(2) Bronx Super EXP & A few other G.O. Inquiries

R62A 1991

Interesting stuff going on in the IRT minus Livonia reconstruction:

(2) Flatbush Av-bound trains skip 238, 233, 225, 219 Sts, Burke, Allerton Avs, Pelham Pkwy and Bronx Pk East

Weekday, 10:30 AM to 3 PM Tue and Fri, Jul 7 - Aug 28

Trains stop at Gun Hill Rd.

For service from these stations, take the to Gun Hill Rd or 241 St and transfer to a Flatbush Av-bound (2).

For service to these stations, take the to E 180 St or Gun Hill Rd and transfer to a 241 St-bound (2).

Combine this with...

(2)/(5) Flatbush Av-bound trains run express from E 180 St to 149 St-3 Av

For service to E Tremont Av, 174, Freeman, Simpson Sts, Intervale, Prospect, and Jackson Avs, take the or to 149 St-Grand Concourse and transfer to a 241 St-bound (2) or Dyre Av-bound (5).

For service from these stations take the or to E 180 St and transfer to a Flatbush Av-bound (2)/(5).

And you have a (2) Bronx Super Express. Only makes stops at 241st, Gun Hill, East 180th & 3rd Av-149th. I'm just assuming some necessary track work is the reasoning. That's not my question:

(6) Some Pelham Bay Pk-bound trains run express from Hunts Pt Av to Parkchester

Weekday, 9 AM to 10:30 AM Mon to Fri, Jul 6 until further notice

For service to Whitlock, Elder, Soundview and St Lawrence Avs,

transfer at Hunts Point Av to the next (6) local train.

The above is my question. What possible reason could they have for halving the <6> in the peak direction and putting the other half as a <6> in the reverse peak direction? These trains aren't terminating at Parkchester, so they're not going express for easy access to Westchester Yard. I wonder why...

(1) The last stop for some 242 St-bound trains is 137 St

AM Rush Hour, 8 AM to 9 AM Mon to Fri, until further notice.

Transfer at 137 St to continue your trip.

Now this one makes more sense. I noticed a year ago that they didn't use the 137th St yard to store trains during the midday. I'm assuming that's why they're doing this now, or they're short-turning trains for more peak service down to South Ferry.

And I forgot one. My home line made some incredible strides last night:

(1) No trains between 96 St and South Ferry - Take the (3) instead

(2)/(3) trains skip 86 and 72 Sts in both directions

Late night, 1:30 AM to 4:00 AM Thursday, Jul 2

(3) trains run local between 72 St and South Ferry.

Free shuttle buses replaces trains at 86 and 72 Sts.

The (1) replaced the (3) after 9-11, now the (3) replaced the (1). Beautiful.

But, anyway, those are some interesting G.O.s. I'm probably going to check out the (2) Bronx Super Express when I get back, but why the reverse peak <6> service?

Interesting stuff going on in the IRT minus Livonia reconstruction:

(2) Flatbush Av-bound trains skip 238, 233, 225, 219 Sts, Burke, Allerton Avs, Pelham Pkwy and Bronx Pk East

Trains stop at Gun Hill Rd.

For service from these stations, take the to Gun Hill Rd or 241 St and transfer to a Flatbush Av-bound (2).

For service to these stations, take the to E 180 St or Gun Hill Rd and transfer to a 241 St-bound (2).

Combine this with...

(2)/(5) Flatbush Av-bound trains run express from E 180 St to 149 St-3 Av

For service to E Tremont Av, 174, Freeman, Simpson Sts, Intervale, Prospect, and Jackson Avs, take the or to 149 St-Grand Concourse and transfer to a 241 St-bound (2) or Dyre Av-bound (5).

For service from these stations take the or to E 180 St and transfer to a Flatbush Av-bound (2)/(5).

And you have a (2) Bronx Super Express. Only makes stops at 241st, Gun Hill, East 180th & 3rd Av-149th. I'm just assuming some necessary track work is the reasoning. That's not my question:

(6) Some Pelham Bay Pk-bound trains run express from Hunts Pt Av to Parkchester

Weekday, 9 AM to 10:30 AM Mon to Fri, Jul 6 until further notice

For service to Whitlock, Elder, Soundview and St Lawrence Avs,

transfer at Hunts Point Av to the next (6) local train.

The above is my question. What possible reason could they have for halving the <6> in the peak direction and putting the other half as a <6> in the reverse peak direction? These trains aren't terminating at Parkchester, so they're not going express for easy access to Westchester Yard. I wonder why...

(1) The last stop for some 242 St-bound trains is 137 St

AM Rush Hour, 8 AM to 9 AM Mon to Fri, until further notice.

Transfer at 137 St to continue your trip.

Now this one makes more sense. I noticed a year ago that they didn't use the 137th St yard to store trains during the midday. I'm assuming that's why they're doing this now, or they're short-turning trains for more peak service down to South Ferry.

And I forgot one. My home line made some incredible strides last night:

(1) No trains between 96 St and South Ferry - Take the (3) instead

(2)/(3) trains skip 86 and 72 Sts in both directions

Late night, 1:30 AM to 4:00 AM Thursday, Jul 2

(3) trains run local between 72 St and South Ferry.

Free shuttle buses replaces trains at 86 and 72 Sts.

The (1) replaced the (3) after 9-11, now the (3) replaced the (1). Beautiful.

But, anyway, those are some interesting G.O.s. I'm probably going to check out the (2) Bronx Super Express when I get back, but why the reverse peak <6> service?

VERY interesting G.O.'s. The fact that the (3) is going to South Ferry is, well, unusual. If only I was a night owl! But I'll check out the <2> Express for sure sometime when the G.O. takes effect.

Wow dont tell me the (2) is now going to be a White Plains Rd exp. This so confusing. For that Id have the 238th <5> Run Express from Gun Hill Rd to 149th stopping at 180th St.

And for midday the (5) would be exp from 180th to 149th st. These GMs better know wat they doin. But seeing that its all express. I wonder wats up on the WPR Line (Fromm Morris Pk-180th and the hub-149th)

As for the (6) I dunno. I did notice how ever that some of the stations between Hunts point and 138th seems to be getting a small improvement in rehab. I notice new platform edge bumps on the pelham tunnels. Dunno if the EL is getting something similar..

For the (3) to SF, im so there. Even for Rector St ^_^bZ

Archived