Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Olegkha

5025: Bus operator training (first two weeks)

I am getting ready to head out to work right now, and i thought of another small thing that maybe important to people who are just starting out.

MTA way is to set your right side mirror to point at the right rear tire , to make sure you are not going over some ones foot, or side walk. Well thats good, but it makes it impossible to see if some one is over taking you on right, or a bike is trying to go into the 4 feet hole you left on the right side of the bus ( yes i know they always tell you to stay right, to make sure no one can sneak up on you on right, but that is not possible all the time )

So you have to use that small convex mirror that is on all training buses.

Well guess what , it is not on all of the buses ( at least in my depot )

and that makes it kind of hard to drive it while you are not used to the bus.

I am not telling you to go buy 2 small convex mirror (same diameter that MTA has on their buses), and put it on in case your bus dont have it ( its cheap 2 $ for 2 in auto parts store ) ( oh wait, i am telling you that )

I bought 4 of them, and i have 2 left in my bag

I could probably drive a bus with out that mirror right now, but why skip on safety ?

Wow, I am surprised to hear that. So you were putting your passengers and your life on the line by driving a defective bus. You must have been sweating bullets.:eek:

What is the longest that you have waited for a road truck? I know console always tells the B/O to call them back if they don't come within an hour.

Transmission failing on a bus doesn't put no ones life in danger, unless it does it on a highway, and there is no place to pull over. But remember transmissions don't care where they fail at. I never sweat, but actually relax with a defective bus. If it is truly a safety reason, like smoke, or fire, then I put the bus out of service, regardless of what control says........

The shortest of the longest I waited was 3 hrs, at 126st, when I had a bus on the M100 break down on me. The air started was had an air clot, so the bus wouldn't start up........

The longest of the longest was 5 hrs, when I had an artic not start up on the Bx41 at the Hub. I waited so long, the dispatcher came back to me, and told me to ride up on another Bx41 to Fordham, to get the "swing" bus for service..........

As stated before the MTA wants you to point the right side mirror to the rear tire. Your middle mirror if set up correctly will show you everything that you can see out your rights side windows. You should be able to see bikes pass and people walking. As far as driving a defective bus goes don’t do it. Anything that wrong and is in a red box on your OVCR card must be reported to console. Doing so and not reporting is a Violation. I know of an operator who pulled out a bus went in service, dispatcher seen damage to one of the tires took the bus out if service and gave the operator a violation. Safety first you are dealing with Lives. Always remember that!

As stated before the MTA wants you to point the right side mirror to the rear tire. Your middle mirror if set up correctly will show you everything that you can see out your rights side windows. You should be able to see bikes pass and people walking. As far as driving a defective bus goes don’t do it. Anything that wrong and is in a red box on your OVCR card must be reported to console. Doing so and not reporting is a Violation. I know of an operator who pulled out a bus went in service, dispatcher seen damage to one of the tires took the bus out if service and gave the operator a violation. Safety first you are dealing with Lives. Always remember that!

Tired with pits on the side has to go OOS, cause it can explode. As for that interior mirror, it only works when there isn't a standing load to the white line. When you have a standing load to that line, you won't see nothing, and as I asked my trainer, what if I have a standing load to the white line (I was being sarcastic with him), he said, just be more careful. You will have to dip in that right mirror, at times as that is all one may have with a standing crush load on a local bus........

Broke down today for the first time, and had to use the radio for the first time, well radio did not work :P

So i had to use my cell to call console, and get the truck to come out to the city ( i was on x38 )

boy the people were maaaaaaadddddddd ;) had to reload them on other bus

Broke down today for the first time, and had to use the radio for the first time, well radio did not work :P

So i had to use my cell to call console, and get the truck to come out to the city ( i was on x38 )

boy the people were maaaaaaadddddddd ;) had to reload them on other bus

Your radio didn't work? Did you log on to the radio before you started your run? I don't think they would let you pull out with a radio that didn't work.

I listen to the scanner and several times they have to ask each other to repeat what they just said, they need to upgrade their radio system, antennas, repeaters, etc.

I think your follower was more mad when you made him board all of your passengers..:mad:...lol..how long was your wait for the road truck?

from what i see atleat 1 third of the radios dont work

the wait was short about 1 hour

Most don't work, but technically, the bus suppose to be OOS, as that radio is a safety device to call console if you are attacked on the bus. But then again it's TA, and even though the union suppose to enforce this rule, they don't and will just say to you themselves, well most don't work, use your cell phone (who's paying for my cell phone bill then?)...........

So if the radio doesn't work, that means if you press the RTT button nothing happens right? I hear console scolding B/O's all the time for not being logged in when they call in for a problem through the radio, by being logged in they can see your run and route on their computer screen.

There must be a reason why so many radios on the buses don't work..:P

Olegka, How was the graduation? I was not able to make it. You might have heard what happened to me. If you did don't repeat it on here I will be back very soon.

Olegka, How was the graduation? I was not able to make it. You might have heard what happened to me. If you did don't repeat it on here I will be back very soon.

Graduation was very "interesting" about 400 people in a room with NO AC !!!!

thats all i remember.

I am heavy set guy, so for me AC is a priority :)

Rob, check your PM

Graduation was very "interesting" about 400 people in a room with NO AC !!!!

thats all i remember.

I am heavy set guy, so for me AC is a priority ;)

Rob, check your PM

Oleg, congrats and good luck to you and everybody that made it

through..Safe riding!!

I guess there is more than one lol, Manhattan

Well yeah, haha, there are like 137 Torres in the NYCTA, but only 2 with the title of Superintendent of buses. Just trying to narrow it down for you. So I guess the students and their

instructor aren't on a first name basis then? :P

I think my husband has Torres
Torres nothing bad to say about the Guy the first impression is a lasting impression great guy so is Supt's Mosley,Knight,Giblin,Merwin,Reyes and a couple of other guys

my first 7 I had an supt with a D. That jerk that I had on 8 and 9 begin with a G.

Torres nothing bad to say about the Guy the first impression is a lasting impression great guy so is Supt's Mosley,Knight,(G)iblin,Merwin,Reyes and a couple of other guys

This might be the one who he was referring to.

Torres nothing bad to say about the Guy the first impression is a lasting impression great guy so is Supt's Mosley,Knight,(G)iblin,Merwin,Reyes and a couple of other guys

This might be the one who he was referring to.

Where is he doing his 7 day?

Its probably Joe Torres a little guy w goatee ?

Torres nothing bad to say about the Guy the first impression is a lasting impression great guy so is Supt's Mosley,Knight,Giblin,Merwin,Reyes and a couple of other guys

Sorry Flash, I didn't know how to double quote, BusOperaotor3319 can answer your question.

Mosley is good, but i was told all 4 people did not make it on day 7 in my class

BTW PEOPLE WHO ARE READING THIS AND ARE GETING READY TO GO IN TRAINING !!!

I strongly urge you to get your CDL on your own.

MTA gives you 2 chances to pass DMV road test, lots of people make it, but i hear about 4 people already from my class who were let go because of the road test.

Yes i know it costs money to take 3-5 classes and take a bus for a road test, but it is one less thing to worry about.

Mosley is good, but i was told all 4 people did not make it on day 7 in my class

BTW PEOPLE WHO ARE READING THIS AND ARE GETING READY TO GO IN TRAINING !!!

I strongly urge you to get your CDL on your own.

MTA gives you 2 chances to pass DMV road test, lots of people make it, but i hear about 4 people already from my class who were let go because of the road test.

Yes i know it costs money to take 3-5 classes and take a bus for a road test, but it is one less thing to worry about.

Yeah Mosley is good he was my Training Superintendent

Where is he doing his 7 day?

Its probably Joe Torres a little guy w goatee ?

126 in Manhattan...not sure of his first name, he says he is a great instructor, though.

126 in Manhattan...not sure of his first name, he says he is a great instructor, though.

Yup thats my man Torres If anyone cant pass in 7 with him they are nuts there isnt a better guy to teach anyone

Yup thats my man Torres If anyone cant pass in 7 with him they are nuts there isnt a better guy to teach anyone

Flushing , you had him? My husband said he is an amazing instructor...so thorough and really in depth with showing you not only what you are doing right but what you are doing wrong.