5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

Olegkha

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The depot that i am going to is Ulmer park ( at least my line training will be there )

There was only one choice for me, 1 spot in Ulmer park, 0 spots in Flatbush, the next one closest was Grand Ave ( far )

They took away SI people and QU people to different rooms

I was 5th to chose out of Br, Bx, NYC crowd ( about 23 people in the room left ) there was only one slot open in Ulmer and i took it, the rest went to Bronx, and only couple to 100 street , and couple to Grand Ave.

They dont have all of the depots available, approx it looked like this

100 street (3) spots

ulmer (1) spot

grand ave (4) spots

Gun hill (7)

kingsbridge (9)

and you have only seconds to chose, because the whole class is waiting on you, so you better have all depots in your head, so you know which one is where ( there is a map just outside of the class that has all of them listed )

Another thing, THINK HARD where you want to work BEFORE day 1, here is why :

They will give you papers to fill out " preferred borough ". If you will chose QUEENS you will get into that depot, at the pick time, and you will NEVER be able to move to a different depot( there are 3 depots in queens to chose from).

If you chose SI, you will chose a depot in SI and when the time comes to pick again you will only move to SI depot ( there are 2 now, but one more should be open in just a bit )

If you chose Brooklyn , you will be able to move around in Brooklyn, Bronx, and 124st in Manhattan

Today was interesting, alot of different information, plus pick, plus paychec

Tomorrow AM heading to depot for line training.

The depot that i am going to is Ulmer park ( at least my line training will be there )

There was only one choice for me, 1 spot in Ulmer park, 0 spots in Flatbush, the next one closest was Grand Ave ( far )

They took away SI people and QU people to different rooms

I was 5th to chose out of Br, Bx, NYC crowd ( about 23 people in the room left ) there was only one slot open in Ulmer and i took it, the rest went to Bronx, and only couple to 100 street , and couple to Grand Ave.

They dont have all of the depots available, approx it looked like this

100 street (3) spots

ulmer (1) spot

grand ave (4) spots

Gun hill (7)

kingsbridge (9)

and you have only seconds to chose, because the whole class is waiting on you, so you better have all depots in your head, so you know which one is where ( there is a map just outside of the class that has all of them listed )

Another thing, THINK HARD where you want to work BEFORE day 1, here is why :

They will give you papers to fill out " preferred borough ". If you will chose QUEENS you will get into that depot, at the pick time, and you will NEVER be able to move to a different depot( there are 3 depots in queens to chose from).

If you chose SI, you will chose a depot in SI and when the time comes to pick again you will only move to SI depot ( there are 2 now, but one more should be open in just a bit )

If you chose Brooklyn , you will be able to move around in Brooklyn, Bronx, and 124st in Manhattan

Today was interesting, alot of different information, plus pick, plus paychec

Tomorrow AM heading to depot for line training.

Congrat! i guess ulmer park is closest to you! The union over there is very good compare to others that i dealt with. They will give you a 'route hand book' that details every route, turn by turn. so you don't really need to write them down.

a bit of bad news for you tho, enjoy while you can stay there, because even you can stay in UP after line training. when the system pick come in november, you will work in either manhattan or bronx jan 2010. i can see that the closest depot for you to pick is 100st in manhattan. you might have a chance to work in brooklyn in 2011, simply because brooklyn is so popular for some reason....

Thanks !

"route hand book" That's a great idea !!!!!!!

I will chose grand ave if possible if i will be forced out of Ulmer park, and flatbush, and 4 ave and 36 street ( forgot the name )

I dont realy care for working in Manhattan

Also, I am glad i am starting out in a community where i grew up, and i know most of the streets, ones i get some experience i can jump into deep part of the pool

Congrat! i guess ulmer park is closest to you! The union over there is very good compare to others that i dealt with. They will give you a 'route hand book' that details every route, turn by turn. so you don't really need to write them down.

a bit of bad news for you tho, enjoy while you can stay there, because even you can stay in UP after line training. when the system pick come in november, you will work in either manhattan or bronx jan 2010. i can see that the closest depot for you to pick is 100st in manhattan. you might have a chance to work in brooklyn in 2011, simply because brooklyn is so popular for some reason....

I would of selected Grand Ave out of the other depots. The depot in my area is East NY since I live in Queens, but all the best to you!!!:P

So I am seeing the training bus around alot more now....I have been hearing about 40 new guys to my depot....but I keep telling they guys....they just bring they guys around to show the depot.....does not mean we are getting 40 new guys.....I only hear about 8 will retire....

So I am seeing the training bus around alot more now....I have been hearing about 40 new guys to my depot....but I keep telling they guys....they just bring they guys around to show the depot.....does not mean we are getting 40 new guys.....I only hear about 8 will retire....
I went to a depot today during my training...the people I met were real nice and supportive and gave us alot of tips. We got to see the new MCI buses....I think I fell in love. Only reason why we went to that depot was because the HR lady said we all are being assigned to that depot since we are MTA bus.

1daysoon where did you go ?

today was the first day of line training for me, well we never got to the bus, we just sat around and talked to big boss, and union person.

Union gave me map of all bus routes going out of the depot, and all turns associated with the routes. Their map copy is some what over used, hard to read, so i spent about 2 hours after work, and http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/bklnsch.htm and now i have some what good directions as well as excellent map ( too bad i dont have a color printer at home, or it would be even better ;)

( if any one needs that for Ulmer park depot in the future, let me know )

For tommorow i already have a paddle report with bus route and times. Will see how my instructor wll handle me ;)

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

becareful on line training. Drive as less as possible. If u get into an accident during line training. Even some one hits u and u fully stop. They will send u right back to zerega. And u have to do the day 9 road test again. Day 10 if fail. Good luck.

today was the first day of line training for me, well we never got to the bus, we just sat around and talked to big boss, and union person.

Union gave me map of all bus routes going out of the depot, and all turns associated with the routes. Their map copy is some what over used, hard to read, so i spent about 2 hours after work, and http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/bklnsch.htm and now i have some what good directions as well as excellent map ( too bad i dont have a color printer at home, or it would be even better ;)

For tommorow i already have a paddle report with bus route and times. Will see how my instructor wll handle me ;)

Union gave me map of all bus routes going out of the depot, and all turns associated with the routes. Their map copy is some what over used, hard to read, so i spent about 2 hours after work, and http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/bklnsch.htm and now i have some what good directions as well as excellent map ( too bad i dont have a color printer at home, or it would be even better :D

For tommorow i already have a paddle report with bus route and times. Will see how my instructor wll handle me B)

We went to Spring Creek depot...

First day line training went ok , not too many people screamed at me for being late :(

Did b6 couple of times, 15 minutes late on one run, 5 minutes on the other run, not too bad ! ;)

If you are late,you are late,no problem. Main thing is getting your passengers safely from point A to point B.

"Running hot"...which means ahead of schedule is something that you will get written up for.

When you were on the training bus along with the other 3 students,who drove first? did it go by list number? flip a coin?

Yep, i am sure i will be running late alot right now, I see how my instructor drove on the last leg of the day, trying to catch up, and he did make up 7 minutes to get us back to depot right on time, I am very far from handling a bus like that at those speeds.

(One dispatcher turned us short today that saved me about 4-5 minutes, because of how late we were, what he did is basically sad make a turn here and that skipped a magor bus stop.

This will cut off 3 blocks from the trip and one huge bus stop with tons of people from train boarding a bus. )

We actually seen a bus today with 4 students in it in training. Who drives first ? dont matter, you all get to drive aprox the same time.1.5 hours a day. Instructor picks who drives when.

Yep, i am sure i will be running late alot right now, I see how my instructor drove on the last leg of the day, trying to catch up, and he did make up 7 minutes to get us back to depot right on time, I am very far from handling a bus like that at those speeds.

(One dispatcher turned us short today that saved me about 4-5 minutes, because of how late we were, what he did is basically sad make a turn here and that skipped a magor bus stop.

This will cut off 3 blocks from the trip and one huge bus stop with tons of people from train boarding a bus. )

We actually seen a bus today with 4 students in it in training. Who drives first ? dont matter, you all get to drive aprox the same time.1.5 hours a day. Instructor picks who drives when.

Ah,I see now how it works. As for being late,that is to be expected. How many dispatchers did you run into? One at each end point of the line? I am assuming that you were doing a local and not an express route.

Speaking of dispatchers,the next promotional exam should be in less than 3 yrs. May/08 was the last exam.

You need to have 3 yrs as a B/O minimum. 85% is determined by your score on the exam,your seniority will determine the remaining 15%. A lot more responsibility,40 hr work weeks,starting pay is $59k yr. Start studying for it if you are interested.

Ah,I see now how it works. As for being late,that is to be expected. How many dispatchers did you run into? One at each end point of the line? I am assuming that you were doing a local and not an express route.

Speaking of dispatchers,the next promotional exam should be in less than 3 yrs. May/08 was the last exam.

You need to have 3 yrs as a B/O minimum. 85% is determined by your score on the exam,your seniority will determine the remaining 15%. A lot more responsibility,40 hr work weeks,starting pay is $59k yr. Start studying for it if you are interested.

In my personal experience riding the B6 I have never seen a Dispatcher at East New York New Lots Station i know there is one at Rockaway Parkway Station, Flatlands & Ralph (for the school trips) Flatbush Junction, and near Ulmer Park correct me if im wrong

We usually rotate, Since we are in manhatten and do most of our training in the Bronx He let one of us pull out from the depot and take us to our training area and one person makes the ride home. And the the other 2 usually get some distance driving when we go to our lunch location.

In my personal experience riding the B6 I have never seen a Dispatcher at East New York New Lots Station i know there is one at Rockaway Parkway Station, Flatlands & Ralph (for the school trips) Flatbush Junction, and near Ulmer Park correct me if im wrong

1 at ulmer park, 1 at 60st or CIA(he hides), junction, then rockaway station

There was one right at the NY new lots station , one at rockaway parkway station ( the one who turned me short ) one at flatlands, and one at ulmer park, and one at flatbush

Aha, so not all dispatchers are visible outside on the streets. I see them inside their cars sometimes(white chevy lumina with the mta logo on the side). I have seen white suv's with the mta logo on the side,which also says "road ops",I figure those are the technicians going out on road service calls.

Is it true that when working nights, there are less supervisors to deal with since most are home from working during the day?

I know there is a surface dispatcher from mta bus who used to post on this forum. He works out of the College Point depot.

I wonder how those students who picked into ATU depots made out. 5 depots to choose from,btwn 17-27 students. Kingsbridge had the most open slots open, no surprise there,lol.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

When we went into the other room we picked just like the others. I picked 4th overall. 5 to Stengal 10 to Qv and 1 to jam. Some were jus sent to qv.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

When we went into the other room we picked just like the others. I picked 4th overall. 5 to Stengal 10 to Qv and 1 to jam. Some were jus sent to qv.

4th pick overall, that is a great position to be in. So much for that rumor that Casey Stengel has a high turnover rate due to firings,especially while on probation.

Casey Stengel only has 2 or 3 express routes. They call it the country club. Thanks for letting us know the breakdown of the Queens depot picks.

Archived