Sarah Palin not running for 2nd term as Governor. A 2012 White House bid next?

Shortline Bus

Sarah Palin who in the summer of 2008 went from an unknown 1st term young Governor to overnight an international political figure as the GOP's Vice President pick for John McCain,

on Friday (7/3/09) announced she will not seek another term as Alaska Chief Executive in the 2010 elections.

Although not yet offically announced, Palin plans to create a committee that may test the run for her possible bid in 2012 for the White House.

Is this the right move for Palin right now?

Her career in politics is finished, this is why she resigned. If she really intended to run in 2012 she would have finished her term as governer. Not finishing her term will hurt her chances for 2012 greatly. Everyone made a laughing stock out of her and her lack of education and ignorance. Shes a typical "hick" and electing her would be like electing a dumber version of Bush. She won't run for president in 2012 nor will she have the money to. I think she realises how she could barely govern Alaska and how foolish she has been during all of her appearences in the media and now she is resigning. Remember, this lady used to be a news caster in a state where the men outnumber the women big time, it's not hard to see why she was elected governer in the first place.

Taken from an article in the New York Times

" in 2000, there were about 113,000 single men and 100,000 single women, according to the census. Forty-eight percent of Alaska's 650,000 residents are women, according to the 2000 Census, up from 47 percent in 1990.

Complicating matters for lovelorn men, Anchorage and Fairbanks, the state's two largest cities, are becoming the fast-growing hot spots of a new demographic -- lesbians. Alaska now ranks 12th in the nation in its concentration of lesbian couples per capita, said Jason Ost, a researcher at the Urban Institute and the co-author of ''The Gay & Lesbian Atlas.''

I heard it on the train yesterday (7/3/09) as i was in Boston and out all day. However i am surprised she resigning now.

Here Daily News article.

Alaska's governor Sarah Palin to resign, dooming her presidential pipe dream

BY Thomas M. Defrank

DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU CHIEF

Saturday, July 4th 200

Sarah Palin announces that she is resigning as Governor of Alaska. Some Republican insiders say this dooms any hopes of a presidential bid.

WASHINGTON - Sarah Palin's bizarre bailout dooms her chances of ever being President, Republican mandarins said Friday - but she was already finished

by many Some Republican insiders .

"We just got to put first things first. First things first, as governor, I love my job. I love Alaska. It hurts to make this choice but I am doing what's best for Alaska and I have explained why. So I think of the saying on my parent's refrigerator, a little magnet: 'Don't explain. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.'"

She was joined at the announcement by her parents, family and state commissioners.

Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell will be sworn in at the Governor’s picnic in Fairbanks on July 26; Lieutenant General Craig Campbell will assume his role as Lieutenant Governor. The Alaska governor's disastrous run turn as John McCain's running mate, followed by her lurching, controversial encore on the national scene, had already sealed her fate - except, perhaps, with the GOP's most far-right wing.

Still, the experts were unanimously stunned to hear her walk off the job with 16 months left in her term - shrinking her résumé even more and surrendering the best platform she has beyond her double-edged celebrity status.

"If you aspire to the highest office in the land, then suddenly think your lieutenant governor can do a better job - not exactly a profile in courage," one party pro told the Daily News.

Few GOP insiders were surprised Palin decided against running for reelection. The Alaska statehouse is too isolated a locale for any politician aspiring to high national office, they said.

"You need to be in the Lower 48 to be credible politically," a senior adviser to several Republican Presidents noted.

But quitting mid-term with a rambling rant is not the way to get there.

"She proved she couldn't play in the big leagues last fall and now she's proven it again," one of the party's most prominent kingmakers said. "If you can't even handle a governorship, there's no way you can handle the White House.

"She couldn't win - but now she can't even run," added the official, who once was among her most fervent boosters.

"She has an incredibly thin résumé, a serious lack of gravitas, no coherent philosophy and the people around her are amateurs," another top Republican pol argued. "She's finished."

tdefrank@nydailynews.com

Its early but unless Obama has a Jimmy Carter type Presidency he should win reelection in a blowout in 2012.

This was a shocker to me too. And honestly I think if she did this she has something up her sleeve. Despite what most of us think of her, she does have a substantial 'fan base' if you will that will be supportive of her till the very end. So I actually am going to wait and see how this plays out. I'm not a fan of hers but the one thing I do like about her is that she's the genuine article. Thats the persona she has both on the scene and off of it. If she were to be more intelligent and have an actual idea of the world outside of Alaska she would have actually been somewhat formidable. Its quite clear she was isolated from the US as well as most of the world. She needs to get out and travel read a few books and maybe take a few classes. Other than she is a nice enough woman.

This was a shocker to me too. And honestly I think if she did this she has something up her sleeve. Despite what most of us think of her, she does have a substantial 'fan base' if you will that will be supportive of her till the very end. So I actually am going to wait and see how this plays out. I'm not a fan of hers but the one thing I do like about her is that she's the genuine article. Thats the persona she has both on the scene and off of it. If she were to be more intelligent and have an actual idea of the world outside of Alaska she would have actually been somewhat formidable. Its quite clear she was isolated from the US as well as most of the world. She needs to get out and travel read a few books and maybe take a few classes. Other than she is a nice enough woman.

Perfectly said Urban. I think she got tired of the attacks against her family or a major political scandal was brewing. Remember her 'mentor' is former US Senator Ted Stevens now in jail on corruption.

Some of the attacks against Palin were below the belt and frankly might have been sexist. Even Obama during the campaign and now as President has had to defend her.

On issue to being President not everyone is meant to have that job. You dont have to be a genuis like 'einstein' to be President of the United States. However you do want a bright person in that job as well and you dont want 'airheads' like Bart Simpson or Paris Hilton as Commander in Chief either lol.:cool:

Actually i think my guess in the long term, she will have a job in the media where she began her carrer. Maybe she will be either on television as an politically analyst or national talk show host either on the cable news stations like Fox or on the radio. Remember Rush, Hannity and other consertative leaning commentators earn tens of millions doing that.

Also I'll point out her debate with Joe Biden vs Obama & McCain. There was an obvious level of respect from her toward her debating opponent where as John McCain came off very condescending toward Obama. Maybe she isn't the brightest apple on the tree but she has a code of ethics and I do agree with what she said yesterday when she said she and her team were spending more time AND money defending against those allegations and scandals than the progress of her state. It shows she has a great deal of passion toward what she puts her energy into whether we agree with it or not.

I would be upset if she ran for president, particularly if she won. I don't feel as if she would be a good example as the first female president, especially since she is so adamant against a woman's right to choose, and calls herself a "hockey mom". I think that the first female president should be a little more cosmopolitan.

I would be upset if she ran for president, particularly if she won. I don't feel as if she would be a good example as the first female president, especially since she is so adamant against a woman's right to choose, and calls herself a "hockey mom". I think that the first female president should be a little more cosmopolitan.
Sorry If I offend the women or other people on this board, but I find something very sick about killing a baby. If you had unforced unprotected sex with a man, then you must keep the baby. I totally agree with Palin with the right to life thing.

Sorry If I offend the women or other people on this board, but I find something very sick about killing a baby. If you had unforced unprotected sex with a man, then you must keep the baby.
I see your point, but what if it was forced?

I see your point, but what if it was forced?

Guys lets try to keep to the Palin isue and not go off on the abortion topic(any of you can create that 'pro choice/pro life' agrument in separte)ok please thanks.;)I created this topic on reactions to Palin leaving her job and most important her political/personal views is fair game.

I would only probably support abortion if a mother's life is at risk due to birth. I think It would be wrong as well if It were due to rape, despite the evil of rape.

I disagree with you because I would find it sad for a child to be brought into a world where it is unwanted. But hey, we can have differing opinions and still be friends, right? It was nice debating with you. =D

Her career in politics is finished, this is why she resigned. If she really intended to run in 2012 she would have finished her term as governer. Not finishing her term will hurt her chances for 2012 greatly. Everyone made a laughing stock out of her and her lack of education and ignorance. Shes a typical "hick" and electing her would be like electing a dumber version of Bush. She won't run for president in 2012 nor will she have the money to. I think she realises how she could barely govern Alaska and how foolish she has been during all of her appearences in the media and now she is resigning. Remember, this lady used to be a news caster in a state where the men outnumber the women big time, it's not hard to see why she was elected governer in the first place.

I agree 100 percent with this part. If she planned on running she would have finished her term. Now she has no platform to run off of. But I could care less I really do not like her and if she is in power, we would be royally screwed. I don't think money will be a problem considering the Republicans will be supporting her. But I hope she gets knocked out of the race before it happens. She's just not the person for the job. And I don't think she should be in politics in general.

The idea of this person running for president scares me. The last oil state governor that sat in the white house (wasn't elected either time) did a fantastic job, so fantastic that the rest of the world for a few years there really hated our guts. No thanks, i want an intelligent sane person as president.

- A

I still like her, shes got a great down-to-earth personality. however I think she might make a good personality on TV, perhaps replacing Greta after Hannity on Fox News. Or she might wind up like Newt who just appears on TV all the time as a guest going from show to show.

I still like her, shes got a great down-to-earth personality. however I think she might make a good personality on TV, perhaps replacing Greta after Hannity on Fox News. Or she might wind up like Newt who just appears on TV all the time as a guest going from show to show.

MSNBC is another possible choice for her since they are 3rd aka last place among the big national cable news channels.

Archived