System Wide Question; Exp or Local

the problems with that is if the (A) and (D) are both express, who's stoping on the CPW? some these lines that switch to local do so so that they can offer a higher level of late night service without bumping up the amount of service on the pre exisiting locals. If an indevidual route has a 20minte headway in the middle of the night, having two lines bumps it up to 6 TPH from 3.

It can be a different train to make the local stops, but I get what you are saying!

I would have the (M) and select (D)s run express down the west end and have a <4> on the woolawn.

there is no need for express service on the West End and i think the <4> pilot was not very successful because (NYCT) has not announced any plans to implement Woodlawn Express service.

I'll make the (2)(4)(A) *(D) run express late nights....some of them is to long of a local route and (N) express via Broadway on weekends and I have my reasons why ;)

*via 4th Avenue!

please get all the facts before showing your suggestions. you cannot have the (2) run express since the (3) terminates at 42nd Street-Times Square on the express tracks. same thing goes for the (D) with the (R) at 36th Street (it would not save much time anyway). make the (4) express late at night and you will have Lexington Avenue customers complaining about long waiting time. that is why in 1999, the late night (2) express was discontinued and the (6) began running to Brooklyn Bridge at all times (it used to terminate at 125th Street during late nights before that). all trains run every 20 minutes during late nights and express trains usually only save you 8-10 minutes the most. i think the service is perfect the way it is, though imo, they should extend the (5) to Grand Central-42nd Street late at nights via Lexington Avenue express just like what they did to the (3) last year. i also think they should have all (6)<6> run to Pelham Bay Park with express service between that station and Parkchester.

please get all the facts before showing your suggestions. you cannot have the (2) run express since the (3) terminates at 42nd Street-Times Square on the express tracks.

Of course you can! The (3) relays on a spur track south of 42nd St. Stop presenting as fact things that you obviously do not know.

Wow Zman you are on the prowl today haha. Someone already said the (A)(2) and (D) already for late night express service. What I wouldn't mind seeing is the (;) active on weekends. Full time express service along Brighton would be nice. Other than that I actually think the existing locals we have already bat 1,000.

The (5) should definitely operate to Grand Central during late nights, or even better, to Brooklyn Bridge or Bowling Green. So there can be express service on the East Side at night to coincide with West Side Express service.

there is no need for express service on the West End and i think the <4> pilot was not very successful because (NYCT) has not announced any plans to implement Woodlawn Express service.

please get all the facts before showing your suggestions. you cannot have the (2) run express since the (3) terminates at 42nd Street-Times Square on the express tracks. same thing goes for the (D) with the (R) at 36th Street (it would not save much time anyway). make the (4) express late at night and you will have Lexington Avenue customers complaining about long waiting time. that is why in 1999, the late night (2) express was discontinued and the (6) began running to Brooklyn Bridge at all times (it used to terminate at 125th Street during late nights before that). all trains run every 20 minutes during late nights and express trains usually only save you 8-10 minutes the most. i think the service is perfect the way it is, though imo, they should extend the (5) to Grand Central-42nd Street late at nights via Lexington Avenue express just like what they did to the (3) last year. i also think they should have all (6)<6> run to Pelham Bay Park with express service between that station and Parkchester.

I'm afraid that we're not going to find out about the <4> Pilot program results for a while. But from what i heard on the news, people do seem to like it. But my main concern is, will Woodlawn handle enough trains? Woodlawn has two tracks; Flushing has three. Flushing can handle (7) and <7> service. Pelham Bay Park can only handle two trains, which is why the (6) Local relays at Parkchester. How they'll get extra trains to Woodlawn I don't know.

i would make the (2) train express in either the bronx or brooklyn because that line has way too many stops

If the line went express in Brooklyn, it would create a bottleneck between Atlantic Avenue and Nevins Street. Why do you think the (4) and (5) operate express in Brooklyn? Because the express tracks provide direct service to Lexington Avenue and the local tracks go to Seventh Avenue. Why is it like this I don't know, but what's done is done. As for the Bronx, this was already tried out and it failed. The <2> would have gone express in the Bronx but local passengers between Third Avenue and East 180th Street went berserk because they wanted direct service to Manhattan or to Wakefield instead of taking the (5) and waiting for the <2>, so I don't think the service pattern was even implemented by the time it was printed on maps in 2000.

I don't know what portion of it should be, exactly, but I feel as if the (R) could use some express service...any ideas?

Bottlenecking at DeKalb Avenue and Prince Street? No way.

People are missing the point of Locals and Expresses. Locals serve all stations, and Expresses serve some stations. The purpose of an express service is to get passengers to and from a destination with ease, whereas for a local, it just takes you to a station that the local doesn't. That's the only reason I use the (C): to get home. I transfer from the (A) and I'm all set. there's no way I'm going to take a train making all stops to get to where I want to go. Unless that's the only option, depending if there's a G.O. in effect or there's no alternative option, then I'm not taking a local. End of story.

why did they stop running the astoria EXP service? this might have been answered already but i just wanted to know?

was not very popular with residents.

Of course you can! The (3) relays on a spur track south of 42nd St. Stop presenting as fact things that you obviously do not know.

even if that is the case, making the (2) express in Manhattan late at nights would still be a bad idea because then local customers will rant (NYCT) about long waiting times.

Wow Zman you are on the prowl today haha. Someone already said the (A)(2) and (D) already for late night express service. What I wouldn't mind seeing is the (;) active on weekends. Full time express service along Brighton would be nice. Other than that I actually think the existing locals we have already bat 1,000.

yes, the (;) should run on weekends. the (C)(D)(Q) get jam packed during that time

At the very least it should operate via the Manhattan Bridge

honestly, there is really no way to make the (R) express anywhere.

even if that is the case, making the (2) express in Manhattan late at nights would still be a bad idea because then local customers will rant (NYCT) about long waiting times.

But they didn't rant the first 100 years. Besides, what usually happens is that the (1) and (2) trains wind up arriving back to back due to overnight track gangs, so they still have to wait 15-20 minutes between trains.

was not very popular with residents.

yes, the (;) should run on weekends. the (C)(D)(Q) get jam packed during that time

honestly, there is really no way to make the (R) express anywhere.

Yes there is switch up like back in the days (R) to ditmars -coney island EXP

(N) 71 cont- and if that doesn't work nooo prob make the (R) EXP from pacific st - 95 use those exp tracks all the up make the <R> run both local and exp to 95 skip- stop service might be another way so yeh there's always a way. (K)(R)

Yes there is switch up like back in the days (R) to ditmars -coney island EXP

(N) 71 cont- and if that doesn't work nooo prob make the (R) EXP from pacific st - 95 use those exp tracks all the up make the <R> run both local and exp to 95 skip- stop service might be another way so yeh there's always a way. (K)(R)

OK. First off, making the (R) run to Ditmars and Coney Island is pointless because the (N) does that. Besides, the (R) and (N) are where they are for a reason: yard access.

Second: Is there enough demand for an (R) express from Atlantic-Pacific all the way to 95? There may be a way, but the way isn't always practical and thus shouldn't be implemented. Honestly, I think the (R) is fine the way it is. No need to make it express anyway just because some people would like to see it happen.

1st of all I know my facts....thank you very much. Its my suggestion and my opinion. I go on nycsubway.org for the track maps and think of ideas for different services. Before you decide to be a smart ass and jump my throat watch what you say to me and disagree with me in a respectful manner!

Dont be so quick to judge. The (MTA) takes a long time to announce something about implementation of extra service & improvements or rejection of service or improvements & whatnot, Like the Bleecker Street rehab, announced at 2007, went to work at 2009...

why did they stop running the astoria EXP service? this might have been answered already but i just wanted to know?

i think it was because the (W) was causing delays with the switching of the (W) train from the local to express (or vice versa) at Ditmars Blvd or Queensboro Plaza, and also delay the (N) from running at normal speed. besides, it was only skipping 4 stops on that line.

Archived