Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Olegkha

5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

Flushing , you had him? My husband said he is an amazing instructor...so thorough and really in depth with showing you not only what you are doing right but what you are doing wrong.

I had him.

when ur on probation don`t do this ever

Best to keep humble, keep quiet and most important to keep your cool. Just yesterday a B/O called into console and said that somebody spit on his mouth, he sounded angry, he said that she then got off the bus and ran away, this was at Roosevelt Ave/Main St, on one of the MTA Bus routes.

This B/O better watch his back because you never know who is going to be out there looking for you trying to get revenge. You just can't let what strangers say get to you. Absorb it and rinse it out like a sponge.

For those waiting on any of the B/O lists if you aren't mentally tough then this job might not be for you. You will sometimes have the lowest common denominator of society on your buses and you will have to deal with them.

Best to keep humble, keep quiet and most important to keep your cool. Just yesterday a B/O called into console and said that somebody spit on his mouth, he sounded angry, he said that she then got off the bus and ran away, this was at Roosevelt Ave/Main St, on one of the MTA Bus routes.

This B/O better watch his back because you never know who is going to be out there looking for you trying to get revenge. You just can't let what strangers say get to you. Absorb it and rinse it out like a sponge.

For those waiting on any of the B/O lists if you aren't mentally tough then this job might not be for you. You will sometimes have the lowest common denominator of society on your buses and you will have to deal with them.

I agree with you and that's what most B/O's say...it is even in the handbook. My husband is in Day 6 today, I have not heard from him today but he should be home in 2 hours or so. Yesterday and today they did Manhattan driving, he did well yesterday so hopefully all goes well today as well. Tomorrow is Day 7 so keeping my fingers crossed! :P

5025 is BO test

I ended up qualifying on day 7

Monday day 0

Everyone gets to fill out 10 application papers for the whole 8 hours that we were there. Some people had to redo some papers more than ones, because they made mistakes, and crossing out is not permitted :P

Tuesday Day 1

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 4 people per bus, 1 instructor. We got to drive about an hour and a half on the first day . No traffic area, very simple left right turns. MTA Bus and TA people all mixed together. Just trying to get used to the damn mirror on the right side of the bus ( MTA wants you set up that mirror so you can see the rear right tire. That means you cannot see nothing next to the bus. So blind merging is FUN ! )

Wednesday Day 2

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 4 people per bus, 1 instructor. We drove the bus from Flatbush depot to Bronx and drove around in Bronx for a bit. Highway driving and Local Streets driving for every one. Again with the damn mirror on RTS bus. It’s a Bit#$.

Thursday Day 3

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 4 people per bus, 1 instructor. Drove around more to get used to the driving a long bus. Still trying to get used to the damn mirror. Hit a curb couple of times but nothing major ( a big no no )

Friday Day 4

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 4 people per bus, 1 instructor. We were reassigned to the new depot, and new instructor. Drove to Brooklyn, Coney island from JFK depot. Did some El Pillars ( Driving in between column of the elevated Train ) ( 86 street in Brooklyn, Coney island ). Interesting, but strange experience, coming in and out of traffic to get practice of driving in-between the darn things.

Monday Day 5 / QUALIFICATION DAY 1 ( Must do 2 days out of 3 in order to pass this time around )

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 3 people per bus, 1 instructor. Yep only 3 people, Some one already was let go, This job is not for him. Drove to NYC Up-town around 120-96 streets. Somewhat heavy traffic, Did a lot of turns and bus stops. Drove around about 2 hours per person

Tuesday Day 6 / QUALIFICATION DAY 2 ( Must do 2 days out of 3 in order to pass this time around )

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 3 people per bus, 1 instructor. Drove to NYC down town, 10-36 streets WHAT A BIT$#. Especially going east on 14 street and making a left turn on Park Ave. There is no room to make that turn especially with a stupid cab just parking in my lane and leaving the car standing there ;( Had to back up ( day failed ;( ) drove around for 45 minutes ( we all were upset about the road we took and all of us screwed up on it )

Wednesday Day 7 / QUALIFICATION DAY 3 ( Must do 2 days out of 3 in order to pass this time around )

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 3 people per bus, 1 instructor. Drove to Bronx (not sure where we were, but it’s up in 150th street or so ) very short , but very hard track. We had to make a left turn that 2 other people did not make. I have no clue how I made it, but I had 3 inches from curb to left rear tire, and 1 inch from Light Pole to right front bumper. ( I later Learned that all other people went to other places and had a short easy time on day 7, nothing like we did, very unfair ! ). Then went back to Zerega Ave depot, and did parking and back up ( easy ) .

I Passed qualification (I drove the bus 5 hours before I got to MTA)

Another person who never drove the bus before Passed qualification

Third person who got 5 years school bus experience failed ( but passed on day 9 )

Thursday Day 8

Whoever failed the qualification are taking their 1 free training day, and the rest of us are hanging around and driving a new Hybrid bus ( what a piece of cake that bus is, easy in turns, mirrors are great, shorter wheel base, awesome bus )

Friday Day 9

Whoever failed the qualification are taking their 1 day to qualify ( if they will fail again they will have last chance to get the job on Monday morning, but they will have 2 instructors instead of 1, and it will be their last chance ) . We are doing our First Aid class, and hanging around, waiting for the rest of the folks to catch up

I don't understand the process ...I mean I thought it was either qualify on Day 7 or you have Day 9 and Day 10 to qualify as well.

So what you are saying is you need 2/3 days to qualify. So if someone passes day 5 and 6...they qualify by day 6? Sorry for the confusion just want to be clear.

Thanks!

I don't understand the process ...I mean I thought it was either qualify on Day 7 or you have Day 9 and Day 10 to qualify as well.

So what you are saying is you need 2/3 days to qualify. So if someone passes day 5 and 6...they qualify by day 6? Sorry for the confusion just want to be clear.

Thanks!

Don't let Olegkha's post confuse you, you can only qualify on day 7, 9, or 10.

If you pass on day 7, the next day you are at Zerega watching cable tv, taking it easy, lol. You don't need to go through the "qualifying" road test again. I hope this made sense for you Gabchi. Good luck for tomorrow!

If you pass on day 7, the next day you are at Zerega watching cable tv, taking it easy, lol. You don't need to go through the "qualifying" road test again. I hope this made sense for you Gabchi. Good luck for tomorrow!

Aha, thanks so much for the explanation! He did well today and is excited about tomorrow. Now After qualifying on Day 7, what happens next at Zerega? Also, when would you find out what depot you are going to for Line Training?

Aha, thanks so much for the explanation! He did well today and is excited about tomorrow. Now After qualifying on Day 7, what happens next at Zerega? Also, when would you find out what depot you are going to for Line Training?

I dug up an old post from this thread, hope it helps, what hours is the training for tomorrow? 6am-2pm?

The depot that i am going to is Ulmer park ( at least my line training will be there )

There was only one choice for me, 1 spot in Ulmer park, 0 spots in Flatbush, the next one closest was Grand Ave ( far )

They took away SI people and QU people to different rooms

I was 5th to chose out of Br, Bx, NYC crowd ( about 23 people in the room left ) there was only one slot open in Ulmer and i took it, the rest went to Bronx, and only couple to 100 street , and couple to Grand Ave.

They dont have all of the depots available, approx it looked like this

100 street spots(3)

ulmer spot(1)

grand ave spots(4)

Gun hill(7)

kingsbridge(9)

and you have only seconds to chose, because the whole class is waiting on you, so you better have all depots in your head, so you know which one is where ( there is a map just outside of the class that has all of them listed )

Another thing, THINK HARD where you want to work BEFORE day 1, here is why :

They will give you papers to fill out " preferred borough ". If you will chose QUEENS you will get into that depot, at the pick time, and you will NEVER be able to move to a different depot( there are 3 depots in queens to chose from).

If you chose SI, you will chose a depot in SI and when the time comes to pick again you will only move to SI depot ( there are 2 now, but one more should be open in just a bit )

If you chose Brooklyn , you will be able to move around in Brooklyn, Bronx, and 124st in Manhattan

Today was interesting, alot of different information, plus pick, plus paychec

Tomorrow AM heading to depot for line training.

if you screwed up day 5 and day 6, no matter how brilliant you are on day 7, you are screwed, and going to the 8 and 9

you need to do well on two out of three days 5,6,7

if you screwed up day 5 and day 6, no matter how brilliant you are on day 7, you are screwed, and going to the 8 and 9

you need to do well on two out of three days 5,6,7

He did well pretty much everyday...He def. did well 5 and 6 and now day 7 is tomorrow he is there 9-5.

I dug up an old post from this thread, hope it helps, what hours is the training for tomorrow? 6am-2pm?

The depot that i am going to is Ulmer park ( at least my line training will be there )

There was only one choice for me, 1 spot in Ulmer park, 0 spots in Flatbush, the next one closest was Grand Ave ( far )

They took away SI people and QU people to different rooms

I was 5th to chose out of Br, Bx, NYC crowd ( about 23 people in the room left ) there was only one slot open in Ulmer and i took it, the rest went to Bronx, and only couple to 100 street , and couple to Grand Ave.

They dont have all of the depots available, approx it looked like this

100 street spots(3)

ulmer spot(1)

grand ave spots(4)

Gun hill(7)

kingsbridge(9)

and you have only seconds to chose, because the whole class is waiting on you, so you better have all depots in your head, so you know which one is where ( there is a map just outside of the class that has all of them listed )

Another thing, THINK HARD where you want to work BEFORE day 1, here is why :

They will give you papers to fill out " preferred borough ". If you will chose QUEENS you will get into that depot, at the pick time, and you will NEVER be able to move to a different depot( there are 3 depots in queens to chose from).

If you chose SI, you will chose a depot in SI and when the time comes to pick again you will only move to SI depot ( there are 2 now, but one more should be open in just a bit )

If you chose Brooklyn , you will be able to move around in Brooklyn, Bronx, and 124st in Manhattan

Today was interesting, alot of different information, plus pick, plus paychec

Tomorrow AM heading to depot for line training.

My husbands preferred borough was SI....but that does not mean he will get SI right? What happens if there are no openings now, they just put him where he is needed and when SI opens up then when it's his time he can get in to SI?

Yeah, what I meant to say was that day 7 is the earliest that you can qualify.

Gabchi: If there are no openings for S.I. your husband will get sent to a depot where there are a lot of open slots(Kingsbridge):eek:

But from what I understand he will sign a one time transfer form so during the next system pick he can get into a S.I depot. I hope he doesn't have one of the last list numbers in the class. Where has he been sitting in class? towards the back right?

Yeah, what I meant to say was that day 7 is the earliest that you can qualify.

Gabchi: If there are no openings for S.I. your husband will get sent to a depot where there are a lot of open slots(Kingsbridge):eek:

But from what I understand he will sign a one time transfer form so during the next system pick he can get into a S.I depot. I hope he doesn't have one of the last list numbers in the class. Where has he been sitting in class? towards the back right?

Not sure where he was sitting during the first day

My husband qualified today for b/o...day 7, tomorrow he goes to Zerega

cool !

congrads !

Next couple of days he will take it easy and be bored out of his mind ;)

My husband qualified today for b/o...day 7, tomorrow he goes to Zerega

Congrats to the both of you! Let us know how many make the final cut by early next week. Also if there is another class starting on Monday the 31st.

Meanwhile your husband needs to start up the anti S.I depot propaganda, lol, make sure he gets to know the people that have lower lost numbers than him who qualified. He needs to work on them. ;)

Congrats to the both of you! Let us know how many make the final cut by early next week. Also if there is another class starting on Monday the 31st.

Meanwhile your husband needs to start up the anti S.I depot propaganda, lol, make sure he gets to know the people that have lower lost numbers than him who qualified. He needs to work on them. B)

Haha, yea I will. 3 out of 4 qualified today on his bus. All three had the cdl beforehand and were either driving trucks or school buses. He said that in his class during orientation one other person wanted to go to Staten Island and he was sitting right next to him lol. He also said there were a few unhappy faces today of course getting off the training buses but also quiet a few happy ones as well. Didn't get an overall count.

Oh, and he said there were four rows in the orientation class, he was the third row. So if his number was 3800, maybe they went up to 4000? The list numbers in his training bus were in the 3700's.

not sure about a new class coming in I will ask him to find out if he hears anything!

Haha, yea I will. 3 out of 4 qualified today on his bus. All three had the cdl beforehand and were either driving trucks or school buses. He said that in his class during orientation one other person wanted to go to Staten Island and he was sitting right next to him lol. He also said there were a few unhappy faces today of course getting off the training buses but also quiet a few happy ones as well. Didn't get an overall count.

Oh, and he said there were four rows in the orientation class, he was the third row. So if his number was 3800, maybe they went up to 4000? The list numbers in his training bus were in the 3700's.

not sure about a new class coming in I will ask him to find out if he hears anything!

the rows in the class were alphabetical, not by numbers

they always try to sit you alphabeticaly, this way they have the folders going in and out the right way

Plus there is no need to "work" on other people to talk down Staten Island, the choice of the depos already done on day 1

If he chose SI he will be taken to the room of all SI people, if he chose Queens he will go to Queens room to pick, the rest will stay in one room and pick

the rows in the class were alphabetical, not by numbers

they always try to sit you alphabeticaly, this way they have the folders going in and out the right way

Plus there is no need to "work" on other people to talk down Staten Island, the choice of the depos already done on day 1

If he chose SI he will be taken to the room of all SI people, if he chose Queens he will go to Queens room to pick, the rest will stay in one room and pick

That sounds great...I am hoping he gets on Si, besides who else wants to pay that toll, if they dont live in SI? When do they tell you which depot you are going to...after day 10?

That sounds great...I am hoping he gets on Si, besides who else wants to pay that toll, if they dont live in SI? When do they tell you which depot you are going to...after day 10?

I thought they bring all of the (atu) people into 1 room, granted those who live in Queens will want to stay in Queens, however what happens when all of the Queens depot picks run out? they are sent to S.I. then.

How far apart are the 2 S.I. depots from each other? There is somebody who graduated last year working out of S.I that lives in south Brooklyn. Also if there are any students who live in Jersey, they are most likely going to want to go to S.I.

Yeah, sometime next week you will pick depots.

I thought they bring all of the (atu) people into 1 room, granted those who live in Queens will want to stay in Queens, however what happens when all of the Queens depot picks run out? they are sent to S.I. then.

How far apart are the 2 S.I. depots from each other? There is somebody who graduated last year working out of S.I that lives in south Brooklyn. Also if there are any students who live in Jersey, they are most likely going to want to go to S.I.

Yeah, sometime next week you will pick depots.

Everyone that wants Manhattan or Brooklyn are taken out first then those who want Queens or SI according to seniority pick if you cant get in Queens or SI according to seniority you will go to Brooklyn or Manhattan till you can transfer out

Everyone that wants Manhattan or Brooklyn are taken out first then those who want Queens or SI according to seniority pick if you cant get in Queens or SI according to seniority you will go to Brooklyn or Manhattan till you can transfer out

Ok, I see, seniority comes into play already. What do they call that? the general or system pick? Is that in January?

aha loll gud trainingg . i saw 2 ppl last wk @ ulmer park trainingg lma0 . orion hybrid nxt gen V|| r gud

aha loll gud trainingg . i saw 2 ppl last wk @ ulmer park trainingg lma0 . orion hybrid nxt gen V|| r gud

Who are you? This isn't some ###### AOL chat room. Now be a good boy and go back to your video games. :tup: