Nathans Hot Dog Eating Contest and Reality TV contests as whole

Shortline Bus

The tradition continues in Coney Island. The Nathans annunal Hot Dog eating contest. I personally not a big fan of it bit it beats informericals right now lol.;)B)

Today (7/4/09)Joey Chestnut for 3rd Straight year beat Kobayashi for the title.

Feel free to comment on either the Nathans Contest or "reality' game shows as a whole.

Critics of eating tv conests like Nathans claim these contests waste food in a world where millions still suffer from hunger. The Nathans Contest draws very good rating for ESPN.

Seriously which of these alternative and or reality 'tv' events is overrated?

1)Nathans Hot Dog Eating Contest

2)Westminster Dog Show

3)Reality contests like "America Next Top Model" "World Series of Poker" "Scripps National Spelling Bee' and of course "American Idol' fits here.

I'd rather watch these guys battle for most eaten hot dogs or the world series of poker than some nasty uptight stuck up rich people parading their slave dogs around any day. That dog show should be banned, its disgusting. Animals are not here for our entertainment and amusement.

I'd rather watch these guys battle for most eaten hot dogs or the world series of poker than some nasty uptight stuck up rich people parading their slave dogs around any day. That dog show should be banned, its disgusting. Animals are not here for our entertainment and amusement.

Messino i am only playing 'devil adovcate' but what about horse racing? That the most popular sport involving 'animals' and draws millions each year on telelvision w/ Ky. Derby, the Belmont, etc?

Guest Charles

lolol the Spelling Bee is intense

In all seriousness I think reality shows have expanded into every possible corner of TV...i think this summer CBS has a series about a family who gets blocked off from the world by a wall and they have to survive or something. A few years ago they ran "kid nation."

these reality shows are rarely successful. Most don't even past make it their first season, and some get cancelled after their 1st show! why shows like The Biggest Loser are successful is that it reaches out to people and it is a definition of "reality." people understand the situations of contestants on that show. Trapping families within a wall is NOT reality.

However, i think the hot dog eating contest is pretty cool. It's a 7/4 tradition, something we "normal" people watch to amuse ourselves and gawk at the "professional eaters," if you will.

The Hot Dog eating contest was fun. Glad Chesnut Won!

Some reality show are kinda corny. I used to watch American Idol alot, but I have started watching less overtime.

As long as the the leftover food at the Nathans conest is given to charities for the poor/homeless which i read/saw on tv they do, it all good imo. The Publicty this event gets being shown live on ESPN does provide 'positive' media coverage to Coney Island in which they need it since most of the Astroland Park rides closed at end of last summer.

I do admit atching the guys in this contest 'vomit' at end of match does make my stomach upset as well:o:(.

Messino i am only playing 'devil adovcate' but what about horse racing? That the most popular sport involving 'animals' and draws millions each year on telelvision w/ Ky. Derby, the Belmont, etc?

I'm not into horse racing or any horse sports either. People who ride on horses should have their legs broken. Theres no need to ride on an animals back especially in this day and age and Im not some kind of PETA freakazoid at all.

I'm not into horse racing or any horse sports either. People who ride on horses should have their legs broken. Theres no need to ride on an animals back especially in this day and age and Im not some kind of PETA freakazoid at all.

I did see a news feture on HBO 'real sports' sport tv magazine show that low level race horses that did not do well in their matches in some cases were slaughtered and use as meat in parts of Europe and Asia.

With that said, 'modern' Horse racing has been around for 100 years and i dont think it isgoing away for a long while at least. Like it ot not, tens of thousands of people worldwide make their living/work in the horse racing field and it is a lucartive Billion Dollar sport. Not to mention horse racing after the NFL and soccer is second-third most bet sport on the planet.

Back to the Nathans conest. Messino a question? What you say to critics who say the hot dog eating contest 'wastes' food that could be eaten by the poor/homeless?

I did see a news feture on HBO 'real sports' sport tv magazine show that low level race horses that did not do well in their matches in some cases were slaughtered and use as meat in parts of Europe and Asia.

With that said, 'modern' Horse racing has been around for 100 years and i dont think it isgoing away for a long while at least. Like it ot not, tens of thousands of people worldwide make their living/work in the horse racing field and it is a lucartive Billion Dollar sport. Not to mention horse racing after the NFL and soccer is second-third most bet sport on the planet.

Back to the Nathans conest. Messino a question? What you say to critics who say the hot dog eating contest 'wastes' food that could be eaten by the poor/homeless?

The poor/homeless have other options like public assistance or organizations that feed the needy.

I dont think food being used for the contest whether wasted or not is'nt going to deprive anyone in this country from eating. Americans in general are very wasteful especially when it comes to food and yeah its messed up but hey people pay for the food, they could do what ever they want with it since its their money, so really they would just be wasting their money.

Critics should be more concerned with issues like airplane shows/races and car racing, NASCAR and all of its affiliates (different types of car and truck racing levels) comes to mind, all they do is drive hundreds of miles in circles burning oil / gasoline that is a fossil fuel in limited supply and cant be rejuvinated from the planet. That would be more of an issue.

Hot dogs arn't necessarily a quality food either.

The poor/homeless have other options like public assistance or organizations that feed the needy.

I dont think food being used for the contest whether wasted or not is'nt going to deprive anyone in this country from eating. Americans in general are very wasteful especially when it comes to food and yeah its messed up but hey people pay for the food, they could do what ever they want with it since its their money, so really they would just be wasting their money.

Critics should be more concerned with issues like airplane shows/races and car racing, NASCAR and all of its affiliates (different types of car and truck racing levels) comes to mind, all they do is drive hundreds of miles in circles burning oil / gasoline that is a fossil fuel in limited supply and cant be rejuvinated from the planet. That would be more of an issue.

Hot dogs arn't necessarily a quality food either.

Intresting thoughts my friend. Never thought of auto racing in that context.

Intresting thoughts my friend. Never thought of auto racing in that context.

Don't get me wrong I used to enjoy NASCAR races up until they got too greedy and started imposing unrealisitc rules and limitations, but the fact of the matter is, it really is a waste of gasoline since they are not doing anything important with it. I just think society in general needs the gasoline for more important uses other that driving 50 cars at a time in circles.

The tradition continues in Coney Island. The Nathans annunal Hot Dog eating contest. I personally not a big fan of it bit it beats informericals right now lol.;)B)

Today (7/4/09)Joey Chestnut for 3rd Straight year beat Kobayashi for the title.

Feel free to comment on either the Nathans Contest or "reality' game shows as a whole.

Critics of eating tv conests like Nathans claim these contests waste food in a world where millions still suffer from hunger. The Nathans Contest draws very good rating for ESPN.

Seriously which of these alternative and or reality 'tv' events is overrated?

1)Nathans Hot Dog Eating Contest

2)Westminster Dog Show

3)Reality contests like "America Next Top Model" "World Series of Poker" "Scripps National Spelling Bee' and of course "American Idol' fits here.

ESPN going to show everything from car show,lawnmower racing,Madden changes to World series of poker....that show shouln'n be on ESPN...It get me upset to see it's on more than one hour.....ESPN going to be like MTV and Vh1 soon if they don't get their act together.

ESPN going to show everything from car show,lawnmower racing,Madden changes to World series of poker....that show shouln'n be on ESPN...It get me upset to see it's on more than one hour.....ESPN going to be like MTV and Vh1 soon if they don't get their act together.

Who won this year lawnmower race lol? Kidding.;):cool:

Don't get me wrong I used to enjoy NASCAR races up until they got too greedy and started imposing unrealisitc rules and limitations, but the fact of the matter is, it really is a waste of gasoline since they are not doing anything important with it. I just think society in general needs the gasoline for more important uses other that driving 50 cars at a time in circles.

Well,the Indy cars series use Ethanol fuel....anyway if you think NASCAR is bad with rules you should see F1 rules they're too PC over there.

Well,the Indy cars series use Ethanol fuel....anyway if you think NASCAR is bad with rules you should see F1 rules they're too PC over there.

There was a point & time I could name every F1 racer; back in the days of Damon Hill, Michael Schumacher, Heinz Harald Frentzen, Jacques Villeneuve, etc etc.... Now I can't name one... Ever since they stopped airing it on television (well in the US, anyway), I lost interest... as you said, this was also around the time where so many rules were changed, I wouldn't want to watch F1 races, even if they did continue to air them....

Early this year (or was it late last year, can't remember) when Hamilton won his first race, they started showing a few F1 races on channel 5 (I believe it was)... I just could not get into it... at all....

110% agreed. ESPN has absolutely sucked since about 2004 or so. I can't stand to watch it anymore.

MTV has sucked since at least 2000/01

VH1 has sucked since At least 2002/03

and continuing on, NYC radio has sucked a lot in recent years with the exception of Q104.3, K-Rock (when it was around), and occasionally WPLJ. Hot 97 has sold out into playing too much R&B, Z-100 has become a total pop crap fest, and most of the other stations have also gone down hill.

Good luck finding sports on ESPN or music on VH1. Odds are you will find reality TV, talk shows, or things posing as sports/music that aren't (like the spelling bee going on ESPN)

There was a point & time I could name every F1 racer; back in the days of Damon Hill, Michael Schumacher, Heinz Harald Frentzen, Jacques Villeneuve, etc etc.... Now I can't name one... Ever since they stopped airing it on television (well in the US, anyway), I lost interest... as you said, this was also around the time where so many rules were changed, I wouldn't want to watch F1 races, even if they did continue to air them....

Early this year (or was it late last year, can't remember) when Hamilton won his first race, they started showing a few F1 races on channel 5 (I believe it was)... I just could not get into it... at all....

Well tell you the truth I don't like F1,because the racing is too boring....the leader going to pull alway on lap one and he going to stay there.I remember back in 2005 one guy won all of races excepte for one round,because he crash out.A another reason the rules are too dumb.....if you do one thing wrong you going to get penalized Seriously,....the only time their racing are interesting if they race in the rain,so that's my rant about it.....BTW F1 races are air on Cable/Satellite tv.

110% agreed. ESPN has absolutely sucked since about 2004 or so. I can't stand to watch it anymore.

MTV has sucked since at least 2000/01

VH1 has sucked since At least 2002/03

and continuing on, NYC radio has sucked a lot in recent years with the exception of Q104.3, K-Rock (when it was around), and occasionally WPLJ. Hot 97 has sold out into playing too much R&B, Z-100 has become a total pop crap fest, and most of the other stations have also gone down hill.

Good luck finding sports on ESPN or music on VH1. Odds are you will find reality TV, talk shows, or things posing as sports/music that aren't (like the spelling bee going on ESPN)

and that why I got my XM radio...you could listen to all kind of music on there....

Archived