me where do those (R) trains that i see running light on the express track go to and why?

There are a few (R) trains that will run to the Coney Island Yard, surprisingly. They will turn off at 59th Street and head to Coney Island. Sure, the R46s that run on the (R) are not based out of Coney island but extra trains will stay there if they're not needed. R46 (F) trains are seen in Coney Island as well.

Face it, you were born too late. You missed the 1964 World's Fair, and you missed the ®'s going to Astoria. Oh well.

It is true for some of us however back in the 80's <R><R> with R32

did run to Astoria and those cool ®44's Queens Blvd local (N) ran those were the days huh I miss the heavy screeeeeching from those cars

but it is just (A) thought if they was to run to date (K)<R>

all great responses! (N) running LCL in queens and EXP in manhattan would be ok.... we need exp in manhtn on queens blvd!

I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA decided to extend the (Q) to operate via Queens Boulevard as a Local and make the (R) express, or vice versa. But whether or not Queens Boulevard can handle three expresses is the catch (although Broadway and Sixth Avenue previously ran three expresses during the weekdays, so it's a possibility).

I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA decided to extend the (Q) to operate via Queens Boulevard as a Local and make the (R) express, or vice versa. But whether or not Queens Boulevard can handle three expresses is the catch (although Broadway and Sixth Avenue previously ran three expresses during the weekdays, so it's a possibility).
Not possible. The Broadway and 6th ave. expresses weren't at max track capacity (all the services had an average of under 10 TPH). This is not the case with QB express service.

Not possible. The Broadway and 6th ave. expresses weren't at max track capacity (all the services had an average of under 10 TPH). This is not the case with QB express service.

It's kinda weird. The (:P, (D) and (Q6), three services, all fit on Sixth Avenue but two services, the (E) and the (F), can barely fit on Queens Boulevard?

Archived