Extending the (R) to Jamaica-179th St

blkfire765

oh boy more.. Anyways I dont think so cuz then it would make the (R) Much longer. It use to go to 179th of course during and before the 80s when the Archer Tunnels were first opene. The (E) would swap down through that line instead of Hillside. And then the (R) Extends from Continental Ave to 179th. Till the late 80s/early 90s which sent iot bk to 179th.

Now a days via weekend general orders the (R) is heading to 179th sometimes. Dunno why tho.. Maybe sumin on Jamaica yd...

this has been discussed before..

anyway, 179th street is a bad terminal. It has enough trouble with the (F) alone, adding the (R) wouldn't help. I think if it could be a more efficient terminal then the (F) could run express along hillside while the (R) runs local and both terminate at 179.

this has been discussed before..

anyway, 179th street is a bad terminal. It has enough trouble with the (F) alone, adding the (R) wouldn't help. I think if it could be a more efficient terminal then the (F) could run express along hillside while the (R) runs local and both terminate at 179.

I beg to differ...179th Street is a pretty good terminal. It has the ability to hold and turn a few dozen trains an hour, but doesn't. And on occasion the (R) does go to 179th Street, why, I don't know. Unless they made the (F) operate express to 179th Street and the (R) local, then maybe that's a possibility.

I beg to differ...179th Street is a pretty good terminal. It has the ability to hold and turn a few dozen trains an hour, but doesn't. And on occasion the (R) does go to 179th Street, why, I don't know. Unless they made the (F) operate express to 179th Street and the (R) local, then maybe that's a possibility.

Maybe I'm confusing the (E)'s terminal (Jamaica Center)? But I remember a T/O saying one of those terminals are very inefficient.

Maybe I'm confusing the (E)'s terminal (Jamaica Center)? But I remember a T/O saying one of those terminals are very inefficient.

I think you are. Jamaica-179 is a good terminal. Jamaica Center is crap.

The (E) terminal is a bad one because the diamond is too far from the station. Trains have to travel no faster then MPH thru the switch until the whole train has passed. I don't know the exact distance, but it is very far.

should the (R) be extended to 179th for LCL service in the Hillside branch of the Queens Blvd line and run the (F) EXP there?

On why the (R) has not terimanted since Fall 1992 to/from 179th Street.

1)According to the TA lack of subway cars avaiable.

2)The main reason political reasons. Riders at Hillside local stops between 71st Avenue and 179th Street 'demanding' 24/7 EXPRESS service. When the Archer Ave stations opened the ®did run to 179th Street weekdays 6am-Midnight while the (F) ran express. Then in 1991 the (R) only was extended to 179th via local rush hours.

The (R) always on regular basis being late got riders especially at the Suthpin-Hillside and Briarwood-Van Wyck stops angry.

So through political pressure that why the (R) other than "GO"'s terminal is Forest Hills.

Until a local has realible service ie (V)(R) or (G) this pattern of Hillside/Archer subway service will remain.

I think you are. Jamaica-179 is a good terminal. Jamaica Center is crap.

The (E) terminal is a bad one because the diamond is too far from the station. Trains have to travel no faster then MPH thru the switch until the whole train has passed. I don't know the exact distance, but it is very far.

Thanks guys. I have to say, that was really bad planning on their part (for whoever designed Jamaica Center terminal that way).

On why the (R) has not terimanted since Fall 1992 to/from 179th Street.

1)According to the TA lack of subway cars avaiable.

2)The main reason political reasons. Riders at Hillside local stops between 71st Avenue and 179th Street 'demanding' 24/7 EXPRESS service. When the Archer Ave stations opened the ®did run to 179th Street weekdays 6am-Midnight while the (F) ran express. Then in 1991 the (R) only was extended to 179th via local rush hours.

The (R) always on regular basis being late got riders especially at the Suthpin-Hillside and Briarwood-Van Wyck stops angry.

So through political pressure that why the (R) other than "GO"'s terminal is Forest Hills.

Until a local has realible service ie (V)(R) or (G) this pattern of Hillside/Archer subway service will remain.

So why on most weekend G/Os the (R) extends to 179th?

So why on most weekend G/Os the (R) extends to 179th?

You have to remember that G.O.s are always special cases. When the (R) is extended to 179th, it's because the (E) and (F) are running local to 71st/Continental. They don't want to turn ®s in front of any (E)s or (F)s, so instead, they turn them at 179th St. And also, notice that even though the (R) is going to 179th St, the (F) isn't running express.

Also, come to think of it, only on those weekends when the (R) is extended should the (G) be cut back to Court Square, because then there truly isn't a place to turn them.

You have to remember that G.O.s are always special cases. When the (R) is extended to 179th, it's because the (E) and (F) are running local to 71st/Continental. They don't want to turn ®s in front of any (E)s or (F)s, so instead, they turn them at 179th St. And also, notice that even though the (R) is going to 179th St, the (F) isn't running express.

Also, come to think of it, only on those weekends when the (R) is extended should the (G) be cut back to Court Square, because then there truly isn't a place to turn them.

Even tho 179th st is gd. Could the (R) also head down archer?

Probably not, because Parsons/Archer is such an inefficient terminal IMO, that it probably couldn't turn both the (E) and (R) trains because combined, it would be about 15 TPH, when during rush hour, it only turns 12 (E) TPH I think, with the other 3 (E) trains coming from 179th St.

Probably not, because Parsons/Archer is such an inefficient terminal IMO, that it probably couldn't turn both the (E) and (R) trains because combined, it would be about 15 TPH, when during rush hour, it only turns 12 (E) TPH I think, with the other 3 (E) trains coming from 179th St.

I guess your right. Plus at 179th the (F) and (R) can swap. Ive seen it before..

Thanks guys. I have to say, that was really bad planning on their part (for whoever designed Jamaica Center terminal that way).

It wasn't bad planning. Jamaica Center was like Flatbush Ave. in that neither of them were meant to be terminals. This is why the tail tracks at Jamaica Center are said to extend all the way to Merrick Blvd. The line was supposed to continue down Merrick, but the (MTA) ran out of money so the (E) stayed put at Jamaica Center.

No, because JC can only handle 12TPH - that's how bad it is. Since the (E) runs 15 TPH the other 3 trains come out of 179, which is one of the best terminals in the system (or at least would be if the switch configuration was changed a little).

It wasn't bad planning. Jamaica Center was like Flatbush Ave. in that neither of them were meant to be terminals. This is why the tail tracks at Jamaica Center are said to extend all the way to Merrick Blvd. The line was supposed to continue down Merrick, but the (MTA) ran out of money so the (E) stayed put at Jamaica Center.

No, because JC can only handle 12TPH - that's how bad it is. Since the (E) runs 15 TPH the other 3 trains come out of 179, which is one of the best terminals in the system (or at least would be if the switch configuration was changed a little).

Whats TPH? I know Per hr, dunno the T or wat it is..(Unless u mean the train speed that i kno)

Guest Charles
Whats TPH? I know Per hr, dunno the T or wat it is..(Unless u mean the train speed that i kno)

Trains Per Hour

Yeah, Jamaica Center wasn't supposed to be a terminal. The diamond crossover is too far from the station to begin with. I heard the line was supposed to go further than Jamaica Center but didn't. Anyone know what's the story behind the Archer Avenue Lines?

Yeah, Jamaica Center wasn't supposed to be a terminal. The diamond crossover is too far from the station to begin with. I heard the line was supposed to go further than Jamaica Center but didn't. Anyone know what's the story behind the Archer Avenue Lines?

I think the (E) was supposed to continue down Merrick to a certain point (maye Brookville Blvd. or the city line) but the (MTA) ran out of mney to do so.

I think the (E) was supposed to continue down Merrick to a certain point (maye Brookville Blvd. or the city line) but the (MTA) ran out of mney to do so.

20 years later...the MTA had money, or so we thought.

would it be good to extend the (E) in the future if there's money or will it hurt the line? i think it's good if they add an amazing terminal for the (E). Maybe 3 or 4 tracks?

I really doubt that the MTA is going to expand the (E) past Archer Avenue because there is not enough demand for it. If people wanted it, then the MTA would proudly give it to them, butt hey couldn't back in the 1980s because they ran out of funds for the project. People don't really complain about the line as of now so there's no need to expand it at present.

Archived