5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

Olegkha

Allege 'Transit' Giving TWU Incumbents Aid In Wooing New Hires

Cite Shift of Training For Bus Employees From Bronx to Union HQ

By ARI PAUL

A lawyer for the dissident slate in the Transport Workers Union Local 100 election has accused New York City Transit of illegally aiding incumbent candidates.

In a letter to NYC Transit President Howard Roberts July 27, Larry Cary, the lawyer for the Take Back Our Union slate, said "there is a significant question about whether [NYC Transit] is unlawfully assisting the incumbent officers by allowing them to relocate the orientation of new members off the employer's premises and onto the union's premises while the incumbent officers actively campaign among the new hires for the upcoming balloting."

Voting in the Local 100 officer election concluded in June, and ballots will remain sealed until December, but members hired in between will be able to vote over the course of the next several months. TBOU presidential candidate John Samuelsen estimated that there will be several hundred new workers hired at the two NYC Transit bus companies—enough votes to potentially sway the contest towards Acting President Curtis Tate, who is running for a full term on the incumbent United Invincible slate.

Mr. Samuelsen claimed that for the last 10 years new bus worker training has taken place at the Zerega Ave. bus maintenance facility in The Bronx but this year was moved to Local 100's Upper West Side headquarters.

"We have received reports that at new-hire orientations the incumbents tell new hires that they went on strike to protect their pension benefits and claim that the opposition did not support protection of their benefits," Mr. Cary said in his letter, referring to the illegal, three-day transit strike Local 100 led in December 2005. "Moreover, we have received reports that sample ballots have been displayed to some new hires at these orientations and the incumbents' ballot positions pointed out to them."

Mr. Samuelsen said in a phone interview, "Transit workers should look very closely at that."

A NYC Transit spokesman declined to comment.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bull crap

orientation is still at zerega, and I dont even know how their ballot looks like

Some one is lying, why ?

Yeah, that is the Chief for you, a lot of articles have a hidden agenda behind it.

Is it true that a bus has to be taken out of service if any red warning light comes on inside the bus(dashboard/cockpit)?

My husband starts on Monday (8/17) I have been reading pointers and what not about what you need to know such as ALSAPS, where to point mirrors , etc. You have any useful information I can pass on :)

Don't be late! As you know already he will be filling out forms all day on Monday, the next day he will get on the bus. Everybody learns at a different pace, but hopefully he will have a good but strict instructor, one who is hard on him, like a marine sergeant.:tup:

What route are you taking to get to Zerega? It's going to be a lot with tolls, Vz bridge+jfk bridge or the throgs neck bridge.

Don't be late! As you know already he will be filling out forms all day on Monday, the next day he will get on the bus. Everybody learns at a different pace, but hopefully he will have a good but strict instructor, one who is hard on him, like a marine sergeant.:tup:

What route are you taking to get to Zerega? It's going to be a lot with tolls, Vz bridge+jfk bridge or the throgs neck bridge.

Thanks for the info! Yea, I saw that we he will have a lot of tolls...not sure how to get there, he knows lol. I guess I will mapquest it or something.

I meant to say the Whitestone bridge and not the Throgs neck, get off at the 1st exit of the Hutchinson River Pkwy, it's right there. If taking the RFK bridge you will have to get on the bruckner for about 6 miles to get to Zerega.

Stay away from the Castle Hill projects, try to park north of

Lafayette Avenue going towards the expressway. Even though this isn't the worst part of the Bronx like the southwestern part. From looking at google maps, the side streets are mostly 1 and 2 family houses with driveways.

Is it true that a bus has to be taken out of service if any red warning light comes on inside the bus(dashboard/cockpit)?

Except for buses out of Kingsbridge. IIRC, if a bus has no red warning light, then something is seriously wrong, or a good bus slip into that depot, and that ain't suppose to happen. Actually, drivers out of there got use to driving bad equipment, with red lights on the dash. All Control would say is keep it moving. I had a bus with a transmission problem, red lights, gears not changing, jerking, etc....,they said keep it moving until it breaks down. It did break down, and limped back to the depot......

Day 7 was yesterday I Qualified Today off to Zerega Had a Situation like yours Olegkha Guy dropped out on Day 6 just hope he's alright nobody has heard from him

Congratulations. Remember, you can't feel sorry for others who don't make it, or quit, who are ahead of you. You move up in seniority, and MTA jobs are based on it. Yes it sounds evil, but it is a fact for B/O's, T/O's, and C/R's here at MTA.........

Secretly, I don't want to see anyone fail myself..........

My husband starts on Monday (8/17) I have been reading pointers and what not about what you need to know such as ALSAPS, where to point mirrors , etc. You have any useful information I can pass on :P
of course gabachi with the RTS he has to lean into the passenger side Mirror since it's looking at the rear tire and the ground they want to know that you see whats going on around you look over your shoulder on the drivers side people tend to sneak up on you on an angle watch for the bikes pedestrians and motorcycles and the people who seemlessly walk in the street and tell him to cover the brakes apply them and come to a crawl if he encounters any of that

Except for buses out of Kingsbridge. IIRC, if a bus has no red warning light, then something is seriously wrong, or a good bus slip into that depot, and that ain't suppose to happen. Actually, drivers out of there got use to driving bad equipment, with red lights on the dash. All Control would say is keep it moving. I had a bus with a transmission problem, red lights, gears not changing, jerking, etc....,they said keep it moving until it breaks down. It did break down, and limped back to the depot......

Congratulations. Remember, you can't feel sorry for others who don't make it, or quit, who are ahead of you. You move up in seniority, and MTA jobs are based on it. Yes it sounds evil, but it is a fact for B/O's, T/O's, and C/R's here at MTA.........

Secretly, I don't want to see anyone fail myself..........

Thank you DOB2RTO and i'll keep that in mind although like you I don't want to see anyone fail either

If you are going to Zerega there is little to no parking there. You will not be allowed to use there parking lot. I recommend getting there early like a hour atleast before you time. The address is 750 zerega.

Thanks Noflex..if he gets there an hour earlier, will he be able to find parking or is it a waste to bring the car?

Wow, I am surprised to hear that. So you were putting your passengers and your life on the line by driving a defective bus. You must have been sweating bullets.:eek:

What is the longest that you have waited for a road truck? I know console always tells the B/O to call them back if they don't come within an hour.

Thanks Noflex..if he gets there an hour earlier, will he be able to find parking or is it a waste to bring the car?

There is plenty of parking there, pass 750 zerega and about a block or two down on the left side its clear all the time

making a right right after 750 zerega, good chance to find parking

every time i got there 60-10 minutes before the time i was suppose to come and never had a problem with parking. furthest i parked was 3 blocks away on zerega av.

There is plenty of parking there, pass 750 zerega and about a block or two down on the left side its clear all the time

making a right right after 750 zerega, good chance to find parking

every time i got there 60-10 minutes before the time i was suppose to come and never had a problem with parking. furthest i parked was 3 blocks away on zerega av.

Awesome, thanks! I don't think he wanted to wake up at 2 am to take mass transit...no pun intended lol

Archived