5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

Olegkha

4th pick overall, that is a great position to be in. So much for that rumor that Casey Stengel has a high turnover rate due to firings,especially while on probation.

Casey Stengel only has 2 or 3 express routes. They call it the country club. Thanks for letting us know the breakdown of the Queens depot picks.

If anyone want to know anything about CS just ask me

We have 1 express route thats it.

There is no high turnover rate there

When you see a SUV that says road ops its usually a Supt not a mechanic

they are in road trucks

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anyone want to know anything about CS just ask me

We have 1 express route thats it.

There is no high turnover rate there

When you see a SUV that says road ops its usually a Supt not a mechanic

they are in road trucks

Thanks Flash. I think I know now what the road trucks look like, heavy duty tow trucks. Those guys that I saw driving those road ops suv's were wearing collared shirts,so that would rule them out as being grease monkeys,lol.

I thought they had X32(school tripper)and X51. I am on the 8006 list, still a ways to go before they start that list. CS is my first choice if it is available of course when the time comes.

About working on Sundays,what is the latest that you can start your shift? I know weekends are mandatory, ex 1730hrs-0100hrs. Less buses out there on Sundays.

What CS routes if any run 24/7?

Thanks Flash. I think I know now what the road trucks look like, heavy duty tow trucks. Those guys that I saw driving those road ops suv's were wearing collared shirts,so that would rule them out as being grease monkeys,lol.

I thought they had X32(school tripper)and X51. I am on the 8006 list, still a ways to go before they start that list. CS is my first choice if it is available of course when the time comes.

About working on Sundays,what is the latest that you can start your shift? I know weekends are mandatory, ex 1730hrs-0100hrs. Less buses out there on Sundays.

What CS routes if any run 24/7?

x32 really doesnt count it just to satisfy the BHOS kids.

Weekends are not mandatory.... but it will take you time to get them off with a picked run unless you roll the dice and try the extra list.

There are runs that start in the late afternoons you can get if you like those hours

Our only hawks are the 12 28 and 44.

Both the 12 and 28 have 1 bus out there after 1am and about 4-6 44's run at night

We usually rotate, Since we are in manhatten and do most of our training in the Bronx He let one of us pull out from the depot and take us to our training area and one person makes the ride home. And the the other 2 usually get some distance driving when we go to our lunch location.

How's the training going?

x32 really doesnt count it just to satisfy the BHOS kids.

Weekends are not mandatory.... but it will take you time to get them off with a picked run unless you roll the dice and try the extra list.

There are runs that start in the late afternoons you can get if you like those hours

Our only hawks are the 12 28 and 44.

Both the 12 and 28 have 1 bus out there after 1am and about 4-6 44's run at night

Cool,I thought all the new B/O's get put on the extra list. Did you get to pick your own run when you first started?

Runs average 40-48hrs a week at CS right? Does CS have their own website? I don't know how much time you have on the job but you seem to know a lot,they call it the country club,but there isn't anything country club like about the main hubs(Main St and Jamaica/Archer Ave.). That must apply to the neighborhoods that the routes run through.

How's the training going?

THe last few days of training have been difficult. Today was our Day 7 and only 1 person from my group got pushed through. The rest of us has to go for Day 8 and 9 training. I finished the roadtest but hit the curb on my last left turn that only a pro would no how to handle. Its all good though Im not giving up and will tell you how things go Friday.

THe last few days of training have been difficult. Today was our Day 7 and only 1 person from my group got pushed through. The rest of us has to go for Day 8 and 9 training. I finished the roadtest but hit the curb on my last left turn that only a pro would no how to handle. Its all good though Im not giving up and will tell you how things go Friday.

make sure your left back wheels will clear before you turn the steering wheel, that's it

1daysoon

where did you hit it ?

around down town Manhattan, making that double right turn ?

how did you do on 14 and park ?

I am in line training , every day different line , people are crazy on the bus, and now i know that lots of people dont pay !

You will make it, all of the pro bus operators started out just like you. They got that way through experience, which you only have had just a few days. YOU CAN DO THIS!:tup:

1daysoon

where did you hit it ?

I am in line training , every day different line , people are crazy on the bus, and now i know that lots of people dont pay !

That is Brooklyn for you, heard on my scanner that a bus operator was assaulted this afternoon on Remsen Ave in East New York. I was reading the MTA rulebook online and it says that you have to use self control no matter what the situation is. You are basically picking up people off the street, they could have any kind of weapons on them, it doesn't take much to set some people off.

Whether or not they pay the fare your paycheck is the same, DOB2RTO said it best when he said that you just ignore all of the nonsense going around you, that is the way to survive.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

1daysoon

where did you hit it ?

i hit the curb by the throgs neck service road on the bx8 route..its sort of loke the two right turns uptown but on the left side i clipped the island. my instructor was cool and and a lil disappointed. he told me how to correct the problem.thanks for all of the incouragement.now i have to go to another depot with a new instructor. every one that passed is driving hybrids today at zereaga.

Man, it was your last turn towards the end of the road test. If I was the trainer I would have given you another shot, would have told you, look, if you can make that same turn 2 times in a row you pass. I guess he has to play it by the book.

there's no way the instructor given him 2nd chance. even just hit the curb by an inch, you are done. and if any car passes you on your right side, you are done too, since you didn't protect your right side.

there's no way the instructor given him 2nd chance. even just hit the curb by an inch, you are done. and if any car passes you on your right side, you are done too, since you didn't protect your right side.

3 1/2-4 ft of room between the bus and your right side at all times. A car passing you on your right would mean you left too wide of a gap. Do you mean on right hand turns? to not let a car pass you on your right.

3 1/2-4 ft of room between the bus and your right side at all times. A car passing you on your right would mean you left too wide of a gap. Do you mean on right hand turns? to not let a car pass you on your right.

Cars are not supposed to pass on the right at all, especially with a bus either going straight or turning.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

When we went into the other room we picked just like the others. I picked 4th overall. 5 to Stengal 10 to Qv and 1 to jam. Some were jus sent to qv.

Did you pick CS rob?

Those road ops SUV's are usually road superintendents. They are there to watch you, and watch the dispatchers. They are both of your supervisors. Then of course you have the superintendents in the depots, who are supervisors of drivers, and dispatchers there too......

At night, you will have maybe one road car, for an entire Borough. If it gets bad enough, they will call road superintendents to help out, such as when it snows overnight. Superintendents are on call 24/7.........

Today I did see some line training with KB 5261, going down Westchester Ave/Parkchester............

Yeah, I saw two of them stopped at a red light on 65th place and Queens Blvd, probably heading to Grand Ave depot. Only 1 road car for the entire borough at night? Even in Manhattan which has the most 24/7 routes? Hawk runs must be super senior ones in any depot.

Yeah, I saw two of them stopped at a red light on 65th place and Queens Blvd, probably heading to Grand Ave depot. Only 1 road car for the entire borough at night? Even in Manhattan which has the most 24/7 routes? Hawk runs must be super senior ones in any depot.

They are. When I hawked on the Bx19 (Sun, Mon, Thur, Fri) and Bx21 (Sat), 1 car would be at the Hub at times, checking out the Bx15, Bx41, Bx21, and Bx19. Of course sometimes they had to go to Fordham to check on the Bx12, Bx9, and Bx41.........

As for cars passing one on the right side, if you are making a left turn, then they will pass you on the right. They don't want you to let them squeeze through on the right, going straight or making right turns. They do teach the hook right turn, which opens up the right alot, but you just use more caution, cause some will make it by in reality, if you do a hook turn to slow........

If I hear of any of you failing, I will personally contact Harry, get your addresses, come over and break your legs, so you won't have to worry about driving a bus, or walking for that matter (just kidding or maybe not). It's a big vehicle, but patience is all that is needed, along with taking your time. When turning right, you can straighten the bus up a little, then turn again, if you see you are getting to close to the curb. Sad thing is RTS's have crappy right mirrors, and you truly have to get a feel for those buses, and where your rear wheels are when turning.........

What happened? Did you pass or fail?

Today was the following day of line training , driving around 50-90 % of the day ( today was the first day when i drove 100 % ) I guess it depends on the instructor.

Tomorrow I was told to head to zerega, for graduation

Today was the following day of line training , driving around 50-90 % of the day ( today was the first day when i drove 100 % ) I guess it depends on the instructor.

Hi Olegkha, just wondering, does the Mayor have to swear the graduates in? If you get back to the depot say 1 hr late they don't pay you o/t for that right? just what the run pays I guess.

Hi Olegkha, just wondering, does the Mayor have to swear the graduates in?

The mayor has NOTHING to do with MTA employees. It is a state agency NOT a city agency. Bloomberg try's to act like he is the boss because he is a power hungry dictator who pays to have the laws changed in his favor but in reality he only gets to appoint a few members to the MTA board and that is it. All of the agency's and unions that he is actually in charge of got great contracts last year and in 2007.

? During line training are u paired with another operator or an instructor from Zarega

The mayor has NOTHING to do with MTA employees. It is a state agency NOT a city agency. Bloomberg try's to act like he is the boss because he is a power hungry dictator who pays to have the laws changed in his favor but in reality he only gets to appoint a few members to the MTA board and that is it. All of the agency's and unions that he is actually in charge of got great contracts last year and in 2007.

Thanks Jah for reminding me about that, yes Bloomberg is an egotistical tyrant. Unfortunately he is going to get reelected for a 3rd term.

Archived