Heading into Manhattan

lilbluefoxie

Im goin to Manhattan for the day soon, taking the train into Penn Station, Im wondering if you had any suggestions for fun things to see on the subway.

I already have these things planned.

- Possibly Going into Grand Central via <7> from Woodside instead of Penn

- NYCTA Transit Museum

- City Hall Loop via (6)

- Franklin Ave (S)

- Take nice photos of all the R142/R143 strip maps (2)(4)(5)(6)(L)

Is the area at the northern end (Franklin Ave Sta.) a safe area? im planing on going up there at the end of the (S) to catch an R32 on the (C) I've never been in that area of Brooklyn and I dont wanna get mugged waiting for a train. Ill be around there on a Weekday, daytime. I plan to be headin home before peak time starts on the LIRR.

I did that the last few times I was in the city, (Im from LI), the last time I was there in June I took the J over the williamsburg bridge.

I havent seen the new South Ferry station yet or the old one. I have no idea how I got down there the last time, Ive done the Staten Island ferry and back but I cant remember how I got there.

Maybe anotehr time in future I want to go on the Staten Isladn ferry, then take the Staten Island railroad to Totenville then go back up. Then another time in future I want to ride the (A) up past 103rd st and see that cool part where it goes between floors.

These are the ones I usually recommend for someone looking to do interesting things while exploring the subway:

-Transit Museum

-(A) to Far Rockaway

-Brighton Line express

-Franklin shuttle

-(7) line to Willets Point and back to Manhattan

-Ride thru City Hall Loop

-(J) line from Jamaica to Manhattan (do this midday if you are not a native NYer)

-Coney Island (Nathan's!)

im worried, I have a big camera that will defenately make me look tourist-ish, so I might do that another time when I have my smaller camera. Then I can get to the last line I need before ive riden them all. I think all I have left is (S) (Franklin Shuttle) (H) (Rockaway Shuttle) (W) and (Z)

How long I got till W and Z go away?

im worried, I have a big camera that will defenately make me look tourist-ish, so I might do that another time when I have my smaller camera. Then I can get to the last line I need before ive riden them all. I think all I have left is (S) (Franklin Shuttle) (H) (Rockaway Shuttle) (W) and (Z)

I've been to Far Rockaway with my DSLR and I didn't have anyone eye my camera like they wanted to steal it. There is a police precinct by the station anyways.

As far as I know, the W and Z services are not getting cut at all. Not at this time, anyway.

And I work in Brooklyn, I drive a truck there all over the place and I know every corner in that borough. Tourists stand to be harassed at every station and on every train. What DOES make you a bigger target is:

-having your wallet or purse or anyone of value out in the open and unattended

-traveling alone (doesn't matter what race or nationality or religion or sex - a single wolf is easier to attack than the entire pack)

-traveling through the wrong area at the wrong time

The Franklin Avenue (S) runs through the Bedford-Stuyvesant and Crown Heights communities, and both of those neighborhoods are in the process of being gentrified and are cleaner than they have been in years, from what I understand. You're more likely to run into the elderly or college and high school kids cutting through the borough than you are any real thugs if you plan on visiting during the day.

Enjoy!:tup:

The (W) and (Z) aren't going anywhere.

As for the big camera...i've used my D200 & 80-200 in Broad Channel a number of times without incident. Wrap the strap around your hand, and keep an eye out on people. Transit district #23 routinely patrols the (A) in Queens, every time i'm out there I see them.

Archived