5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

Olegkha

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, Its easy

I had the car drive by and pull over right where i was suppose to turn, so that made me screw up that turn

My instructors in JFK depot was Terry C, and in flatbush was Hernandez

what depot you in ?

Dont listen to that that much, I see people do that all the time

Lots of times get close to the car in front of you on the bus stop and then you figure out that the driver aint there :)

OPSSSSS

Today with in 10 hours I backed up 1 time myself ( about 3 feet ) and I seen 4 other drivers back up at different places.

I stoped at the bus stop right behind another driver, and as soon as I loaded up I see a wheel chair comes up to the bus in front of me. Oh shoot I thought as I seen that :) So i drove back.

I'm in West Farms Olegkha now i have to finish up on the ALSAPS

The first day is up at zerega though, correct? And you are doing paperwork all day...do they give you a manual to study?

My husband was called to start on August 17 for training class at zerega

They give you the manuals of all of the buses that they use, RTS, Orions, MCI, but you have to give them back. It's important to know as much about the bus as possible.

I am trying to find a RTS operating manual, either on Ebay or on RTS-BUS.com. I will assume that the training buses are mainly from the 90's.

Igor: Remember that photo with those 2 buses parked in the lot in Red Hook? Well the lot is on Beard St between Van Brunt and Dwight streets, near the Ikea. If anybody is ever in the area look for it.

They give you the manuals of all of the buses that they use, RTS, Orions, MCI, but you have to give them back. It's important to know as much about the bus as possible.

I am trying to find a RTS operating manual, either on Ebay or on RTS-BUS.com. I will assume that the training buses are mainly from the 90's.

Igor: Remember that photo with those 2 buses parked in the lot in Red Hook? Well the lot is on Beard St between Van Brunt and Dwight streets, near the Ikea. If anybody is ever in the area look for it.

If you are talking about the Instruction Manual I believe that is yours to keep it doesn't have the type of Buses that you will learn to drive it has what is expected of you Day1-Day6 im not going to say Day7 because that is the First Qualifying Day in order to Qualify and it is of utmost importance to read it

so Locomotion69 while you are waiting to get called you should get those ALSAPS drilled in your head because you have to remember the Six steps in Sequence order to do the Air Brake Test

If you are talking about the Instruction Manual I believe that is yours to keep it doesn't have the type of Buses that you will learn to drive it has what is expected of you Day1-Day6 im not going to say Day7 because that is the First Qualifying Day in order to Qualify and it is of utmost importance to read it

so Locomotion69 while you are waiting to get called you should get those ALSAPS drilled in your head because you have to remember the Six steps in Sequence order to do the Air Brake Test

I was talking about the bus manuals, if I remember correctly it was said on here a long time ago that they "lend" you the manuals but you have to give them back after you are done with the training.

Yes, I know my ALSAPS, practice them quite often in my mind. You don't have to touch the fast idle switch at any point during the air brake tests right?

gabchi They are looking for lace up Uniform [GMAPS]Shoes something with a 6 inch Heel I believe go to Payless thats where I got my shoes from $34.99 cant beat that

6 inch heel? Or 6 inch work boot? I am a bit confused because 6 inches on a heel sounds ridiculous..even for high heels

I was talking about the bus manuals, if I remember correctly it was said on here a long time ago that they "lend" you the manuals but you have to give them back after you are done with the training.

Yes, I know my ALSAPS, practice them quite often in my mind. You don't have to touch the fast idle switch at any point during the air brake tests right?

Ahh you are Correct Locomotion69 you don't have to touch the Fast Idle during the Test

6 inch heel? Or 6 inch work boot? I am a bit confused because 6 inches on a heel sounds ridiculous..even for high heels

Perhaps he was at a strip club last night, so his thought process is a bit off, lol. You need a 2nd opinion about the shoes. Now about the socks, what color do they have to be? navy blue?

Dont touch fast idle, leave it on at all the times

alsaps are easy, but dont try to remember it like the book tells you. try to understand what each step is dor, and that will be easy, alsaps is very easy, and very logical

Perhaps he was at a strip club last night, so his thought process is a bit off, lol. You need a 2nd opinion about the shoes. Now about the socks, what color do they have to be? navy blue?
Lmao you are right I am actually over here laughing as I type I meant to say 2INCH thought process is definitely off

black socks

work shoes

black

no need for metal in the toes area

shoes will be issued and socks will be issued at some point, i was told

Dont touch fast idle, leave it on at all the times

alsaps are easy, but dont try to remember it like the book tells you. try to understand what each step is dor, and that will be easy, alsaps is very easy, and very logical

I'm shortening the words better to do it your way but don't forget the Key words

because it is the easiest shif, if you like to be up whole night long

No dispatchers, drive as slow or as fast as you like , who cares about time points :)

No traffic, no riders

There was 20 minutes last night, the i had ZERO people on the bus, I do mean ZERO. then I picked up 1 person and droped him off about 5 minutes later. That is all around 1-2 AM. Figure in about an hour or two, there will be 40 minute runs empty

i did a 'hawk' run on B3. they like to take the bus 24 hours a day. so the bus wasn't empty on any trip.....

but in flatbush, forget it. i got people stand up to the white line 1 in the morning:confused:

i did a 'hawk' run on B3. they like to take the bus 24 hours a day. so the bus wasn't empty on any trip.....

but in flatbush, forget it. i got people stand up to the white line 1 in the morning:confused:

And around what time does a hawk run usually end? Before the AM Rush hour period?

Olegkha I sent you a Message that I haven't gotten a reply to and that turn off of 14th Street on to Park Avenue we did that Yesterday an Acute Angle it's not hard at all you just have to know where to line your self up at and when to start cutting the Wheel my Instructor is a great Guy and is very hard on us and I don't complain because I Total Understand where he is coming from it's dangerous out there it aint hard but it aint easy either

and we did the El Pillers today that wasn't hard at all just get your space and clear the Stanchion we were up in the Bronx With Queens Division, Manhattan Division, and I believe Brooklyn Divsion but we had it a little easy where we did it there were no parked cars

but the other Operators from the other Division boy did they have a tuff time

maneuvering Between Parked cars and the Stanchions demonstrating the pivot point

There is this 1 Young Guy Im Young my Self Mid 20's but it just seems like he's bringing my Training group down you definitely don't want anyone like that in your group he didn't complete the hook turn the correct way and did not clear the El Stanchion so my Instructor Chewed him out because we had to back up under White Plains Road and you never want to back the Bus

Done it on the parked car side, but since I had coach USA training (with cones), it was easy for me. Far easier to see El pillars, than orange short cones. My instructor, just said turn here, and get out of the seat........

Like the Bx36. This is why when a West Farms dispatcher who I know asked me to do an overnighter as overtime, I asked which line, he said the Bx36, I said nope, Goodnight.......

And around what time does a hawk run usually end? Before the AM Rush hour period?

Usually after. You have an am rush trip or two, or three (the Bx19)........

run 1 usually around 12am - 1am, so it ends around 9-10am. i think run 1 to run 3 consider hawk runs

Ok, I see, thanks guys. So no matter how you slice it or dice it a B/O is going to have to work through either an am or pm rush hour. I am talking mainly about the local routes.

I read in the Chief online edition last week that they are holding classes for new B/O's at TWU headquarters on the UWS. I can copy and paste the article in here if you want. Anybody know anything about this?

Ok, I see, thanks guys. So no matter how you slice it or dice it a B/O is going to have to work through either an am or pm rush hour. I am talking mainly about the local routes.

I read in the Chief online edition last week that they are holding classes for new B/O's at TWU headquarters on the UWS. I can copy and paste the article in here if you want. Anybody know anything about this?

nah ..can you post it?

Archived