Death Lines

ctrain

Look, not even the first R179s are going to go to the A.

Well they have to send R179s down to the SIR of course!

@lrg5784- I dont get it what does long distance between stations have to do with providing new trains to the (A)?

@lrg5784- I dont get it what does long distance between stations have to do with providing new trains to the (A)?

There's something with the circuitry in the NTTs that would make them unable to run to Rockaway in the meantime.

No, I'm most positive that they are going to be on the F since there are still going to be about 208 R46s on the F after the R160 order is complete.

No, I'm most positive that they are going to be on the F since there are still going to be about 208 R46s on the F after the R160 order is complete.

The R44s are being replaced first for sure by the R179s. If anything, they may get rid of the worst R46s as well, but the R46s will outlast the R44s though.

The R44s are being replaced first for sure by the R179s. If anything, they may get rid of the worst R46s as well, but the R46s will outlast the R44s though.
What I meant was that the 208 remaining R46s would bump out the 208 R44s on the A. The Queens Blvd Expresses would then be entirely NTTs, while the A and C are entirely R46s.

What I meant was that the 208 remaining R46s would bump out the 208 R44s on the A. The Queens Blvd Expresses would then be entirely NTTs, while the A and C are entirely R46s.

Holy hell, it's like the R46s are giving the boot to the R44s!

Then how can you explain the 160's testing on the (A) to be a success? Trust me, I've been on a R160 on the Rockaway flats. The train had no issues whatsoever. The "power issue" is just a lame excuse not to place NTT's on the (A) line.

There must be some reason then why I haven't seen an R160 for a couple years. The last time I saw one on the (A) was in 2006, and they were supposed to be a mainstay on the line.

Well if Pitkin can handle R160s then why don't they use them on the (C), if the Rockaways can't handle them yet?

They won't be able to run on the (A) then, and the (A) and (C) share fleets. There are G.O.s, for example, that make the (C) not run and the (A) runs local. In these cases the (A) has to use cars from the ©'s fleet. See what I'm getting at?

if by any chance they end up putting a set or two of R160A or R160B cars on the (:o(D) (I HOPE NOT), they'll probably use them from the Coney Island yard, being that Concourse doesn't want them and is nothing but R68/R68A's.

Neither line will get them as Coney Island isn't getting any more R160s and the (D) isn't based out of Concourse.

NTTs can't go via Rockaway because of the long stretch between Howard Beach and Broad Channel, from what I've read. In a few years, maybe. And don't count on the R179s being 75 feet because there are less doors of the train.

They can build R179s with 5 doors per train, but I'd rather this thread doesn't turn into the 2935723957239752309th R179 thread.

The R179 says nothing about retiring R46s, just the R44s. It would save the (MTA) money to just send them to Pitkin but anything is possible. Also, Option II consists of 21 trains of R160A and 14 trains of R160B, for a total of 35 trains. The (F) currently runs at least 5 R160s (more closely to half R160 IINM), and Option I of the R160A isn't even done yet. After the end of Option II the (F) will be 100% R160.

Then how can you explain the 160's testing on the (A) to be a success? Trust me, I've been on a R160 on the Rockaway flats. The train had no issues whatsoever. The "power issue" is just a lame excuse not to place NTT's on the (A) line.

There can be more issues than meet your eye. For example, you can ride a car with a dead motor (amber light) and nothing will seem wrong to you.

and the (D) isn't based out of Concourse.

The R179 says nothing about retiring R46s, just the R44s. It would save the money to just send them to Pitkin but anything is possible. Also, Option II consists of 21 trains of R160A and 14 trains of R160B, for a total of 35 trains. The currently runs at least 5 R160s (more closely to half R160 IINM), and Option I of the R160A isn't even done yet. After the end of Option II the will be 100% R160.

Of course it is...

I never said that the R179s were going to retire the R46s. What I meant was that the remaining R46s on the F which should be around 208 would bump off the 208 R44s at Pitkin and Rockaway Park.

Of course it is...

I never said that the R179s were going to retire the R46s. What I meant was that the remaining R46s on the F which should be around 208 would bump off the 208 R44s at Pitkin and Rockaway Park.

Oops, I meant the (D) isn't based out of Coney Island. But there will be no remaining R46s on the (F), which is the problem...

So what happens when the R32 fleet is gone? Will the (A) and (C) use R160s by then? Because when the R46s take over and bump the R44s out the R32s will be gone by then. Which fleet will be used for the (A) and (C) by then?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

The way it looks now, at the end of the 160 program, all of the pre-NTT fleet will be concentrated on the uptown-CPW lines (A)(:o©(D), with a few on Broadway and Queens Blvd perhaps. That will be all the 75 foot cars as well, until the R179's arrive.

Oops, I meant the (D) isn't based out of Coney Island. But there will be no remaining R46s on the (F), which is the problem...
Ok I think I went too far, but are you sure that the F is already half R46 and half R160? The F currently (according to thejoekorner) has about 8 R160 trainsets and about 24 R46 trainsets. Combined with the R32, R40M/R42, the F in total has 46 trains. There are still has 14 spots for the R160s to fill where the R32s and R40M/R42s currently stand. That would lead to a total of 22 R160 and 24 R46 on the F. Considering that the A and C needs 20 trainsets (maybe a little more) to push off the 207th R32s, it's either stripping the F to just 2 sets of R46s or having the F and R give an equal amount. I can really picture the R getting the R160s now. With the order complete, there should be at least 6 R160s in layup at Jamaica.

*I don't know how many trains are in layup in any fleet during the days and all my calculations are approximate numbers.

Neither line will get them as Coney Island isn't getting any more R160s and the (D) isn't based out of Concourse.

yes it is. the (:o(D)(4) (mostly (B)(D)) was always based out of Concourse, and always will be.

and you be suprised if Coney Island does order more R160's for their fleet.

There's something with the circuitry in the NTTs that would make them unable to run to Rockaway in the meantime.

What was happening was that certain types of equipment couldn't head out past the South Channel Bridge in the Rockaways due to the third rail current being supplied by LILCO, which was messing with the circuitry of certain trains due to its awkward form of current delivery.

I'm assuming that this problem is a thing of the past, but I am not 100% sure.

What was happening was that certain types of equipment couldn't head out past the South Channel Bridge in the Rockaways due to the third rail current being supplied by LILCO, which was messing with the circuitry of certain trains due to its awkward form of current delivery.

I'm assuming that this problem is a thing of the past, but I am not 100% sure.

It must still be existing as there are no R160s running on the (A) as of yet, and when they were ordered they were supposed to operate on that line.

The R179 says nothing about retiring R46s, just the R44s. It would save the (MTA) money to just send them to Pitkin but anything is possible. Also, Option II consists of 21 trains of R160A and 14 trains of R160B, for a total of 35 trains. The (F) currently runs at least 5 R160s (more closely to half R160 IINM), and Option I of the R160A isn't even done yet. After the end of Option II the (F) will be 100% R160.

There can be more issues than meet your eye. For example, you can ride a car with a dead motor (amber light) and nothing will seem wrong to you.

The (F) is Not going to be 100% R160's The (F) will atleast have 530-50% R46's, Rerember the (R) will be getting the R160's as well and there is a Plain to put them on the (V) as well but that is unknown, 9807-9811 will going to Jamaica and these cars have the Alstom motors.

It must still be existing as there are no R160s running on the (A) as of yet, and when they were ordered they were supposed to operate on that line.

Realistically speaking, line orders mean absolutely nothing; its where the they need the new trains the most. I would say that the major reason why Jamaica Yard got the new trains was because that they serve one of the busiest corridors in the system and their A/C units on their old trains were crapping out one after another. Wherever the new trains (R179, R188, R45½, whatever the hell they're called) are "scheduled" to go, well, I would take it with a grain of salt until the trains are actually on said line. I'll believe it when I see it. There's too much innuendo and too many rumors being based as facts to believe right now.

Archived