R68 (E) train?

blkfire765

Is there a thread explaining to a newbie the differences between the various 160's other than the builder? Are there any spotting differences, or do you need to see the builders plate or know by the road number?

R160A's make a whirring sound when closing doors, R160B's are silent. Thats all that I really think of besides the number plates. But to me, its not about R160A vs. R160B, its about Alstom propulsion vs. Siemens propulsion. All R160A's and half of the R160B's make this propulsion sound (Alstom propulsion) and half of R160B's make this propulsion sound (siemens). I think (as most others do) that the Siemens sets sound better.

r68 trains are, in my opinion, great! and i would love to see them on any of the Queens Blvd line!... :]

Strange story about that, actually... One time, I was at Roosevelt Avenue, and I saw an R68 signed up for the (Q) on the local track. Naturally, I took it, and we went express on the local track. It went OOS at Continental, which was as far as I needed to go anyway.

Strange though, that a (Q) found its way onto Queens Blvd.

This topic is kinda pointless atm, more like we talking about the (T) or the R179/188. With the arrival of the R160s for Jamaica and Stillwell, what makes you think the R68s off Concourse (D) and from the Stillwell (:P(Q)(S) (Sometimes (N)(W)) will be taken off them? They aint going no where. Maybe the (Q)s R68s seeing that they gonna be R160 fully in future. I dunno about the (G) getting these when Church extention occurs

Strange story about that, actually... One time, I was at Roosevelt Avenue, and I saw an R68 signed up for the (Q) on the local track. Naturally, I took it, and we went express on the local track. It went OOS at Continental, which was as far as I needed to go anyway.

Strange though, that a (Q) found its way onto Queens Blvd.

probably because of the 9/11 emergency plan.

ive taken R68/R68A's on the (Q) running on the (R) line to and from Forest Hills-71 Av/Continental Av.

ive also taken the (N) with R68A's on the QBL. its a nice change for a bit, but still, keep the R68/R68A's where i can see them, lol.

This topic is kinda pointless atm, more like we talking about the (T) or the R179/188. With the arrival of the R160s for Jamaica and Stillwell, what makes you think the R68s off Concourse (D) and from the Stillwell (:P(Q)(S) (Sometimes (N)(W)) will be taken off them? They aint going no where. Maybe the (Q)s R68s seeing that they gonna be R160 fully in future. I dunno about the (G) getting these when Church extention occurs

Most likely R46's. thats what im guessing.

isn't weird when you see a different subway car model on a line where it shouldn't be? but still... i really like the feeling. like one time i took a R46 (E)train to school one morning. window seats were occupied but i liked the weird sensation of taking a R46 (E) to school that morning! i'll never forget it!B) ... seeing it at the 50th st station was cool! that day i regreted not being in the photography academy at my school. i really needed a camera!!!:P

R68s are concidered the "Dumb Blondes" of the fleet. They are nice to look at but the engineeres at (MTA) have had a feild day trying to get those cars at optimum. they are still, even after stripping some parts and locking them into 4 car sets, the heaviest in the fleet and with the slowest acceleration. and the westinghouse cars still have system intergration problems. Probably why Pitkin never wanted them

R68s are concidered the "Dumb Blondes" of the fleet. They are nice to look at but the engineeres at (MTA) have had a feild day trying to get those cars at optimum. they are still, even after stripping some parts and locking them into 4 car sets, the heaviest in the fleet and with the slowest acceleration. and the westinghouse cars still have system intergration problems. Probably why Pitkin never wanted them
Actually, I believe the R160 is the heaviest car in the fleet.

R160A's make a whirring sound when closing doors, R160B's are silent. Thats all that I really think of besides the number plates. But to me, its not about R160A vs. R160B, its about Alstom propulsion vs. Siemens propulsion. All R160A's and half of the R160B's make this propulsion sound (Alstom propulsion) and half of R160B's make this propulsion sound (siemens). I think (as most others do) that the Siemens sets sound better.

Not me. I LOVE the Alstom (Somewhere) 3-note propulsion. The Sieman's is noisier and far less interesting, IMO.

I'm not getting "crazy", and it's not even about the manufacturer, its about the propulsion sound. And yes, that does matter to me, as a rail fan. I prefer the sound of Siemens sets over Alstoms (simply because they sound amazing). I have no problem with Alstom sets, I just prefer Siemens. Is it wrong for me to be happy that this is happening? Is it irrational of me to have a preference? jeez. ;)

am i the only railfan that does not give a damn about the R160Bs' propulsion? i do not see any difference an R160B Siemens and an R160B Alstom. you railfans are taking them too far. i only like the R160As more because of the whirling sound the doors make when they open and close.

why wouldn't they? They are trained for it.

how do you know?

probably because of the 9/11 emergency plan.

ive taken R68/R68A's on the (Q) running on the (R) line to and from Forest Hills-71 Av/Continental Av.

ive also taken the (N) with R68A's on the QBL. its a nice change for a bit, but still, keep the R68/R68A's where i can see them, lol.

relax, even if the (Q) becomes fully R160s, they are not sending all Coney Island R68/68As away because the (B)(D) will continue to use those cars for years to come.

Actually, I believe the R160 is the heaviest car in the fleet.

R160s are the heaviest of the 60 footers.

other than their crappy acceleration, R68/68As are great cars and i do not find anything else wrong with them in the 20 years i lived on the brighton line. they have the highest MDBF in the system and are very reliable cars. idk why anyone would hate them. i would love to see the (A)(C) use those cars.

R160s are the heaviest of the 60 footers.

other than their crappy acceleration, R68/68As are great cars and i do not find anything else wrong with them in the 20 years i lived on the brighton line. they have the highest MDBF in the system and are very reliable cars. idk why anyone would hate them. i would love to see the (A)(C) use those cars.

Presently, the R160Bs are the heaviest. But comparing with the retired fleets, The Westinghouse R16s were even heavier at 86,270 lbs.

The R68/As are excellent, but they are much better off staying on the lines that they started service on; B, D, and Q. Even if they end up on the A and C, it would be after the R46s retire. This means that the A and C once again ends up with the oldest fleets in the system. Seriously not a good sign.

Is there a thread explaining to a newbie the differences between the various 160's other than the builder? Are there any spotting differences, or do you need to see the builders plate or know by the road number?

There's no thread, but it is pointless trying to distinguish them other than by car number because the differences were so trivial. While the order is a joint-venture between two companies the cars were meant to be the same and interoperable. The only difference people notice is the slight whirring sound of the R160A as opposed to the R160B because of a different door motor, but I doubt you would really want to go out listening for such a slight difference. Some R160Bs have Siemens propulsion (another poster linked to both propulsion sounds), but both R160As and R160Bs can have Alstom propulsion as well. Here is the difference by car number:

R160A - 8313-8712, 9233-9802, 9943-9974

R160B - 8713-9232, 9803-9942

nope

R160-82,200 lbs

R68 -92,720 lbs

This is true but a train of R160s would be heavier than a train of hippos. 82.2K X 100 = 822K pounds, but ~90K X 8 = 720K pounds.

Not me. I LOVE the Alstom (Somewhere) 3-note propulsion. The Sieman's is noisier and far less interesting, IMO.

Siemens is more interesting IMO, and I liked Siemens more when I used to ride the (N)(W) home. But now that I take the (E) I like Alstom better because I'm more used to it.

am i the only railfan that does not give a damn about the R160Bs' propulsion? i do not see any difference an R160B Siemens and an R160B Alstom. you railfans are taking them too far.
For possibly the first time ever I agree with you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Far Rock Depot

nope

R160-82,200 lbs

R68 -92,720 lbs

This is true but a train of R160s would be heavier than a train of hippos. 82.2K X 100 = 822K pounds, but ~90K X 8 = 720K pounds.

not necessarily. remember that the B cars of a R160 weigh less than its A car. And although the R68s became 4 car units with components stripped in the 2 middle cars of each unit, it would still be a similar weight.

am i the only railfan that does not give a damn about the R160Bs' propulsion? i do not see any difference an R160B Siemens and an R160B Alstom. you railfans are taking them too far. i only like the R160As more because of the whirling sound the doors make when they open and close.

Thank you. A train is a train. NO need to go crazy over the fact that it might sound different. We all have our personal preferences.

how do you know?

Train operators and conductors are trained to operate any line throughout whichever division they work for. So if they work for the (A), they can be sent out to work for any of the other lines which means that they need to know how to operate the equipment.

nope

R160-82,200 lbs

R68 -92,720 lbs

Sure, one R160 is lighter than one R68, but a full 600' train of R160's is heavier than a full 600' train of R68's.

R160: 82,200 x 10 = 822,000 (R160's are 60', 60 X 10 =600)

R68: 92,720 x 8 = 741,760 (r68's are 75', 75 x 8 = 600)

R160's have more weight per area than R68's.

Thank you. A train is a train. NO need to go crazy over the fact that it might sound different. We all have our personal preferences.

Excuse me, but when was I getting crazy over anything? I'm getting viewed as a foamer or whatever because I like Siemens propulsion better. It's really annoying me.

Sure, one R160 is lighter than one R68, but a full 600' train of R160's is heavier than a full 600' train of R68's.

R160: 82,200 x 10 = 822,000 (R160's are 60', 60 X 10 =600)

R68: 92,720 x 8 = 741,760 (r68's are 75', 75 x 8 = 600)

R160's have more weight per area than R68's.

Excuse me, but when was I getting crazy over anything? I'm getting viewed as a foamer or whatever because I like Siemens propulsion better. It's really annoying me.

Thank you. I am annoyed as well. This isn't a general info site on the subways. For those that say a train is a train, why exactly are you on a public rail fan enthusiast forum? Hopefully most of us welcome opinions on lines, equipment, and other subway related member preferences.

Thank you. I am annoyed as well. This isn't a general info site on the subways. For those that say a train is a train, why exactly are you on a public rail fan enthusiast forum? Hopefully most of us welcome opinions on lines, equipment, and other subway related member preferences.

Yeah really. Also, the people who say "a train is a train" have favorite trains (as indicated in the Subway Car(s): destination), which is hypocritical. Really people, so when you prefer one train over another, thats fine. But when I say I prefer Siemens propulsion over Alstom, that means I'm going crazy over it, right? But oh no, but your preferences aren't "crazy".

Listen people, stop trying to act all mature as if you have no opinions or preferences in the subway, it doesn't make you a more rational person. As long as you don't take your preferences over the line, there is nothing wrong with it.

And like BSmith said, for those that say a train is a train, why exactly are you on a public rail fan enthusiast forum? If you supposedly have no enthusiasm or care for the subway, why are you here? Obviously, you do care, you just want to look mature and rational by saying a "train is a train".

Give it a rest people.

Archived