R68 (E) train?

blkfire765

should the (E) train run R68's? would they be compatible or effecient there? sorry for asking such questions...

Well, the (E) could conceivably run R68s since they are 75 footers and the (E) has run R46s in the past, but as 7Line said, because they're not based out of Jamaica Yard, but instead Concourse and Coney Island, they're not going to run any on the (E) anytime soon. As far as I know, Jamaica is not getting R68s.

There is almost no chance of the E operating R68s:

Reasons include:

1. They are exclusively based off at Coney Island and Concourse. If the R68s go to Jamaica, what will the B and D run with?

2. There are not enough doors to cope with rush hour service. That line needs more doors per train. Having fewer doors can cause longer dwell times. This was seen when the E ran R46s during the 80s up until the 90s. That's why the E was left with R32s until recently.

3. The E will be fully R160, why would it exchange newer cars for older cars?

Reasons include:

1. They are exclusively based off at Coney Island and Concourse. If the R68s go to Jamaica, what will the B and D run with?

2. There are not enough doors to cope with rush hour service. That line needs more doors per train. Having fewer doors can cause longer dwell times. This was seen when the E ran R46s during the 80s up until the 90s. That's why the E was left with R32s until recently.

Reason 2 leads me to thinking....Why doesn't MTA test a new car type with an additional set of doors (fifth) per side? This should speed things up even better, or allow continued use of a 75 foot car with its advantages.

Reason 2 leads me to thinking....Why doesn't MTA test a new car type with an additional set of doors (fifth) per side? This should speed things up even better, or allow continued use of a 75 foot car with its advantages.

I heard that may be what the R179 is going to look like, but I really hope that there are no more 75-footers because for some random reason those cars freak me out!

Reasons include:

point #2 is the reason i do not get why (E) riders complain about the R32s. they have no idea how lucky they were having those cars running on their line for almost 20 years while the other Queens Boulevard riders suffered with the slow and low MDBF R46s.

ok! that's one way of transporting them to the jamaica yard! so hopefully it happens before retirement of the R68 fleet...

the only way jamaica will get R68/68As is if my prediction of where the R179s will debut come true, but i will not talk about that because i know it will just cause another flame war.

R68's on Queens Blvd just wouldn't look right to me, and what the people above said.

However, if the (F) were based out CIY I could imagine it running R68/A's thus you would have R68's on the Queens Blvd exp.

Late 80's I will never forget seeing (A) R68 as A (F) roll into East broadway station it was in service it was Coney island bound and till this day I never forgot that shock . (K)<R>

Reasons include:

The (E) is not fully R160 yet, The 1st bacth of Option Order II R160B's are going to CI while the 9103-9162 would be at Jamaica, 9803-9807 is at CI right Now undergoing testing, But if CI gets all the Option Order II A-2/B R160 order, Jamaica would Get the R68's, Pitkin/207th does not want R68's, that's why the R46's are there now, It was Planned for the (A) to have R68's but Pitkin does not want them at all, But The Alstom R160A-2/B's are going to Jamaica so there is no need to worry about R68's going to Jamaica unless the TA changes their minds, I would Love to see an R68A (E) train, I saw an R68A (A) train back in 1997.

The (E) is not fully R160 yet, The 1st bacth of Option Order II R160B's are going to CI while the 9103-9162 would be at Jamaica, 9803-9807 is at CI right Now undergoing testing, But if CI gets all the Option Order II A-2/B R160 order, Jamaica would Get the R68's, Pitkin/207th does not want R68's, that's why the R46's are there now, It was Planned for the (A) to have R68's but Pitkin does not want them at all, But The Alstom R160A-2/B's are going to Jamaica so there is no need to worry about R68's going to Jamaica unless the TA changes their minds, I would Love to see an R68A (E) train, I saw an R68A (A) train back in 1997.

9103-9162 is only R160Bs. After that IINM Jamaica would get the rest of the option II order.

It was Planned for the (A) to have R68's but Pitkin does not want them at all, But The Alstom R160A-2/B's are going to Jamaica so there is no need to worry about R68's going to Jamaica unless the TA changes their minds, I would Love to see an R68A (E) train, I saw an R68A (A) train back in 1997.
I didn't mind for the A to have the R68As before, but seeing that they would only get it after the R46s retire is a definite no. The A riders once again gets the oldest fleet from that standpoint. I was always used to seeing the R68/As on 6th Avenue as well as Broadway, and would hope that they will stay there until their last days.

i knew jamaica would not be getting the rest of the R160s. it just does not make sense considering how much Queens Boulevard riders love the R46s. if what R32 3838 said is true, that means the (Q) will be fully R160s with the (N)(W) as originally planned (those rumors about Brighton customers complaining about those cars are false, though they still prefer the R68/68As since they have always ran there since their debut in 1985, because R68/68As do not provide more seats than R160s), but i do not think the (E) would get R68/68As since it is also going to be fully R160s. if they do get transferred to Jamaica, they will probably go on the (F)(R) since they travel to southern brooklyn. where is your proof that Pitkin/207th Street does not want R68/68As? i think they would look great on the (A)(C) and i am sure riders there would love them considering how much they like the R44s for reasons i do not know and i probably do not want to know. the (Q) was originally the first of two lines with the (N) to get the R160s, but idk why their debut was delayed on the Brighton Local for almost two years (in fact, the (W) was never meant to get the R160s in the first place). this does not mean you Brighton R68/68A lovers should freak out. those chubby chicks will remain on the (B) since there are no plans to put the R160s there. there will probably not be a lot of R160s going to Coney Island, just enough to fill up the rest of the (Q) line. because of this and the recent car assignment changes on the (E)(F)(R)(V), i do not believe the (R) will get any R160s.

i also remembering seeing an R68 running on the (F). it was way back in 1991 or 1992. my family was driving under the Culver Line and the train was running right above us. it was literally a race like in the French Connection and i spent the entire time staring at that train, though at that time, it had no significance to me

Actually, CI is giving up the Option I Alstom R160Bs to Jamaica while it get the new Option II Siemens R160Bs as well some R160As. From that standpoint, the Q will not become 100% R160A/B, and the W will still run some R68As. It's more of a tradeoff.

i knew jamaica would not be getting the rest of the R160s. it just does not make sense considering how much Queens Boulevard riders love the R46s. if what R32 3838 said is true, that means the (Q) will be fully R160s with the (N)(W) as originally planned (those rumors about Brighton customers complaining about those cars are false, though they still prefer the R68/68As since they have always ran there since their debut in 1985), but i do not think the (E) would get R68/68As since it is also going to be fully R160s. if they do get transferred to Jamaica, they will probably go on the (F)(R) since they travel to southern brooklyn. where is your proof that Pitkin/207th Street does not want R68/68As? i think they would look great on the (A)(C) and i am sure riders there would love them considering how much they like the R44s for reasons i do not know and i probably do not want to know. the (Q) was originally the first of two lines with the (N) to get the R160s, but idk why their debut was delayed on the Brighton Local for almost two years (in fact, the (W) was never meant to get the R160s). this does not mean you Brighton R68/68A lovers should freak out. those chubby chicks will remain on the (B) since there are no plans to put the R160s there. there will probably not be a lot of R160s going to Coney Island, just enough to fill up the rest of the (Q) line. because of this and the recent car assignment changes on the (E)(F)(R)(V), i do not believe the (R) will get any R160s.

i also remembering seeing an R68 running on the (F). it was way back in 1991 or 1992. my family was driving under the Culver Line and the train was running right above us. it was literally a race like in the French Connection and i spent the entire time staring at that train, though at that time, it had no significance to me

1. Queens Blvd. riders do not 'love' the R46s. They just like them over the R32s and R42s.

2. Jamaica is not getting R68/As. They are getting R160s. CI is only getting 70 R160Bs to displace 60 R160Bs to Jamaica Yard (which makes sense because I think the new arrivals are now Siemens cars which run with the existing Siemens at CI, while they send out Alstoms to run with the R160As at Jamaica.

3. The (W) was meant to get the R160s, but after the (Q).

4. The (R) will get some R160s if the line GM allows it.

I'm so glad this is happening! CIY is giving its Alstoms for more Siemens sets! This means more Siemens sets on the (N)(Q)(W) where they belong! :cool:

Does it matter? It's still 1.) A R160 2.) a train 3.) gets you from point A to point B. I've never understood the craziness people get over the manufacturer.

Does it matter? It's still 1.) A R160 2.) a train 3.) gets you from point A to point B. I've never understood the craziness people get over the manufacturer.

I'm not getting "crazy", and it's not even about the manufacturer, its about the propulsion sound. And yes, that does matter to me, as a rail fan. I prefer the sound of Siemens sets over Alstoms (simply because they sound amazing). I have no problem with Alstom sets, I just prefer Siemens. Is it wrong for me to be happy that this is happening? Is it irrational of me to have a preference? jeez. :P

I'm not getting "crazy", and it's not even about the manufacturer, its about the propulsion sound. And yes, that does matter to me, as a rail fan. I prefer the sound of Siemens sets over Alstoms (simply because they sound amazing). I have no problem with Alstom sets, I just prefer Siemens. Is it wrong for me to be happy that this is happening? Is it irrational of me to have a preference? jeez. :P

Is there a thread explaining to a newbie the differences between the various 160's other than the builder? Are there any spotting differences, or do you need to see the builders plate or know by the road number?

Archived