Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
CapeLIRRfan

Painting an LIRR M-1 model

Hi all,

I wasn't able to find anything through a forum search, so my apologies if this is something that's been discussed previously.

I'm going to be modeling some LIRR and NYC subway rolling stock in HO scale and I have a question on paint. My first models will be of the LIRR M-1. Has anyone found a blue paint that is proper for the paint scheme these were delivered in? What about the yellow for the stripe they had later on? (Would that shade of yellow be the same for the M-7?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Rick

I don't know about modeling, but I'm sure that the yellow on the M3 isn't the same yellow as the M7.

Hi all,

I wasn't able to find anything through a forum search, so my apologies if this is something that's been discussed previously.

I'm going to be modeling some LIRR and NYC subway rolling stock in HO scale and I have a question on paint. My first models will be of the LIRR M-1. Has anyone found a blue paint that is proper for the paint scheme these were delivered in? What about the yellow for the stripe they had later on? (Would that shade of yellow be the same for the M-7?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Rick

M-1

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?19978

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?67805

You would need a spongebob yellow for today's scheme. But for a blue stripe, use a medium blue, not to light not to dark. Also don't use the paint with sparkles in it because everything is flat.

Thanks for the advice, all! I haven't gotten to the point of needing a yellow yet, but for the blue I used Floquil's Conrail Blue mixed with a bit of gray. Looks pretty good! Hard to tell if it's "exact" because the lighting and camera equipment in all of the pictures I'm going off of varies so much, but hey... if it's wrong then it's just um... faded. Yeah, that's it! :-)

Once I finish them I'll be sure to post pics.

-Rick