SIR 44s

Dedos

Rumor has it, by 2010, the SIR's R44s are to be replaced ( Either hand me downs from the subway, or ; in actuality new cars) However, rumors were flying around that there was an order for brand new 75' cars for Staten Island; who knows? I can't stand the SIR's R44's, and Ive been riding them for 20+ years..

Ya, new SIR cars is what goes around more than hand me downs from NYC. They might be the new 75 footer tech cars (supposedly the R179) or a modified version of the M8s. Still unknown but the R44s at SIR now will be around a little after 2010.

R179??? are they being designed yet? If they are who's designing them? New Car Engineering?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The R68s are NOT FRA cerfied.Which means that they cant run on the SIR.And if the MTA give SIR some R68s.What will the (D) and (B) lines have?

Are all R44's FRA certified, or just the ones on SI? I would keep the R40 and R40 slants on the W to give some 68's to SIR. I'd even give the Franklin (S) 68's to SIR, and use 32's on the (S).

Are all R44's FRA certified, or just the ones on SI? I would keep the R40 and R40 slants on the W to give some 68's to SIR. I'd even give the Franklin (S) 68's to SIR, and use 32's on the (S).

Just the R44's that run on the SIR were modified according to FRA standards to run on the SIR. The NYC Subway R44's are standard subway equipment.

The R68s are NOT FRA cerfied.Which means that they cant run on the SIR.And if the MTA give SIR some R68s.What will the (D) and (B) lines have?

They can if the MTA does the modifications on the R68/As to meet what the FRA regulates for SIR specifically.

But really, its best to go with all new cars for SIR. I think they deserve something new down there. And it'll be easier because when the car is being built, the stuff that the FRA regulates for SIR will be done right on the spot instead of doing modifications to not so new cars

• 5 months later...
The R68 is already on the Franklin Shuttle (S).

With permanent signs...

And I highly doubt the R46 would pass to the SIR, as it would need to be FRA certified, and also because the cars are similar in age so it would make more sense to replace them both within the same time frame.