R46 (C) Train, When will it happen?

ctrain

the (A) will get the R179s if order or R160s as soon as it is time for the R44 to retire and the (C) will run R44 and R46 and 100% R46 when the R44 is retired.............fyi Queens Blvd are not getting R179 if ordered.......

We shall wait. FYI, the F will still have 208 R46s once the R160 order is complete; there are 208 R179s planned for the base order.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now it's not planned for the (C) to get R160s. The rest will be going to Jamaica to retire the SMEE's there, and to bump off more R46s to Pitkin once all the SMEEs there are retired. 32 will go to ENY to retire the R42s there. This may change but I doubt it will.

That's used as the collective term for the R10-42 fleet, as it uses the same braking mechanics. (the 62's and 68's went back to it, but the 44 and 46 originally had a different system, and then were retrofitted with a system resembling SMEE).

So in our usage now, it is basically a short way of saying "old 60 foot equipment")

What is SMEE?

As Eric B said, it is a collective term for subway cars R10 through R42, based on their common braking system.

The subway terminology glossary on http://www.nycsubway.org/faq/glossary.html defines SMEEs as:

SMEE

Straight-air Motor Car Electro-pneumatic Emergency. A type of train braking system. SMEE uses electrical signals to rapidly equalize braking effort in a train. It also allows each car in the train to draw compressed air for braking from its own supply, rather then depending on that from the car where the operator is located.

That's used as the collective term for the R10-42 fleet, as it uses the same braking mechanics. (the 62's and 68's went back to it, but the 44 and 46 originally had a different system, and then were retrofitted with a system resembling SMEE).

So in our usage now, it is basically a short way of saying "old 60 foot equipment")

R44s are not SMEEs, but R46s are. This is why an R44 and an R46 can't link up, even though they are very similar.

It looks like the (C) will be running 10 car R32's and a set of R 46's in the near future if my Source is currect which is just in time for me to join the (C) Line once again.

I heard the same thing from my source, The (C) would still keep the R32's with a set of R46's on the side, 207th st now has an r46 set, I forgot the numbers.

R44s are not SMEEs, but R46s are. This is why an R44 and an R46 can't link up, even though they are very similar.

No, R44's are also SMEE. The reason they can't link up has to do with the brake pipe pressure difference between the R44 system and the R46 system (which are both "SMEE type"). The R44 requires 130 lbs or so of brake pipe pressure, the R46 requires the standard 110. Since the brake pipe runs the length of the train and is most relevant in a SMEE system to the emergency brake system, the cars are incompatible.

No, R44's are also SMEE. The reason they can't link up has to do with the brake pipe pressure difference between the R44 system and the R46 system (which are both "SMEE type"). The R44 requires 130 lbs or so of brake pipe pressure, the R46 requires the standard 110. Since the brake pipe runs the length of the train and is most relevant in a SMEE system to the emergency brake system, the cars are incompatible.

Oh, I didn't know, thanks for sharing that. So all SMEE cars, whether they are the same length or not, can link up together, right? Even the R62A, which is a COBRA SMEE? But only the classes R10-R42 (either division) can run together, correct?

Oh, I didn't know, thanks for sharing that. So all SMEE cars, whether they are the same length or not, can link up together, right? Even the R62A, which is a COBRA SMEE? But only the classes R10-R42 (either division) can run together, correct?

This gets fairly complicated...for the purposes of explaining this I will ignore the use of coupler adapters so just assume all equipment is "as is" in the system today.

R44/R46 have different couplers than the rest of the SMEEs, but the same as each other. So they are not compatible with anything else for the purposes of this (since we're ignoring coupler adapters and talking about what will actually run, not just linking "iron to iron" for a dead weight connection). Because of my previous post the R44 and R46 are not compatible with each other, either.

R62/A/68/A have a 4th row of electric portion pins in their couplers, so they can't hook up to any of the earlier SMEEs (R32-R42). Since brake request information is relayed electrically through the train, that also makes the brakes incompatible. Since the coupler types are the same, they can hook up iron to iron with earlier SMEEs if need be without the use of an adapter.

R68 and R68A brakes are "compatible" in the loosest sense but they don't work together very well because the R68A brakes take longer to respond so that portion of the consist will always respond "late".

R62 and R62A I'm not actually 100% sure but I think it's something similar to the R68 and R68A situation where train performance means you'll never really see it. The R62 brake package is more in line with the early SMEE packages where as the R62A package is more in line with what you'd see on the R68

Well , that may be true , but I have hope that the MTA will pull off a mircale and R160s just may go to the (A) and (C). It's better that way anyways. the R160s should take over the (A) ,(C) , and (E) lines. While R46s should run for the (F) , (G) , (R) , and (V). There still should be 2 or 3 sets of R160s on the (F) during rush hours. but that's just my idea. I may be wrong , but keep in mind that you may be wrong too. There could be a change of plans.

The (A) and the (C) definitely deserve R160s. I may not like them but (A) and (C) riders would probably benefit from a change. At least the Fulton Line is taking a break from being the dumping ground of the system's subway cars.

The (A) and the (C) definitely deserve R160s. I may not like them but (A) and (C) riders would probably benefit from a change. At least the Fulton Line is taking a break from being the dumping ground of the system's subway cars.

The reefing should end once the last R32s are gone. I need to find the source, but it was said that the fleets R44 and forward don't have asbestos and therefore would be scrapped. I'm sure that CI would do that job as they've done for the fleets pre-R26 (including R27 and R30/A).

yes they do!!! take the R160's off the (Q) and place them on the (A)(C), place back my R68A's on the (Q), and keep the (:((D) all R68's, R46's can be on the (F)(G)(R)(V) for a while longer, lol.

yes they do!!! take the R160's off the (Q) and place them on the (A)(C), place back my R68A's on the (Q), and keep the (:((D) all R68's, R46's can be on the (F)(G)(R)(V) for a while longer, lol.

I personally would like to see the A/C as 100% R46 though [once the R44's are all retired]. I'd also like them to put the R68's on the G so the R46's would be freed up from the G.

I personally would like to see the A/C as 100% R46 though [once the R44's are all retired]. I'd also like them to put the R68's on the G so the R46's would be freed up from the G.

Well the (G) is supposed to get R160s (when I don't know) and the (A) and the (C) will have all R46s when Queens Boulevard becomes all-R160. However, the order that QB lines would get R160s is what I'm not too sure about.

They're not your R68As...

Well the (G) is supposed to get R160s (when I don't know) and the (A) and the (C) will have all R46s when Queens Boulevard becomes all-R160. However, the order that QB lines would get R160s is what I'm not too sure about.

QB is never becoming all R160s. The (E) yes, the (F) maybe, but the (R) and (V), no.

They're not your R68As...

QB is never becoming all R160s. The (E) yes, the (F) maybe, but the (R) and (V), no.

Lol, "not your R68As".

And agreed, way too many R46's for QB to ever be 100% R160's. The only way that happens is if Jamaica yard stores all the R160's and the F stores its R46's at only Av X. And if the G is based from Coney Island and running R68/A's or R46's. But even that might not make Jamaica yard all R160.

Archived