E - J Connection at Sutphin?

traildriver

Is there any track connection between the E and J lines at either Sutphin or Parsons Blvd.?

If not, I wonder why they didn't plan it that way to offer flexibility for work trains or reroutes, etc.

No there isn't any track connections b/w the (E) and (J) @ Sutphin Blvd-Archer Avenue/JFK or Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer stations....its only an upper and lower level @ both stations. As for re-routes if anything happens to the (E) they would sent it up the (F) line to Jamaica-179th Street and maybe provide bus or another train line to Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer. The (J) not to sure of....it haven't been any issues with the (J) line near Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer!

What about Broadway Junction? Wouldn't that be a better suite to terminate train is there's a problem along the Jamaica Line or not?

Well if there isnt any problem any where from 121st to ENY then 121st would do. Instead of causing a major G/O for passengers. And Of course North of Crescent would possibly do, there is a layup track there. ENY would also do too like you said.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

well it all depends on where the service disruption is at. for Archer ave the relay is at 121. for between cresent and 121 its cresent. for between cresent and Jct its at JCT
that would be correct.

Wait, I'm a little confused. Let me see if I can figure this out.

If a train operates only between Broadway Junction and Manhattan, it'll relay at Broadway Junction (north or south I don't know, it could probably use the center track). If Crescent Street were used as a terminal, trains would leave the station on the northbound track, cross onto the center track and relay back down onto the southbound track. And trains that use 121st Street as a northern terminal would leave 121st Street and cross over onto the southbound track and return to the station. However when Archer Avenue was being created trains were cut back to 111th Street from 121st because there was nowhere for trains to go after leaving 121st without interfering with work.

could the mta, if it has the money someday, extend tracks from jamaica center further down to merrick and make a 4 track terminal where all trains can terminate or a better terminal (unlike jamaica center) where trains aren't so slow in turning back to manhattan bound?

could the mta, if it has the money someday, extend tracks from jamaica center further down to merrick and make a 4 track terminal where all trains can terminate or a better terminal (unlike jamaica center) where trains aren't so slow in turning back to manhattan bound?

There is no demand for it now. If the demand ever arises, it should be done.

Wait, I'm a little confused. Let me see if I can figure this out.

If a train operates only between Broadway Junction and Manhattan, it'll relay at Broadway Junction (north or south I don't know, it could probably use the center track). If Crescent Street were used as a terminal, trains would leave the station on the northbound track, cross onto the center track and relay back down onto the southbound track. And trains that use 121st Street as a northern terminal would leave 121st Street and cross over onto the southbound track and return to the station. However when Archer Avenue was being created trains were cut back to 111th Street from 121st because there was nowhere for trains to go after leaving 121st without interfering with work.

http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigqueens3.png

Track map with (J) b/w Cypress Hills and Sutphin Blvd-Archer Avenue/JFK!

http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigbklyn-1.png

Track map of (J) b/w Marcy Avenue and Cypress Hills!

but I think you got already from your statement!

http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigqueens3.png

There is no connection between them whatsoever.

Um...R32 B Trains is kinda right. If a train leaves the station at the upper level, it could run along Eighth or Sixth Avenue, then use the Chrystie Street Connection and make its way to the lover level via the rest of the Jamaica Line.

Um...R32 B Trains is kinda right. If a train leaves the station at the upper level, it could run along Eighth or Sixth Avenue, then use the Chrystie Street Connection and make its way to the lover level via the rest of the Jamaica Line.

Okay, but I thought he was talking about while in that corridor...

There is no demand for it now. If the demand ever arises, it should be done.

The (E) doesn't need a 4 track terminal, two is enough because 4 can create bottlenecks. However, a 2-track terminal can turn around 25-30TPH which is optimal for (E) service. BTW, Jamaica doesn't have a problem with turning back trains slowly because there are tail tracks. It would be a very good terminal if the switch was closer to the station though. One more thing, there is demand for an (E) extension. The (E) to Merrick would exist today if the (MTA) had money to finish the extension back in the 80s.

That map is actually wrong. The upper level tracks curve south under 160th St, they DO NOT continue east along Archer avenue.

Upper level construction continues under 160th St to South Rd. Lower level goes on another train length, so I'd say the bumper blocks are just past 160th St under Archer.

Archived