Should the (N) and (R) trains switch northern terminals?

blkfire765

But I already do: at the 11th Street Cut and north of Bay Ridge Ave. That equals about 45 seconds of sunlight per day.
Just enough for me. :cool: but it's also possible to get more. Just take your train to Astoria instead of going to Continental, I'm sure you'll be able to get a looootttt of sunshine from doing that. :cool::P

hehe i understand i meant in the context that you would enjoy an (R) run that takes the train above ground like in Astoria.

Well maybe if the (R) goes to Staten Island like proposed for decades then maybe it will see daylight for once.

you've got a point! i can take any train home from school and they all pass throught the QBline... but if you think about it there are no trains on the queens blvd line that run exp in manhatten!

(E)-8th av LCL

(F)-6th av LCL

(R)-Broadway LCL

(V)-6th av LCL

adding the (N) will give EXP in manhattan to queens blvd commuters, right?

Well, it doesn't make that much a difference regarding express service in Manhattan for the E and the F lines.

Look, on the 6th Avenue line, there are only TWO stations that are exclusively local: 14th and 23rd.

On the E line, only 50th, 23rd and Spring Streets are the local stations along the Eighth Avenue line.

Based on the current trackage, it makes almost perfect sense that the Sixth Avenue locals to enter the QBL. The bridge lines (B, D) connect straight to the 6th Avenue expresses and the CPW line. In rationale, it makes sense for the E to be the 8th Avenue local, considering its length in Manhattan and the trackage. If the E was to become an express in Manhattan, it MUST switch at Canal Street from local to express. The C does the opposite, worsening the current bottleneck there. And for express service, it is going to skip 3 stops. Not really a big deal.

Now regarding the R line, it is made to be a yeoman line. It sucks but it is the truth. Express service will be handed to the Sea Beach line since there is a greater market there. Compare the patronage of the R between 59th Street and 95th Street and the patronage of the N from 59th Street and Coney Island. The N would be given express over the R. Now at Dekalb, the N goes over the bridge because it is a shortcut and that it is meant to be an express (for reasons stated). The R is sent over Montague Street as a result. What would run through the Montague if the R is on the bridge?

The bridge tracks connect directly to the express tracks in Broadway. Montague Street tunnel tracks connect straight to the local tracks. The local tracks connect straight to the 60th Street tunnel tracks (notice how the N becomes a local north of 34th Street). Now there is a shortcut via the 63rd Street tunnel, but that is reserved for the SAS. Plus, trains must cross over to use the F tracks. That tracks connects with the express tracks, which means that the R, if was to use that track, must switch to the express tracks. That will affect the number of trains running on the F, N, Q and W. The current set-up ensures that the maximum amount of trains could be run. Messing around with the lines can lead to drastic repercussions around the system.

Just enough for me. :cool: but it's also possible to get more. Just take your train to Astoria instead of going to Continental, I'm sure you'll be able to get a looootttt of sunshine from doing that. :cool:;)

Oh you're quite right. I've yet to see an underground unemployment office.B)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

The only hope of switching the lines back was if they went ahead with the plan to open a part of Sunnyside Yard to the subway. That could then become the Astoria line yard (the connection would be from the 63rd St line, and trains would drop out at 57th).

But it seems that idea was dropped. It would also have been good for both the Second Av. Line, as well as midday laypu space for all the lines.

Just what are they going to do with all that extra space I see, where the construction is taking place, once it is finished?

Also, you would no longer need the (W), as the line would be covered completely by the (R).

Another idea I thought of in conjunction with the new yard would be to just extend the (W) to 95th with the (R), since the ®'s often need the "help" when they get delayed coming from Queens, anyway.

I would like to see the (R) go back to Astoria and the (N) to 71 Ave. At the time of the switch in 1987, the idea of the (R) going to 71 Ave. was to bring 24 hour service from Queens Blvd to Broadway and 4 Ave. Soon later, the (R) stop running 24/7. Also, why not bring back the (;) to the West End, and the (D) to Brighton. This will allow the (B) to run daily in Manhattan, especially when the (C) is not running, so the (A) can continue to run express from 59 St. to 125 St.

I would like to see the (R) go back to Astoria and the (N) to 71 Ave. At the time of the switch in 1987, the idea of the (R) going to 71 Ave. was to bring 24 hour service from Queens Blvd to Broadway and 4 Ave. Soon later, the (R) stop running 24/7. Also, why not bring back the (B) to the West End, and the (D) to Brighton. This will allow the (:P to run daily in Manhattan, especially when the (C) is not running, so the (A) can continue to run express from 59 St. to 125 St.

Now that would be nice, but that's not going to happen @ all!

This is a Forest Hills-71st Avenue bound (N) local train TheNextStopIs Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue;):cool:;):tup:

Archived