Crab Equipment Question

R44 5278

I'm planning a trip with 10 friends to go crabbing along the North Channel Bridge next month. Therefore, I'm planning to bring 5-7 crab cages as well as 2 buckets each with 25 crabs. Am I allow to bring cages and crabs in buckets aboard the subway and buses by just carrying them with my hands?

Depends on how many you are carrying. The MTA usually frowns upon passengers carrying bulky equipment in the system but as long as it doesn't cause a discrepancy you should be perfectly fine.

I really would advise against eating anything from Jamaica bay, you are bound to get sick.

Officials sent out a memo to all surrounding areas advising not to eat more than one meal per month of weakfish, no more than one meal pr week of striped bass and blue fish. As for crabs I wouldnt touch them. They also claim the green crap (hepatopancreas) in the crabs is highly contaminated and to discard any of the liquid after cooking.

Be safe with that stuff. Theres tons of crap in that bay thats been leaching into the system for years. Heres the article published in the New York Newsday

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lifish0616-table,0,5074993.htmlstory

Archived