5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

Olegkha

Thats right,Press that F3 button on the fare box (Flagged Bus Stop) enter in your sign key pad code 11 which will put up NEXT BUS PLEASE and keep it moving. I would bet money that driver was laughing the whole time you took that beating, But to be fare he might have been running to his paddle.

he def played game with olegkha. when doing express runs from ulmer park, once pass 23rd st/boardway stop, we don't need to look at the paddle anymore. no dispatcher will check you after 23rd. i remember we P/I half hour early all the time, because no one will check MCI in brooklyn.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of them do, some don't, the bus i had yesterday on highway went 50-55 easy, i did not push it any higher, so i don't know if it had a governor.

No , it is not safe to assume that, Usually every one pulls in right on time, or with in couple of minutes of their time, but while in training and on probation no one will expect you to adhere to the schedule ( except late pull out... that's the only thing you will get in trouble for )

I do get passed by followers a lot of times, and that helps to drive down the street with out stopping, to try to get back on schedule. BUT some times ( like yesterday ) you get a dumb ass follower who will stay behind and not pass, not help out. and would only pass 1 stop before the last stop.

I had people all the way to the white line, he had 5 - 6 people in the bus. I don't understand why there are drivers that play that stupid ass game. (He literally stopped at every stop behind me while none was there, he would catch all lights, just to make sure he would not pass me until the last stop in down town , right before the tunnel.)

I am sure i will never play a game like that on any one in my future

After Line training there will be 10.5 month of probation not 10 like you sad ( every day counts ;) ) by the winter time i will have 6 month or so experience, so it will be just a bit easier for me to survive winter, plus the same rules will still be in effect " DRIVE SAFE " so driving slow is OK

it's just the beginning :D there are tons of B/O like to play game. especially when they know you are new.

i have someone played games with me every time on last pick. she was my leader every sat. guess what, she hided somewhere so i picked up everyone. by the time i got to the last stop, she passed me with an empty bus with lights out and 'not in service' :confused:

We did x27

I did not know if the bus behind us was 27 too, because it was always a block or two back, only at the end he came up close.

Its cool any way i guess, because i got the overtime slip, and that bus came in right on time into depot. So i guess i was on top ;)

So i am not sure who was laughing last, he made his run money, and i made my run money plus over time :D

Don't worry about the Tunnel The Access A Ride is wide but not as wide as the MCI the trick is to look staright AHEAD DO NOT ATTEMPT to look in the MIRRORS i'll admit sometimes i do to make sure im not close to the wall but you will know when u are too close because u will hear your tires rubbing against that little flap that sticks out before your mirror hits the wall

MCI is about a 1 1/2 ft taller then the other buses, 45 ft in length, are you worried about breaking the right side mirror inside the tunnel? :D

Vertical clearance of the tunnel is 12ft,1 in, MCI is 11ft.5 in,:eek:. The length is about 1.7 miles, the longest continuous vehicular underwater tunnel in North America.

It's a friday in the middle of summer so traffic should be light, you will be all right.:tup:

Lightweights......I took a 11'11 45ft Van-Hool through there many times at 50+mph. At the beginning I would lower the bus, and take it slow, constantly looking up, until I seen Academy take a 12'4" Prevost through there. Then I said, if they can fit so can I.........

I thought the top speed was 45mph set by the speed governors, maybe the MCI's are set a bit higher?

I think they are set at about 60mph, due to them needing the New Jersey Turnpike, for some routes, and deadheads.........

it's just the beginning ;) there are tons of B/O like to play game. especially when they know you are new.

i have someone played games with me every time on last pick. she was my leader every sat. guess what, she hided somewhere so i picked up everyone. by the time i got to the last stop, she passed me with an empty bus with lights out and 'not in service' :confused:

Some leave directly behind you, well ahead of their own schedule, cause they know you will be late and might get to the end, on the same time they as your follower suppose to get to the end. I had one female that use to always do that, on the Bx36, until I got to know the route. She had to sit so long, cause I was on schedule, and a dispatcher was right where I was. After that day, she never did it again.......

All it takes is getting to know the route, and if you ever can, as newbies, pick a steady route, so you get to know the route, the lights, the traffic cameras, the passengers, etc....... I got to pick a run in KB in 1 month. Started in March of 2006, and picked a run for April of 2006...........

Some of them do, some don't, the bus i had yesterday on highway went 50-55 easy, i did not push it any higher, so i don't know if it had a governor.

No , it is not safe to assume that, Usually every one pulls in right on time, or with in couple of minutes of their time, but while in training and on probation no one will expect you to adhere to the schedule ( except late pull out... that's the only thing you will get in trouble for )

I do get passed by followers a lot of times, and that helps to drive down the street with out stopping, to try to get back on schedule. BUT some times ( like yesterday ) you get a dumb ass follower who will stay behind and not pass, not help out. and would only pass 1 stop before the last stop.

I had people all the way to the white line, he had 5 - 6 people in the bus. I don't understand why there are drivers that play that stupid ass game. (He literally stopped at every stop behind me while none was there, he would catch all lights, just to make sure he would not pass me until the last stop in down town , right before the tunnel.)

Why do you even let them stand on a MCI?

Its your accident if they fall

No grab rails NO STANDING thats for your own safety!

[quote=FlushingFlash;

Why do you even let them stand on a MCI?

Its your accident if they fall

No grab rails NO STANDING thats for your own safety!

HUH ?

are you sure about that

There are handles there, I had full bus standing today also

I was only couple of minutes late :(

You can have people standing there no problem

HUH ?

are you sure about that

There are handles there, I had full bus standing today also

I was only couple of minutes late :)

You can have people standing there no problem

hey Olegkha, did u make it to zerega today for graduation? i was surprised they did it on a Wed. I went back to the depot after and was told until september my days off will be tues and wed. and im on my own now. the crazy thing is i still have two lines to learn in the depot.,

hey Olegkha, did u make it to zerega today for graduation? i was surprised they did it on a Wed. I went back to the depot after and was told until september my days off will be tues and wed. and im on my own now. the crazy thing is i still have two lines to learn in the depot.,
Congradulations to you 2 im on day 2 was up in Harlem today with tha crazy's walking in the middle of the street getting the turns down packed clearing the curb I have a great Instructor as well

Yep i was there today. (rm 209)

dono my days off yet, will find out tomorrow, and my first solo run is tomorrow evening

Congratulations to the both of you. Now things will be different on your own. No longer you and the other operator vs. them. Now you fly solo, and rarely will TA have your back. Be careful, be safe, point A to point B safely, is all you need to worry about. Honestly though, once probation is over, that is when most start speeding it up, and learning to keep the bus on time......

Congradulations to you 2 im on day 2 was up in Harlem today with tha crazy's walking in the middle of the street getting the turns down packed clearing the curb I have a great Instructor as well

Been a long time coming hasn't it. Don't screw it up or else. You owe it to no one but yourself to get this career start, but all dat whinin' some of youz done, yall better make it pay off now, or else.........

Congratulations to the both of you. Now things will be different on your own. No longer you and the other operator vs. them. Now you fly solo, and rarely will TA have your back. Be careful, be safe, point A to point B safely, is all you need to worry about. Honestly though, once probation is over, that is when most start speeding it up, and learning to keep the bus on time......

Been a long time coming hasn't it. Don't screw it up or else. You owe it to no one but yourself to get this career start, but all dat whinin' some of youz done, yall better make it pay off now, or else.........

well when your on probation do everything there way and be like 5 or 10 mins late not early both hands on the wheel watch out for undercover supervisors.

when probation is up then you drive how you feel comfortabale one hand i you like speed up to if u want then be on time

well when your on probation do everything there way and be like 5 or 10 mins late not early both hands on the wheel watch out for undercover supervisors.

when probation is up then you drive how you feel comfortabale one hand i you like speed up to if u want then be on time

You learn to make that bus fly like an eagle (with a governor).............

On probation, 5-10 minutes is great late timing. Most are 20-30 minutes behind......

Yes it has been DOB2RTO and I definitely will not mess this up

Can one of the mods change a topic of this thread

I originaly started it to show the training process after two weeks, but lots of stuff got added on, It is very important that people know what to expect when they get to the first day at zerega, because they dont tell you nothing in advance

Can one of the mods change a topic of this thread

I originaly started it to show the training process after two weeks, but lots of stuff got added on, It is very important that people know what to expect when they get to the first day at zerega, because they dont tell you nothing in advance

What would you like the thread renamed to?

5025 is BO test

I ended up qualifying on day 7

Monday day 0

Everyone gets to fill out 10 application papers for the whole 8 hours that we were there. Some people had to redo some papers more than ones, because they made mistakes, and crossing out is not permitted :D

Tuesday Day 1

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 4 people per bus, 1 instructor. We got to drive about an hour and a half on the first day . No traffic area, very simple left right turns. MTA Bus and TA people all mixed together. Just trying to get used to the damn mirror on the right side of the bus ( MTA wants you set up that mirror so you can see the rear right tire. That means you cannot see nothing next to the bus. So blind merging is FUN ! )

Wednesday Day 2

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 4 people per bus, 1 instructor. We drove the bus from Flatbush depot to Bronx and drove around in Bronx for a bit. Highway driving and Local Streets driving for every one. Again with the damn mirror on RTS bus. It’s a Bit#$.

Thursday Day 3

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 4 people per bus, 1 instructor. Drove around more to get used to the driving a long bus. Still trying to get used to the damn mirror. Hit a curb couple of times but nothing major ( a big no no )

Friday Day 4

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 4 people per bus, 1 instructor. We were reassigned to the new depot, and new instructor. Drove to Brooklyn, Coney island from JFK depot. Did some El Pillars ( Driving in between column of the elevated Train ) ( 86 street in Brooklyn, Coney island ). Interesting, but strange experience, coming in and out of traffic to get practice of driving in-between the darn things.

Monday Day 5 / QUALIFICATION DAY 1 ( Must do 2 days out of 3 in order to pass this time around )

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 3 people per bus, 1 instructor. Yep only 3 people, Some one already was let go, This job is not for him. Drove to NYC Up-town around 120-96 streets. Somewhat heavy traffic, Did a lot of turns and bus stops. Drove around about 2 hours per person

Tuesday Day 6 / QUALIFICATION DAY 2 ( Must do 2 days out of 3 in order to pass this time around )

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 3 people per bus, 1 instructor. Drove to NYC down town, 10-36 streets WHAT A BIT$#. Especially going east on 14 street and making a left turn on Park Ave. There is no room to make that turn especially with a stupid cab just parking in my lane and leaving the car standing there ;( Had to back up ( day failed ;( ) drove around for 45 minutes ( we all were upset about the road we took and all of us screwed up on it )

Wednesday Day 7 / QUALIFICATION DAY 3 ( Must do 2 days out of 3 in order to pass this time around )

Report to the depot, that you are assigned for training. 3 people per bus, 1 instructor. Drove to Bronx (not sure where we were, but it’s up in 150th street or so ) very short , but very hard track. We had to make a left turn that 2 other people did not make. I have no clue how I made it, but I had 3 inches from curb to left rear tire, and 1 inch from Light Pole to right front bumper. ( I later Learned that all other people went to other places and had a short easy time on day 7, nothing like we did, very unfair ! ). Then went back to Zerega Ave depot, and did parking and back up ( easy ) .

I Passed qualification (I drove the bus 5 hours before I got to MTA)

Another person who never drove the bus before Passed qualification

Third person who got 5 years school bus experience failed ( but passed on day 9 )

Thursday Day 8

Whoever failed the qualification are taking their 1 free training day, and the rest of us are hanging around and driving a new Hybrid bus ( what a piece of cake that bus is, easy in turns, mirrors are great, shorter wheel base, awesome bus )

Friday Day 9

Whoever failed the qualification are taking their 1 day to qualify ( if they will fail again they will have last chance to get the job on Monday morning, but they will have 2 instructors instead of 1, and it will be their last chance ) . We are doing our First Aid class, and hanging around, waiting for the rest of the folks to catch up

The first day is up at zerega though, correct? And you are doing paperwork all day...do they give you a manual to study?

My husband was called to start on August 17 for training class at zerega

The first day is up at zerega though, correct? And you are doing paperwork all day...do they give you a manual to study?

Olegkha I sent you a Message that I haven't gotten a reply to and that turn off of 14th Street on to Park Avenue we did that Yesterday an Acute Angle it's not hard at all you just have to know where to line your self up at and when to start cutting the Wheel my Instructor is a great Guy and is very hard on us and I don't complain because I Total Understand where he is coming from it's dangerous out there it aint hard but it aint easy either

and we did the El Pillers today that wasn't hard at all just get your space and clear the Stanchion we were up in the Bronx With Queens Division, Manhattan Division, and I believe Brooklyn Divsion but we had it a little easy where we did it there were no parked cars

but the other Operators from the other Division boy did they have a tuff time

maneuvering Between Parked cars and the Stanchions demonstrating the pivot point

There is this 1 Young Guy Im Young my Self Mid 20's but it just seems like he's bringing my Training group down you definitely don't want anyone like that in your group he didn't complete the hook turn the correct way and did not clear the El Stanchion so my Instructor Chewed him out because we had to back up under White Plains Road and you never want to back the Bus

Olegkha I sent you a Message that I haven't gotten a reply to and that turn off of 14th Street on to Park Avenue we did that Yesterday an Acute Angle it's not hard at all you just have to know where to line your self up at and when to start cutting the Wheel my Instructor is a great Guy and is very hard on us and I don't complain because I Total Understand where he is coming from it's dangerous out there it aint hard but it aint easy either

Yes, Its easy

I had the car drive by and pull over right where i was suppose to turn, so that made me screw up that turn

My instructors in JFK depot was Terry C, and in flatbush was Hernandez

what depot you in ?

and we did the El Pillers today that wasn't hard at all just get you space and clear the Stanchion we were up in the Bronx With Queens Division, Manhattan Division, and I believe Brooklyn Divsion but we had it a little easy where we did it there were no parked cars

but the other Operators from the other Division boy did they have a tuff time

maneuvering Between Parked cars and the Stanchions demonstrating the pivot point

There is this 1 Young Guy Im Young my Self Mid 20's but it just seems like he's bringing my Training group down you definitely don't want anyone like that in your group he didn't complete the hook turn the correct way and did not clear the El Stanchion so my Instructor Chewed him out because we had to back up under White Plains Road and

you never want to back the Bus

Dont listen to that that much, I see people do that all the time

Lots of times get close to the car in front of you on the bus stop and then you figure out that the driver aint there :)

OPSSSSS

Today with in 10 hours I backed up 1 time myself ( about 3 feet ) and I seen 4 other drivers back up at different places.

I stoped at the bus stop right behind another driver, and as soon as I loaded up I see a wheel chair comes up to the bus in front of me. Oh shoot I thought as I seen that :) So i drove back.

all 10 pages of the application :)

Whole day long

Why do seniors like Hawk runs?

because it is the easiest shif, if you like to be up whole night long

No dispatchers, drive as slow or as fast as you like , who cares about time points :)

No traffic, no riders

There was 20 minutes last night, the i had ZERO people on the bus, I do mean ZERO. then I picked up 1 person and droped him off about 5 minutes later. That is all around 1-2 AM. Figure in about an hour or two, there will be 40 minute runs empty

Archived