5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

Olegkha

Hi Olegkha, just wondering, does the Mayor have to swear the graduates in? If you get back to the depot say 1 hr late they don't pay you o/t for that right? just what the run pays I guess.

You get sworn in at Livingston St. before you even start Orientation. Drug/Alcohol, then Medical, pass medical you get sworn in then told where and when to report to for Orientation (back at 180 Livingston St.) Graduation is B-sing around, given a pep talk, and then being called to get your certificate and badge......

BusOperatorcertificate1.jpg

As for OT, you are late, you get paid. You don't get paid based on the time you pull in. You pull in the depot and the yard dispatcher is out writing bus numbers and where they are parked, you wait, and get paid based upon the time they show back up. Now if you are in a rush, you can just go and find them, but that doesn't mean they will stop what they are doing to get you a "cut slip". Most will say "just wait for me to get back there".........

? During line training are u paired with another operator or an instructor from Zarega

An operator from the depot will do line training with you, and no not the same one everyday. You will work with an operator, who has those safety jackets, who works a particular line. Go the KB, work the Bx7, you will have an operator who has the jacket, and who works the Bx7. Next day if on the M100, you will have an operator with jacket, who works the M100, and so on and so forth........

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You get sworn in at Livingston St. before you even start Orientation. Drug/Alcohol, then Medical, pass medical you get sworn in then told where and when to report to for Orientation (back at 180 Livingston St.) Graduation is B-sing around, given a pep talk, and then being called to get your certificate and badge......

BusOperatorcertificate1.jpg

As for OT, you are late, you get paid. You don't get paid based on the time you pull in. You pull in the depot and the yard dispatcher is out writing bus numbers and where they are parked, you wait, and get paid based upon the time they show back up. Now if you are in a rush, you can just go and find them, but that doesn't mean they will stop what they are doing to get you a "cut slip". Most will say "just wait for me to get back there".........

An operator from the depot will do line training with you, and no not the same one everyday. You will work with an operator, who has those safety jackets, who works a particular line. Go the KB, work the Bx7, you will have an operator who has the jacket, and who works the Bx7. Next day if on the M100, you will have an operator with jacket, who works the M100, and so on and so forth........

Thanx DOB2RTO im already getting nervous and haven't even started training yet

Well I went to zerega today, and ... did not graduate B)

My dispatcher was wrong , today was not my aday to head up there.

My graduation is in 2 weeks

So i drove back and was put in a bus in the middle of the drivers line. This way i get paid for the whole time i was traveling from and to the bronx

In Ulmer park depot, line training means You get to drive most of the day while the driver is siting in the front seat on the right side, right by the door, and tells you right, left, kneel the bus, stop at the next stop, dont pick her up, she is a ***** B) and so on.

I had people with me who were 20 years on a job as well as one dude was 4 years on the job.

Well I went to zerega today, and ... did not graduate :(

My dispatcher was wrong , today was not my aday to head up there.

My graduation is in 2 weeks

So i drove back and was put in a bus in the middle of the drivers line. This way i get paid for the whole time i was traveling from and to the bronx

In Ulmer park depot, line training means You get to drive most of the day while the driver is siting in the front seat on the right side, right by the door, and tells you right, left, kneel the bus, stop at the next stop, dont pick her up, she is a ***** B) and so on.

I had people with me who were 20 years on a job as well as one dude was 4 years on the job.

Thank you for the insight I hope to pick into Ulmer Park

1daysoon: Even though you were on the mta bus list, you went through what we are going to have to do in the near future. You gave it your best shot man, I had a feeling that you didn't make it. Anybody who ever posted on here I care about. The ones that just lurk on here and don't post I could care less about them. You are a good guy, you will have your day, never give up on yourself, NEVER! :tup:

1daysoon: Even though you were on the mta bus list, you went through what we are going to have to do in the near future. You gave it your best shot man, I had a feeling that you didn't make it. Anybody who ever posted on here I care about. The ones that just lurk on here and don't post I could care less about them. You are a good guy, you will have your day, never give up on yourself, NEVER! :tup:

Thanks man it's cool. out of 110 only 40 made it from all three divisions. The only downside and good things is I am still on 2 more bus operator list. The only downside is I have to wait 3 years to go back through. I did good through most of the program and I dont know what happened on my qualifying days. On day 7 the first person that went made it. The second person failed within 5 minutes he had to get backedup and tried to pull out with the door open. I went next and I did good on the first half wich consisted of bus stops and wraparound bus stops. I did well on parking and straight backing. The highway is the easist part. Then he took me through the turn portion of the test. My first turn was an acute turn Wich i did well on. Then there were basic right and left turns. The last turn was a real tight turn the BX8 makes. Theres an island curb in the middle of the street and on the right side theres a fence and trees. I turned to earlier and hit the island curb. I wasnt upset because that was my fault. on day 9 and 10 we got a different instructor. He was an ******* and do not wish him on anybody. on my day 9 of testing which was in manhatten he let hs favorite go first, wich is crucial because there is no traffic. He passed, the second person that went failed. He said she had too much poor forward planning and always got stuck behind a double park car or didnt change lanes fast enough for him. The next guy hit the curb before we even left the block. I went last, did the entire course perfectly and at the end a truck cut me off and pulled into park on my left side..I stopped and squeezed around him and made my turn. He failed because he said I didnt use my horn and that was a dangerous action I was too close to the truck even though I didnt hit him or was Trollied braked. I wanted to kick his as, he said dont worry Ill pass on day 10. Day 10 was on a monday so you have to shake off 2 days of dust and bust out some tight pivot point turns. its not impossible but its difficult. Out of 5 people that took it with me on my bus none passed. I felt like a loser but maybe the train operator might be more my speed... I dont know but maybe working for MTA BUs wasnt for me. I am still on the oa and have a low list number for 8006. I dont know what advice to give to help others on going through because I swore I was a sure thing but hey.

Thanks man it's cool. out of 110 only 40 made it from all three divisions. The only downside and good things is I am still on 2 more bus operator list. The only downside is I have to wait 3 years to go back through. I did good through most of the program and I dont know what happened on my qualifying days. On day 7 the first person that went made it. The second person failed within 5 minutes he had to get backedup and tried to pull out with the door open. I went next and I did good on the first half wich consisted of bus stops and wraparound bus stops. I did well on parking and straight backing. The highway is the easist part. Then he took me through the turn portion of the test. My first turn was an acute turn Wich i did well on. Then there were basic right and left turns. The last turn was a real tight turn the BX8 makes. Theres an island curb in the middle of the street and on the right side theres a fence and trees. I turned to earlier and hit the island curb. I wasnt upset because that was my fault. on day 9 and 10 we got a different instructor. He was an ******* and do not wish him on anybody. on my day 9 of testing which was in manhatten he let hs favorite go first, wich is crucial because there is no traffic. He passed, the second person that went failed. He said she had too much poor forward planning and always got stuck behind a double park car or didnt change lanes fast enough for him. The next guy hit the curb before we even left the block. I went last, did the entire course perfectly and at the end a truck cut me off and pulled into park on my left side..I stopped and squeezed around him and made my turn. He failed because he said I didnt use my horn and that was a dangerous action I was too close to the truck even though I didnt hit him or was Trollied braked. I wanted to kick his as, he said dont worry Ill pass on day 10. Day 10 was on a monday so you have to shake off 2 days of dust and bust out some tight pivot point turns. its not impossible but its difficult. Out of 5 people that took it with me on my bus none passed. I felt like a loser but maybe the train operator might be more my speed... I dont know but maybe working for MTA BUs wasnt for me. I am still on the oa and have a low list number for 8006. I dont know what advice to give to help others on going through because I swore I was a sure thing but hey.

Thanks for letting us know how it all went down. Yeah the instructor plays a big role in all of this. But didn't you have 2 of them on day 10?

Hmm,40 out of 110, lets say 20-25 quit before they got to the qualifying part, so that would be like 1 out of every 2 fails. I can't believe all 5 failed on day 10. I would think that the student who goes last has an advantage as long as everybody drives the same route, etc.

All I have to say is I should change my name from 1daysoon to 1daycameand went. I went up to day 10 and I failed.

Are you for real man ????

SHOOT !

that aint good

did you take the next test ? i think they will start calling that list too soon

The guy failed u on day 9 and said u gonna pass on day10......but did he tell u only about 10% will pass on day 10?

Sometimes even less than that... The fact is they don't think anyone that goes to day 10 can handle the bus, unless the student prove them wrong. Even if u pass on day 10, they will make u sign a paper stating that, if u have an accident during line training, or even with ur own car. They will fire u

The guy failed u on day 9 and said u gonna pass on day10......but did he tell u only about 10% will pass on day 10?

Sometimes even less than that... The fact is they don't think anyone that goes to day 10 can handle the bus, unless the student prove them wrong. Even if u pass on day 10, they will make u sign a paper stating that, if u have an accident during line training, or even with ur own car. They will fire u

Yeah on day 10 they try to phsyc you out. Before you get on the highway they pull you over and both supers get out and discuss if you should get on the highway. also noone had an advantage because nobody finished the complete course as soon as you mess up they take over the bus. on:y reason why i am pissed because I truly passed on day 9 and everybody wit me knew i aces it. Ill swallow the loss on day 7 that was my fault but i shouldnt of have to go to day 10. I might try to get a job driving with academy so i can be used to driving a bus and maing turns but im not giving up.

Bottom line is if you cant learn in 10 days to drive the way the TA wants your a liability for 25 years.I feel for you man but anyone out here knows what they are in store for before the go into the classroom for Day 1. Its a job not a hobby like Bus Fanning. You have a lot of responsibilities once you get behind that wheel. At any given time there are 100's of scenarios developing around that bus and its a split second decision on what you have to do. Any of you kids out there on the list I suggest you go get you DL before you come on the job and get a feel for driving a bus and try not to use a school bus either because the turning ratio is totally different. You cant blame the Supt he wasn't driving you were he didn't hit curbs he didn't try to squeeze thru the truck all you had to do was say "hey I don't think I can make it" and he would have told you what to do in that case. And trust me they know by day 5 what type of driver you are going to be.

Bottom line is if you cant learn in 10 days to drive the way the TA wants your a liability for 25 years.I feel for you man but anyone out here knows what they are in store for before the go into the classroom for Day 1. Its a job not a hobby like Bus Fanning. You have a lot of responsibilities once you get behind that wheel. At any given time there are 100's of scenarios developing around that bus and its a split second decision on what you have to do. Any of you kids out there on the list I suggest you go get you DL before you come on the job and get a feel for driving a bus and try not to use a school bus either because the turning ratio is totally different. You cant blame the Supt he wasn't driving you were he didn't hit curbs he didn't try to squeeze thru the truck all you had to do was say "hey I don't think I can make it" and he would have told you what to do in that case. And trust me they know by day 5 what type of driver you are going to be.

Like I said.........I dont blame anybody for day 7 I hit the curb Ill take that on the chin like a man. On day 8 and 9 you have a totaly different supt. and he doesnt know how you drove on days 1-7. I drove fine through the whole thing and got on the highway and drove in manhatten on day 1. My judgement on turns is another thing and for me a person that never had a job driving a veheicle of that size I think I did okay. I just got my Cdl in may. I Truly believe that like with a regular car you truly dont become a great driver until you have experience on your own. I took the training serious wasnt trying to make a hobby out of this or be a bus fan, if thats the case I wouldnt have crawled out my bed a 3am for 10 days to go to quill or college point. I do believe that an hour and 15 minutes a day is not sufficient enough to weed out bad drivers vs potentially good drivers. also if i would of told him I cant go around the truck thats an automatic fail. Like I said he failed someobody else for not changing lanes and being too cautious.

Like I said.........I dont blame anybody for day 7 I hit the curb Ill take that on the chin like a man. On day 8 and 9 you have a totaly different supt. and he doesnt know how you drove on days 1-7. I drove fine through the whole thing and got on the highway and drove in manhatten on day 1. My judgement on turns is another thing and for me a person that never had a job driving a veheicle of that size I think I did okay. I just got my Cdl in may. I Truly believe that like with a regular car you truly dont become a great driver until you have experience on your own. I took the training serious wasnt trying to make a hobby out of this or be a bus fan, if thats the case I wouldnt have crawled out my bed a 3am for 10 days to go to quill or college point. I do believe that an hour and 15 minutes a day is not sufficient enough to weed out bad drivers vs potentially good drivers. also if i would of told him I cant go around the truck thats an automatic fail. Like I said he failed someobody else for not changing lanes and being too cautious.
Well I have a few people on the Job that I can talk to and get insight from I drive Access A Ride and I was told if you think you cannot fit dont do it and definitely dont let anyone direct you thorough and thank god for NYCT Paratransit Division Performance & Evaluation Classes the instructor metioned Forward Planning

Hey man! I just read what happened to you, and I had high hopes that you would do well. It’s true that you have to use your horn when there’s a hazard up a head. I learned that during my CDL lessons a year ago from my driving school instructor. At least I have a much better idea what to except when my time comes. I took exam#8006 a year ago, and took the BOSS exam last month in Brooklyn. I’ve also took the Conductor exam in December of last year, and passed it, plus the Train Operator exam last month which I didn’t due to well on… We can’t give up hope…we just gotta keep trying…. All the best to you!!!;):tup:

wow.. i was in class that started on 6/22 and i heard another class started after us.. u mean to tell me only 40 people passed!! the instructor u had... i think i may know who u were with Did his last name begin with a B? u can always try liberty lines too.

wow.. i was in class that started on 6/22 and i heard another class started after us.. u mean to tell me only 40 people passed!! the instructor u had... i think i may know who u were with Did his last name begin with a B? u can always try liberty lines too.
my first 7 I had an supt with a D. That jerk that I had on 8 and 9 begin with a G.

bronxbomber2 I started the same day as you. What depot you in ?

Who was your instructor for first 7 and then the other 2 days ?

why are you hiding his name, you are not doing anything illegal by giving out his name.

I'm so so very sorry to here that 1daysoon. You have hart. How ever I don't think you should change your name at all. Because it took a lot of hard work and patience to make to the point of training. plus you made a wise choice the way you went about this whole thing. Because u had a plan "B" for just in case "8006" & THE T/O That was good planning. looking ahead. Thats what it takes to be a success at any thing you do in life. Until you get on board with MTA. There will continue from this day to be 1 less of the best B/O's out there on the road. Thank you for being honest. about what things u did wrong. that takes a lot of gutts. Even though alot of the instructors do make it hard to pass the training. You could have just blamed it on them. and we would have taken your word for it. You must be COOL PEP'S to do that. With that being said. Rightfully your name is 1daysoon / the best of the best. I'm sure all would agree you'll make it. " Thumbs" up to u all the way.

I'm so so very sorry to here that 1daysoon. You have hart. How ever I don't think you should change your name at all. Because it took a lot of hard work and patience to make to the point of training. plus you made a wise choice the way you went about this whole thing. Because u had a plan "B" for just in case "8006" & THE T/O That was good planning. looking ahead. Thats what it takes to be a success at any thing you do in life. Until you get on board with MTA. There will continue from this day to be 1 less of the best B/O's out there on the road. Thank you for being honest. about what things u did wrong. that takes a lot of gutts. Even though alot of the instructors do make it hard to pass the training. You could have just blamed it on them. and we would have taken your word for it. You must be COOL PEP'S to do that. With that being said. Rightfully your name is 1daysoon / the best of the best. I'm sure all would agree you'll make it. " Thumbs" up to u all the way.

I'll be honest if he was 1 of the best he would be a B/O.

O feel for him but your blowing smoke up his arse!

Please use your spell check also

Thanks lovelyday.

Thanks lovelyday.

I know how u feel i`m not the best best driver all i can say i`m a good driver but to get my regular lincese for a car it took me 4 trys to do it 4th try it happened now i`m trying to get my cdl beleve me it`s hard for me to but i try not to stress my salf with it i`m sure you took more then 1 test as a back up incase if that 1 don`t fall through but for me i took 8006 exam list# 3514 2901 mabstoa # 1894 and the train conductor 8094 list # unknown or pending those are the 3 i took in case if 1 of those don`t fall through but don`t give up just always take sumthing else as a back up incase if that don`t fall u through so u can lay back on those if they go through. so what other test ur waiting on to call you.

I know how u feel i`m not the best best driver all i can say i`m a good driver but to get my regular lincese for a car it took me 4 trys to do it 4th try it happened now i`m trying to get my cdl beleve me it`s hard for me to but i try not to stress my salf with it i`m sure you took more then 1 test as a back up incase if that 1 don`t fall through but for me i took 8006 exam list# 3514 2901 mabstoa # 1894 and the train conductor 8094 list # unknown or pending those are the 3 i took in case if 1 of those don`t fall through but don`t give up just always take sumthing else as a back up incase if that don`t fall u through so u can lay back on those if they go through. so what other test ur waiting on to call you.
Yeah I did....my list number on 8006 is 264, 2801 is 6618 and the Train operator is still pending. I am also on the sanitation list.

Archived