Hunters Points residents whine about idling trains

Forest Glen

NIMBY's in Long Island City are complaining about idling trains. They're also upset about the diesel fumes from the DE30. The LIRR says that shutting off trains wouldn't be practical since it would take too long to power them up. These NIMBY's act like they were there before the train yard was built.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2009/07/03/2009-07-03_hunters_point_residents_say_diesel_engine_at_railyard_run_all_day.html

WTH? The LIRR was there for over 100 years how the hell do people complain now? The people back then never pissed and moaned about it. Kinda reminds me of the people in Aberdeen NJ. They piss and moan about NJ Transit but then they are like "I can't imagine life without my NJ Transit."

WTH? The LIRR was there for over 100 years how the hell do people complain now? The people back then never pissed and moaned about it. Kinda reminds me of the people in Aberdeen NJ. They piss and moan about NJ Transit but then they are like "I can't imagine life without my NJ Transit."

Sounds like a classic case of limousine liberalism.

(and yes, I looked up the 6th congressional district and they have a nice Cook index of D+8)

People love to complain like hell. If you dont like it, move and this time live in area where you are far from industries..

BTW why doesn't the LIRR uses the GE Genesis loco similar to MNCR/NJT/Amtrak?

You can't even call them NIMBY's because the train yards was there before they even thought about building condo's there.These people need to get a life. They chose to live there. The MTA/LIRR shouldn't be forced to do nothing .

People who recently move into a gentrifying neighborhood don't always do their research before they relocate. They assume that all that is there is what they see on the advertisements. They forget that many of these neighborhoods were once industrial zones.

People love to complain like hell. If you dont like it, move and this time live in area where you are far from industries..

BTW why doesn't the LIRR uses the GE Genesis loco similar to MNCR/NJT/Amtrak?

No Genesis for the LIRR, it uses dual powered locomotives!

Long Island City is a really crappy place. Who would want to live there anyway? Most of it is industrial and warehouses anyway. They deserve the noise and fumes for moving there in the first place. These are the typical trendy hipsters who probably live there now.

I don't think these people's complaints are valid, but an engine shouldn't just sit there idling 8 hours a day. Thats too long and a waste of resources. I could understand if the were idling 30 mins. to an hour, but there is no excuse for 8 hours.

Thats true though, the locomotives that sit parked at 127 street by atlantic avenue in Queens sometimes are on for hours and hours on end without even moving wasting fuel, this is also a pretty industrial area as well, but where the yards are in LIC is VERY industrial. Those people are stupid for moving into that neighborhood. It's mostly a drug and prostitution racket around there, atleast it used to be from what I remember.

Does Dual Mode means, Dieseled- electric?

Most modern "diesel" locomotives are diesel-electrics. A diesel-electric is not the same as a dual-mode.

Dual-mode locomotives can run off of an internal diesel engine -OR- from third rail. Diesel-electric locomotives have electric motors to provide traction. That motor is powered by a diesel generator. In a diesel-electric, third rail operation is not possible.

Long Island City is a really crappy place. Who would want to live there anyway? Most of it is industrial and warehouses anyway. They deserve the noise and fumes for moving there in the first place. These are the typical trendy hipsters who probably live there now.

It's not really that bad anymore.

Long Island City is also 5 minutes away from midtown Manhattan on 6 subway lines, so I think that may have something to do with it...

It's not really that bad anymore.

Long Island City is also 5 minutes away from midtown Manhattan on 6 subway lines, so I think that may have something to do with it...

Well thats the price they have to pay for wanting to live 5 minutes from Manhattan. If they want a better quality of life they have to spend more money and move to a better neighborhood.

I don't think these people's complaints are valid, but an engine shouldn't just sit there idling 8 hours a day. Thats too long and a waste of resources. I could understand if the were idling 30 mins. to an hour, but there is no excuse for 8 hours.

I am no expert on LIRR operations, but i do know that if a train breaks down, you'll want another one in soon, taking too long to start up = people wait on disabled train or at station longer. Though i agree it should be kept minimal, perhaps cycle through different locos vs one run all day, i dunno. I know the hudson protect's diesel engine runs all day, imagine if they shut it down & then a train needed assist. D'oh.

Does Dual Mode means, Dieseled- electric?

Dual mode means a vehicle that has 2 modes of moving itself, in this case one is 3rd rail, and one is diesel-electric.

Thats true though, the locomotives that sit parked at 127 street by atlantic avenue in Queens sometimes are on for hours and hours on end without even moving wasting fuel, this is also a pretty industrial area as well, but where the yards are in LIC is VERY industrial. Those people are stupid for moving into that neighborhood. It's mostly a drug and prostitution racket around there, atleast it used to be from what I remember.

The worst thing you can do to a locomotive's diesel or turbine engine is start it & stop it a lot, they are engineered to run basically all day, as long as they need it to run. Newer locos are not as bad with this, but the older ones still need TLC, including these LIRR units that are actually older than people think (about 10 years old). The only newer loco that i know of that is ok with this start/stop idea is the PL42AC, but that's a different story all together.

- A

Two years ago, I've heard rumors circulating that the entire Lower Montauk line including LIC station would be abandoned as soon as the East Side Access Project is complete. I seriously didn't get the point and was wondering if anyone highlight any info on this matter. Thanks!

Two years ago, I've heard rumors circulating that the entire Lower Montauk line including LIC station would be abandoned as soon as the East Side Access Project is complete. I seriously didn't get the point and was wondering if anyone highlight any info on this matter. Thanks!

I doubt it. Curtailing passenger service on the Lower Montauk would result in the line falling out of ownership of the LIRR, due to terms and conditions already set down (that's why the LIRR has two passenger trains per day operating via Lower Montauk, to satisfy these conditions.) And I doubt that the LIRR would want to relinquish a perfectly good backup route in case of mainline troubles.

Archived