R68 (E) train?

blkfire765

To the person who says "what's up with the attitude of A train is a train", be aware that people "expressing preferences" has been the #1 cause of stupid pointless debates about nothing here in the last 8 months or so. The main purpose of this forum as I understand it was for intelligent discussion and exchange of information, rather than misinformation:

-For instance, if the HVAC units are what "make the R160" so heavy, perhaps someone can regurgitate to me how much a single new tech HVAC unit weighs (roughly)...if you know it fine, but know your facts BEFORE you post speculation or your thoughts in such a way that someone might think you are telling facts...because if you are wrong, they are going to repeat your wrong information.

-Likewise regarding the 10 x R160 in weight vs. the 8 x R68, I see none have responded to Far Rock Depot's points about A cars vs. B cars and why the R68 is still the heaviest single car since the BMT Standard

-While it's OK (but probably a little strange) to have "preferences" for subway propulsion sounds (hey I don't judge), everyone here needs to be fully aware that car equipment decisions and the "what is going where" movements of subway life that occupy so much of people's railfanning time here, are NOT based on minutia like propulsion sounds.

-Opinions are nice (be respectful of others), but facts are better.

Just my 10c...

To the person who says "what's up with the attitude of A train is a train", be aware that people "expressing preferences" has been the #1 cause of stupid pointless debates about nothing here in the last 8 months or so. The main purpose of this forum as I understand it was for intelligent discussion and exchange of information, rather than misinformation:

-For instance, if the HVAC units are what "make the R160" so heavy, perhaps someone can regurgitate to me how much a single new tech HVAC unit weighs (roughly)

-Likewise regarding the 10 x R160 in weight vs. the 8 x R68, I see none have responded to Far Rock Depot's points about A cars vs. B cars and why the R68 is still the heaviest single car since the BMT Standard

-While it's OK (but probably a little strange) to have "preferences" for subway propulsion sounds (hey I don't judge), everyone here needs to be fully aware that car equipment decisions and the "what is going where" movements of subway life that occupy so much of people's railfanning time here, are NOT based on minutia like propulsion sounds.

-Opinions are nice (be respectful of others), but facts are better.

Just my 10c...

1) I acknowledged that the one R68 is heavier than one R160. However, the R68 is 75 feet, and the R160 is 60 feet. That means the R160 has more weight per area. Lets do some math. 85,200 lbs. (one R160) over 60 feet. That means every foot of R160 it weighs 1,420 lbs (1420 lbs per foot). 92,720 (one R68A) over 75 feet. That means every foot of R68 weighs 1,230 lbs (1,230 lbs per foot). That means the R160 is denser, or more weight per area. That also means if the R160 were 75 feet, they would weigh more than the R68A. Far Rock Depot is not taking into account that the R68 is longer, so it should weigh more to begin with

2) I do not see any information of the R160 datasheet that indicates the difference of weight in the A car or B car. Therefore we can assume its an average, thus apply that weight for every car

3) All I did, was show my content that CIY was getting more Siemens sets in exchange for Alstom sets, because I prefer Siemens. I was pretty rational about it. I wasn't like "omggg yess i h88 @l$toMM & <3 $i3m3ns$ cuz @L$t0m $$uxxx. @Ll @l$t0mz $hud g0 g3t skrapp3dd". And yet I get responses as if I was going crazy over it when I wasn't. I get attacked, and get portrayed as being a foamer or whatever, and for what? Because I prefer Alstom propulsion? Is it wrong that I prefer Siemens propulsion? Is it wrong that I reacted to the intel with happiness because I like what I am hearing? It didn't cause any disruption whatsoever.

I'm so glad this is happening! CIY is giving its Alstoms for more Siemens sets! This means more Siemens sets on the (N)(Q)(W) where they belong! :cool:

Does it matter? It's still 1.) A R160 2.) a train 3.) gets you from point A to point B. I've never understood the craziness people get over the manufacturer.

A train is a train. NO need to go crazy over the fact that it might sound different. We all have our personal preferences.

1) I acknowledged that the one R68 is heavier than one R160. However, the R68 is 75 feet, and the R160 is 60 feet. That means the R160 has more weight per area. Lets do some math. 85,200 lbs. (one R160) over 60 feet. That means every foot of R160 it weighs 1,420 lbs (1420 lbs per foot). 92,720 (one R68A) over 75 feet. That means every foot of R68 weighs 1,230 lbs (1,230 lbs per foot). That means the R160 is denser, or more weight per area. That also means if the R160 were 75 feet, they would weigh more than the R68A. Far Rock Depot is not taking into account that the R68 is longer, so it should weigh more to begin with

2) I do not see any information of the R160 datasheet that indicates the difference of weight in the A car or B car. Therefore we can assume its an average, thus apply that weight for every car

You are missing the point. This was his post that I am referring to:

R68s are concidered the "Dumb Blondes" of the fleet. They are nice to look at but the engineeres at (MTA) have had a feild day trying to get those cars at optimum. they are still, even after stripping some parts and locking them into 4 car sets, the heaviest in the fleet and with the slowest acceleration. and the westinghouse cars still have system intergration problems. Probably why Pitkin never wanted them

You are doing all this extra math, when the point has to do with the weight of a single car and (really) the acceleration of the car, which is why it is an issue, because this is based on car performance, not a measure of weight. If a car weighed 20,000 pounds and had a golf cart motor it wouldn't matter that it's "the lightest car in the fleet" because it's going to be a dog on the road. Though every car in the system has an initial acceleration of 2.5mphps, the R68/A's, because of their weight and HP/weight ratios do not maintain this initial rate as long as other cars. They have the same top speed, but they take longer to get there, which means slower running speeds, which means slower service. This is what is being referred to.

3) All I did, was show my content that CIY was getting more Siemens sets in exchange for Alstom sets, because I prefer Siemens. I was pretty rational about it. I wasn't like "omggg yess i h88 @l$toMM & <3 $i3m3ns$ cuz @L$t0m $$uxxx. @Ll @l$t0mz $hud g0 g3t skrapp3dd". And yet I get responses as if I was going crazy over it when I wasn't. I get attacked, and get portrayed as being a foamer or whatever, and for what? Because I prefer Alstom propulsion? Is it wrong that I prefer Siemens propulsion? Is it wrong that I reacted to the intel with happiness because I like what I am hearing? It didn't cause any disruption whatsoever.

Where in those posts did anyone call you a foamer? You stated your opinion, they stated theirs. Julio saying that "he doesn't get the craziness people get over propulsions" is a general statement about a lot of railfans out there and may not even apply to you. Here's one I'll say: "I think a lot of railfans because of the retirement of the older, more unique equipment, tend to focus on a lot of minor differences between new tech cars and play them up as very big in an effort to sound knowledgeable" - notice, I didn't say that about YOU, I said that about a lot of railfans in general (which is probably true), but that doesn't mean it applies to YOU. That's all that was done, and there's no reason to take it personal. In fact clicking through the threads after being away for a couple days, I saw at least 2 or 3 threads that pushed the "railien fight" envelope a lot more than this one did. No need to take offense at something that doesn't even really seem directed at you, like Julio and 711's comments.

And whoever posted about the R160 HVAC weighing down that car, can you please "back it up" with facts to support this statement by posting what a single NTT HVAC weighs (the original Point 1 above)?

Well yes, the R68's are the slowest fleet because they have the highest weight per hp. When did I deny that? I don't think anyone did.

Where in those posts did anyone call you a foamer? You stated your opinion, they stated theirs. Julio saying that "he doesn't get the craziness people get over propulsions" is a general statement about a lot of railfans out there and may not even apply to you. Here's one I'll say: "I think a lot of railfans because of the retirement of the older, more unique equipment, tend to focus on a lot of minor differences between new tech cars and play them up as very big in an effort to sound knowledgeable" - notice, I didn't say that about YOU, I said that about a lot of railfans in general (which is probably true), but that doesn't mean it applies to YOU. That's all that was done, and there's no reason to take it personal. In fact clicking through the threads after being away for a couple days, I saw at least 2 or 3 threads that pushed the "railien fight" envelope a lot more than this one did. No need to take offense at something that doesn't even really seem directed at you, like Julio and 711's comments.

I said they were acting as if I was a foamer. And considering that Y2Julio said that while quoting me, sounded like it was directed at me. Also, 711 quoted flushingexpress when he said he doesn't care about propulsion or whatever, flushingexpress quoted me. So I believe these to replies were directed at me and were a general statement. Also, "getting crazy over... x" sounds like what foamers do.

Well yes, the R68's are the slowest fleet because they have the highest weight per hp. When did I deny that? I don't think anyone did.

I said they were acting as if I was a foamer. And considering that Y2Julio said that while quoting me, sounded like it was directed at me. Also, 711 quoted flushingexpress when he said he doesn't care about propulsion or whatever, flushingexpress quoted me. So I believe these to replies were directed at me and were a general statement. Also, "getting crazy over... x" sounds like what foamers do.

You are taking this place WAY too seriously if you are reading that much into posts and more than 1 level of quoting. My advice is take a breather, go hook up with some girl (or do something else relaxing) and then come back after youre done and refreshed...there are enough people out there who are more than happy to take a message board way too seriously, it's always better not to be one of them.

;)

joker.jpg

(A)hhhhhh This is why I love this place , relax guys it's a good thread we don't want it shutdown . Hey did you know that the <R>68 model Kawasaki is still out there come on guys go railfanning together o.k hey masarati bring your girl and eveybody have a nice;) day hahaaahaaaaa lol

(K)<R>

why R68 was supposed to run (A) and (C) was:

when (N) , (Q) , (W) were getting R160.

(N) , (Q) , (W) were supposed to give up

R68. so if Coney isalnd yard recieve R160B

#9803 - #9942. so will they give up R68 to and send them to (A) , (C).

207 street overhaul shop and Pitkin yard will start to

scrapped R32.

Jamaica is getting the Option order II cars as well and they have Alstom Motors, If the R160 Option order II cars would have went to CI, Jamaica would have no choice but to receive R68A's from CI, Pitkin and 207th don't want those cars in their yard, But Point Blank The R160 Option Order II Cars are Only going to Jamica and last 32 to ENY. Now Please somebody Close or Lock this Topic.

I thought Jamaica is swapping trains with CI in that there are some Siemens trains floating around the F. Therefore, all the option II R160A (except 5 sets of R160A-1) would go to Jamaica, while the option R160B all with Siemens would go to CI and bump some Alstom R160B to Jamaica.

Archived