What is the difference?

Banstaman

The L consists of both the R160 and the R143. I think the R143 exclusively runs on the L (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). What exactly is the difference? They both look the same, they have about the same specifications, though the R143 was built earlier wasn't it? How do the two compare? Oh, and I just joined the website, and I would like to say hello, my name is Banney I'm 16 years old, and just started to be interested in the NYC Transit, my main interest is still commercial aviation. Would you like to introduce yourself?

Welcome to New York City Transit Forums Banney....pls enjoy your stay on here. R-143 and R-160A-1 on the (L) may look the same but they are not. BTW I'm Curtis you can call me Curt for short if you prefer too!

R-143 are built by Kawasaki Rail Car and they have the same propulsion noise as the R-142A's. Also they was the 1st NTT's to run on the (L) exclusively. Interior wiese of the R-143's they got strip maps (of course I'm sure you knew that), the next car doors are single (square-ish type) and they got some type of animation (can't properly describe it) under the strip maps for advertisments. R-143 subway car numbers are #8101-8312

R-160A-1 (L) of course it looks like the other R-160's lol and they are built by Alstom and got the Alstom Onyx propulsion. Interior wise they got the F.I.N.D. (sure you knew that as well), the next car doors are narrower and in twos. R-160A-1 subway cars numbers are #8313-8652 I believe!

R-143

102_8688.jpg

*Note American Flag is below the (MTA) New York City Subway Logo

R-160A-1

102_8689.jpg

*Note American Flag is above the (MTA) New York City Subway Logo

Welcome to New York City Transit Forums Banney....pls enjoy your stay on here. R-143 and R-160A-1 on the (L) may look the same but they are not.

R-143 are built by Kawasaki Rail Car and they have the same propulsion noise as the R-142A's. Also they was the 1st NTT's to run on the (L) exclusively. Interior wiese of the R-143's they got strip maps (of course I'm sure you knew that), the next car doors are single (square-ish type) and they got some type of animation (can't properly describe it) under the strip maps for advertisments. R-143 subway car numbers are #8101-8312

R-160A-1 (L) of course it looks like the other R-160's lol and they are built by Alstom and got the Alstom Onyx propulsion. Interior wise they got the F.I.N.D. (sure you knew that as well), the next car doors are narrower and in twos. R-160A-1 subway cars numbers are #8313-8652 I believe!

R-143

*Note American Flag is below the (MTA) New York City Subway Logo

R-160A-1

*Note American Flag is above the (MTA) New York City Subway Logo

lets not make it that hard with him with the option orders, its the same R160s anyways A or B. With different mechanical features.

BTW Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay!

The L consists of both the R160 and the R143. I think the R143 exclusively runs on the L (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). What exactly is the difference? They both look the same, they have about the same specifications, though the R143 was built earlier wasn't it? How do the two compare? Oh, and I just joined the website, and I would like to say hello, my name is Banney I'm 16 years old, and just started to be interested in the NYC Transit, my main interest is still commercial aviation. Would you like to introduce yourself?

Hey, my name is Kris and I've been at these forums since November 07. You will enjoy your stay here, I'm sure of it. As for your question, the R143s have a technology in them known as CBTC - a type of signaling system that allows trains to run more closely together. The R160s do not have this technology but the ones that run on the (L) will very soon. Aside from that, there are only minor aesthetic differences.

R143: Flag below (MTA) logo on ends of each train set. R160: Flag above (MTA) logo on ends of each train set.

R143: Adtranz propulsion similar to the cars that run on the (6) (R142A). R160 (at least the ones on the (L)): Alstom Onix propulsion similar to the cars that run on the (5) (R142).

R143: Storm doors (car end doors) are one sliding door (this is the only "new technology train" that's like this). R160: Storm doors are two sliding doors like on all other new techs.

R143: Interior side sign has a display showing public service type announcements. R160 does not have this.

R143: Does not have a FIND. R160 does have a FIND (stands for Flexible Information and Notification Display - these are the computerized maps on the car ceilings that show the next 5 stops as well as the destination).

Those are some of the big differences you can look for when telling apart the two car types.

*propulsion is the sound the train makes when its in motion(Moving)

The signle sits from the R142/R143 are a bit different then the R160s, when you get up from an R14x the sits just hit the walled seat fast. the R160 slows it down till it hits the position.

The LEDs are a lil different too I guess because with the R143s the {L} always comes out when taking photos while with the R160s if you use a shutter speed too fast they wont fully come out like in Curtis's post above. Welcome to (MTA) Transit forums. I'm Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, my name is Kris and I've been at these forums since November 07. You will enjoy your stay here, I'm sure of it. As for your question, the R143s have a technology in them known as CBTC - a type of signaling system that allows trains to run more closely together. The R160s do not have this technology but the ones that run on the (L) will very soon. Aside from that, there are only minor aesthetic differences.

This CBTC we speak of, is the automated service is that correct? How many lines implement that service? I think the 7 is the other line I know of...

it's like the interior differences between the R 143 and R 160 are different yet the outside of the car body is practically the same,can easily fool anyone who sees them for the first time.one question about a 4 car set of R 143's,it seems a few years ago lead car number 8277 was involved in some accident,does anyone know about it and it's current status?

it's like the interior differences between the R 143 and R 160 are different yet the outside of the car body is practically the same,can easily fool anyone who sees them for the first time.one question about a 4 car set of R 143's,it seems a few years ago lead car number 8277 was involved in some accident,does anyone know about it and it's current status?

It had been sent back to the Kawasaki plant, while the rest of the quadruplet sits at 207th.

This CBTC we speak of, is the automated service is that correct? How many lines implement that service? I think the 7 is the other line I know of...

The (L) line is the only line using CBTC currently,the 7 line is the next line that

is gonna get it.

The easiest way I'll tell you what the differences of an R143 and R160s on the (L) are propulsion. The R160s on the (L) sound like the R142s on the (2) and the (5), and the R143s sound like the R142As on the (6)/<6>. Of course that may cause confusion because R160s also sound almost like R142As, so probably everyone else's suggestion might be better than mine, but hey, doesn't hurt to throw out extra advice.

So if and when it is repaired,where would NYCTA place them?.To my understanding they are only a 4 car set of R-143's out of the 212 cars ordered while the rest of the fleet are arranged in 8 cars for the L.Can they be placed on the M shuttle with R-160A's or can they be married with a 4 car set of R-160A's?.You look at it like this,minus the four R-143's that are not in service,divide 208 into 8 equals 26.26 8 car sets running on the L,26X8=208 plus the 4 R-143's that are not in service equals 212 R-143's.

The trains on the (J)(L)(M)(Z) are all 8-cars and are made of two 4-car sets coupled together to make service. These two sets can be uncoupled from each other and recoupled to other sets, and this is regularly and easily done as certain sets need to go in the yard for maintenance. This 4-car set, if recovered, will just go back to ENY Yard for (L) service.

The trains on the (J)(L)(M)(Z) are all 8-cars and are made of two 4-car sets coupled together to make service. These two sets can be uncoupled from each other and recoupled to other sets, and this is regularly and easily done as certain sets need to go in the yard for maintenance. This 4-car set, if recovered, will just go back to ENY Yard for (L) service.
Do you mean the Canarsie Yard?

Technically, but East New York has the maintenance facilities. I think Canarsie is simply storage.

Correct; Canarsie and Fresh Pond are satellite yards to ENY, similar to how 148th Street is a satellite to Livonia.

All R160s excluding the first few have thin metal plates around the windows and ends and the R143 do not. When you are passing by the R143 on the opposite side, the lighting looks greenish while when you pass an R160, the lighting looks bluish.

In regards to 8277...

That car is still back up at the Kawasaki plant, while the other three (8278, 8279, & 8280) are at 207 just sitting there. Also, I heard that 2 sets of R160A-1 (8313-8316 & 8317-8320) are going to be refitted with CBTC to run with the R143.

As for the differences between them...

The simplest way to tell them apart is to look at the flag on the front of the train. The 143 flag is BELOW the (MTA) logo and the 160 flag is ABOVE the (MTA) logo.

In regards to 8277...

That car is still back up at the Kawasaki plant, while the other three (8278, 8279, & 8280) are at 207 just sitting there. Also, I heard that 2 sets of R160A-1 (8313-8316 & 8317-8320) are going to be refitted with CBTC to run with the R143.

As for the differences between them...

The simplest way to tell them apart is to look at the flag on the front of the train. The 143 flag is BELOW the (MTA) logo and the 160 flag is ABOVE the (MTA) logo.

So what can they do with them? It'd be interesting if they retrofitted 8278 with a coupler so it can run with a 5-car R160 on the Eastern Division, although I doubt that since R143s and R160s can't run together since they have different braking systems and different couplers.

So what can they do with them? It'd be interesting if they retrofitted 8278 with a coupler so it can run with a 5-car R160 on the Eastern Division, although I doubt that since R143s and R160s can't run together since they have different braking systems and different couplers.

Actually, they were designed to run together. That is why the differences between them are so minor and the fact that they are nearly identical. I think i just said the same thing twice but who cares.

Archived