5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

Olegkha

Hello, This Site is awesome! Thanks to all for all the wonderful information. My husband will be going in for his B/O Medical Exam on Tueday 12/8 and was told if everything goes well will start on 12/20. This forum has been so helpful!

Welcome aboard. We would like to know(1)what is your husbands list number? (2)how big is the class going to be that starts on Dec 21st. Keep us posted. Thanks

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just as a continuation to day by day work at MTA i thought i would write this.

Its almost 6 month that i am at MTA.

Today i did not get a chance to pick any runs in Ulmer park, because by the time i get to pick UP is closed, so i had a choice between Flatbush and Gleason. I listened to my union rep and chose Gleason.

The pick is according to the Peg ( seniority number )

At Gleason I had a choice between couple of late runs and Extra list as well as Vocation relif list. I chose Vocation relif list.

I am number 11 from the bottom of that list ( out of 40 people ), so i will have one out of 11 runs to chose from every 4 weeks. It aint that bad i guess.

Now comes the fun time to learn all new lines, and at gleason there are alot of them.

Jan 3,2010 is when this pick starts.

One more thing. Carefull with hitting breaks while driving. If some one says they hurt them self ( no matter if they did or not ) you will get suspended until you get all your medical stuff done ( and if that happens right near the holidays, when medical is closed, the suspension will last for 6 working days ) Dont ask how i know that, or any other details. Just trust me on this ;( suspencion in this case means 8 hours siting in the depot doing nothing, moving papers around, or watching TV but not driving. I never thought that is so difficult and boring.

Another thing i just noticed, there are no RTS buses in Gleason. so thats another thing i will have to get used to.

I was talking to my friend who is in UP for 14 years.....WOW I am sooooo glad I went to Queens!!!!

Hello, This Site is awesome! Thanks to all for all the wonderful information. My husband will be going in for his B/O Medical Exam on Tueday 12/8 and was told if everything goes well will start on 12/20. This forum has been so helpful!

You better make sure he has everything in order...as of Jan 1 2010 anyone hired is Tier 5

but you are stuck in one depot, no matter if you like it or not

atleast we have a chose in a year or two to chose any depot we want :)

Yeah that's true

Im not from Queens Division if I were i'd love it because people out there are civil they do line up which is rear in certain parts of Brooklyn, The Bronx, and some parts of Manhattn

Yeah and you also have people ahead of you that will bump you out....there isnt a bad thing at CS.

To each its own, right ?

I looked very closely at this pick , just gathering the information, and i see that people who were hired just before the freeze were able to chose ANY depot that they want. That means that in the next pick i will have a good chance to pick into any depot i want, and if not next pick then the one after i will have 100 % chance to pick any depot. ( the only depot that was closed by the time i was picking was Ulmer park rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. i was too late by 1 or two spots )

Picking a run in a depot is another story :)

To each its own, right ?

I looked very closely at this pick , just gathering the information, and i see that people who were hired just before the freeze were able to chose ANY depot that they want. That means that in the next pick i will have a good chance to pick into any depot i want, and if not next pick then the one after i will have 100 % chance to pick any depot. ( the only depot that was closed by the time i was picking was Ulmer park rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. i was too late by 1 or two spots )

Picking a run in a depot is another story :)

Yup and youll be the bottom of the barrel at your depot which means you get the crap no one else wanted.

Did they get to pick in the general pick or just out of the classroom?

Yup and youll be the bottom of the barrel at your depot which means you get the crap no one else wanted.

For the TWU depots, only the #1 person picks, and everyone else gets the crap that person don't want. Queens, #1 in there depot picks, everyone else gets the crap..........

Did they get to pick in the general pick or just out of the classroom?

hmm, not true.

we pick according to the seniority, so i will not be at the bottom. 99 % of the people who were hired this year are under me :)

FIRST OF ALL OLEG.......DONT STRESS THE PICK OR SENIORITY ISSUES RIGHT NOW CAUSE YOU HAVE NONE.......I GOT ALMOST 4 YEARS AND IT DOES GET BETTER BUT NOT BY MUCH......YOU GOT SENIORITY IN EVERY BORO........EVERY BORO......THESE GUYS DONT MOVE AS FAST AS WE WOULD LIKE......REMEMBER YOU WAS MY STUDENT HA HA HA.......GLEASON IS KOOL...ALOT OF LINES...ALOT OF WORK.......

FIRST OF ALL OLEG.......DONT STRESS THE PICK OR SENIORITY ISSUES RIGHT NOW CAUSE YOU HAVE NONE.......I GOT ALMOST 4 YEARS AND IT DOES GET BETTER BUT NOT BY MUCH......YOU GOT SENIORITY IN EVERY BORO........EVERY BORO......THESE GUYS DONT MOVE AS FAST AS WE WOULD LIKE......REMEMBER YOU WAS MY STUDENT HA HA HA.......GLEASON IS KOOL...ALOT OF LINES...ALOT OF WORK.......

neh, its cool, i dont care about that right now :)

( who are you ? )

hmm 4 years on a job ? were you 100 on a 6 last night (monday)?

IM NEVER 100/6 UNLESS ITS AN RDO........WHEN I SEE YOU I'LL HOLLA.....:P
Is 100/B6 the Boat meaning is that the last Bus pulling into the Depot before the shifters can go home

example: 39/M10 pulls in at 3:14AM last Bus to pull into the Depot before everyone can go home I was called by the Dispatcher doing that Run & Route he asked me what time was I pulling in Manhattanville is something else they would have a Dispatcher hiding near the stanchions where you make the right onto 12th avenue to make a note of you pulling in early

• 2 weeks later...
1 because Queens is ATU not TWU and is not affected by anthing that TWU does and once you are in Queens you don't have to worry about being booted out of the depot because of a consolidated/crossover pick

I'm in ATU in Minnesota and it ain't all that great. 3 years to get 3.5% pay increase, no cost of living increase, constant LOA instead of collective bargaining. It's the union game. Conversely, we make a pretty good buck and with 6 years seniority, I do ok.

Archived