Should the MTA bring back the K train?

LRG

if it were me, I would try to simplify the system, and use less routes, particularly redundant ones like (V)(W) and (Z), and offer more trains per hour instead, taking advantage of new technology. I liked the system on the (L) that lets you know how long between trains. To replace the (V) and (W) offer more (F), (G) and (R) trains per hour, the train transfers might be more inconvienient, but not so much if the trains came more frequently during rush hour.

The (V) is not redundant, it was created to relieve the stress put on the QBL lines. If you add more (F) service, you will affect (E) service, which will have to affect (C) service (since you will have to require more (C) trains), and thus it starts a chain reaction. As for the (W), if that was nixed, more (N) trains will have to be needed. And that affects the number of (Q) trains being run.

However for the (Z) train though, it's basically the (J) train. Skip-stop could've worked if there are no sharp curves or slow spots along the line.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Theres the (R) that can do the local queeens blvd service. people can change at Herald Square for 6 Ave. The thing I was saying was, there has to be a way to get more trains down the lines so that chainging trains isnt so time consuming

Adding trains is not as simple as it sounds. The way our system is set up is, if you add more trains on one line, you might affect the number of trains on another line.

I'm just trying to look at it from the otehr way, instead of adding more routes, can we make the ones we have work better and come more frequently, use technology to let people know how long till the next train and such. No more announcements not being heard becasue some guy is mumbling in ebonics thru a bad speaker, no more waiting in excess of 10 minutes on a weekday for important routes like (R).

I'm just trying to look at it from the otehr way, instead of adding more routes, can we make the ones we have work better and come more frequently, use technology to let people know how long till the next train and such. No more announcements not being heard becasue some guy is mumbling in ebonics thru a bad speaker, no more waiting in excess of 10 minutes on a weekday for important routes like (R).

In doing so, improving frequencies for certain lines would call for adding a number of trains. I did not say adding routes. There is a difference between adding routes and adding the number of trains running on a route. What I am saying is that adding the number of trains on a certain line will affect the number of trains being run on another line. Our system is not like the Paris Métro, the Underground or the Washington DC Metro or even the Toronto subway system. Trains can't be arbitrarily added here and there, doing so will only affect another route. Our system uses interlining to a huge extent.

Consider this example, if you add more (R) trains, it can affect the number of (V) and (W) trains being run. And if you want train frequencies to be better as a whole, the signalling system must be able to cope with it and there has to be a good supply of subway cars. Our system has chokepoints in many areas, adding a number of trains can worsen the situation at a particular chokepoint.

And about technology, if you ride the (L) train, there is an example of technology. There is an electronic sign that shows the next trains arriving and how many more minutes till the next. The system has its own faults and rectifying it and expanding it to the rest of the system will cost a large sum of dollars. What our system needs is not more new technology, we have to fix up the infrastructure. There are parts of the system that are in dire condition and require fix-ups. We should not pay all of our attention on technology, but rather distribute the dollars evenly and spend wisely.

Overhaulling the PA system requires a lot of money too.

And this thread is not about overhaulling PAs or installing electronic signs or adding trains, this thread is about the K train. And I believe we are done with the topic. If Julio feels ready, he can lock this up.

And about technology, if you ride the (L) train, there is an example of technology. There is an electronic sign that shows the next trains arriving and how many more minutes till the next. The system has its own faults and rectifying it and expanding it to the rest of the system will cost a large sum of dollars.

The (L) arrival time displays seem to work well from what I have seen. What are the issues with it? I know it would be difficult to implement on other lines, but single-lines like the (7) could use it too.

P.S. I know this should be in another thread. If the thread needs to be closed, I hope it is okay for me to post a new one on the topic.

The (L) arrival time displays seem to work well from what I have seen. What are the issues with it? I know it would be difficult to implement on other lines, but single-lines like the (7) could use it too.

P.S. I know this should be in another thread. If the thread needs to be closed, I hope it is okay for me to post a new one on the topic.

However, does the MTA really need to invest millions on this stuff? Look at the state of some of the stations. Just months ago, something fell out of the 18th Avenue station on the (F) line. Look at 62nd Street on the (D), where pigeon crap adorns almost every part of the station structure. We need to focus on what is needed.

Yeah, we are getting off track. The issue's pretty much been discussed in its entirety anyway. Everyone has spoken about their feelings about the (K), whether it benefits or not. Personally I think Eighth Avenue could use the new service, and if its barely costing them anything I wouldn't see the problem. But everyone has spoken, whether they make their claim logically or emotionally. I think we've discussed the (K) as much as possible. If anyone else feels this thread should be closed, no problem.

Just getting my final thoughts in before this thread is closed.

First of all, your plan will cause a myriad of unwanted disruptions.

Second of all, it is not cost efficient nor cost effective, due to the significant cost and environmental impact.

Third, your plan will call for many ramps which may affect operation speed in that stretch.

Fourth, the Fulton local was intended to link up with the Second Avenue subway. Those two tracks at Hoyt are not meant to be used to go into Manhattan.

Fifth, the numerous disruptions your plan will cause would plague commuters even more. Flexibility will be limited because the GOs would be more direct and disruptive.

Sixth, there are other projects in the city that need deserving attention.

The next stop for this thread is the Fantasy Forum.

lol, calm down, he's on your side...he's saying why someone's plan (lost track of who) wouldn't work, and what would have to be done to get it to work, and why those things would be infeasible.

if it were me, I would try to simplify the system, and use less routes, particularly redundant ones like (V)(W) and (Z)...To replace the (V) and (W) offer more (F), (G) and (R) trains per hour, the train transfers might be more inconvienient, but not so much if the trains came more frequently during rush hour.

Conveniently, in your sig it says that you haven't ridden the (V)(W)(Z) either...anyway, I'll sum it up like this. The (Z) is redundant (more or less), the (W) is somewhat but needed, the (V) is not redundant and also needed.

As for the (W), if that was nixed, more (N) trains will have to be needed. And that affects the number of (Q) trains being run.
Well, if axing the (W) is a service cut, then you have a surplus of trains and don't need to order more. Then it doesn't affect the other lines. I think she's talking about streamlining service.

However, does the MTA really need to invest millions on this stuff? Look at the state of some of the stations. Just months ago, something fell out of the 18th Avenue station on the (F) line. Look at 62nd Street on the (D), where pigeon crap adorns almost every part of the station structure. We need to focus on what is needed.

The train arrival boards are a result of the ATS system which is already on the IRT. ATS on the (L) is fine but it is wreaking havoc on the IRT, with all its glitches and signal malfunctions every 2 seconds....

Well, if axing the (W) is a service cut, then you have a surplus of trains and don't need to order more. Then it doesn't affect the other lines. I think she's talking about streamlining service.

It does affect other lines. He already said that axing the (W) would call for more (N) trains along Astoria which disrupts (Q) service because they share tracks and that switch at 49th.

Archived