What is the difference?

Banstaman

So what can they do with them? It'd be interesting if they retrofitted 8278 with a coupler so it can run with a 5-car R160 on the Eastern Division, although I doubt that since R143s and R160s can't run together since they have different braking systems and different couplers.

where are you getting your info from?

R143's and R160's do NOT have different couplers...

R143 and R160's ARE compatible, provided only that CBTC active units are not mixed with CBTC inactive units (this also applies to R143's with other R143's). When fully equipped, they could run together.

where are you getting your info from?

R143's and R160's do NOT have different couplers...

R143 and R160's ARE compatible, provided only that CBTC active units are not mixed with CBTC inactive units (this also applies to R143's with other R143's). When fully equipped, they could run together.

Oh, I only thought that since the R160s and the R143s have different braking systems then there may be a problem when they run together. I guessed on the couplers, so sorry about that.

So maybe those R143s at 207th Street can run with a 5-car set of R160s on the Eastern Division, provided that a coupler is added on to the other blind end of that B-car R143.

So what can they do with them? It'd be interesting if they retrofitted 8278 with a coupler so it can run with a 5-car R160 on the Eastern Division, although I doubt that since R143s and R160s can't run together since they have different braking systems and different couplers.

Just for the record it is a 4 car set,not a 5 car set,and it would have to be paired with a 4 car set of R-160's ;)

Just for the record it is a 4 car set,not a 5 car set,and it would have to be paired with a 4 car set of R-160's ;)

I'm aware that R143s are 4-car consists, but with one of the cars in the consist gone AWOL (now it's an oddball), the blind-end of the train can be retrofitted with a coupler and be coupled to a 5-car R160 so it can run on the Eastern Division, since that division uses eight cars. Therefore it would be 160-160-160-160-160+143-143-143. (note: + represent couplings; - represents links.)

It'd be similar to how the R40s/R42s ran on the Eastern Division. The conductor was, I believe, five cars from the north. So it'd be linked as the five-set R160s in the north end and the oddball three-set R143s on the south.

Archived