Underground transfers

rockdove

Since this is my first post, I am not sure if this has been discussed before - I searched beforehand.

I saw today the news that the Court Square (G) and 45th Road–Court House Square (7) stations will be connected by an enclosed free transfer with two escalators, a stairway and elevator.

In that case, we ought to have a direct transfer between the nearby underground Queens Plaza and the elevated Queensboro Plaza stations. I know people have said they are too far from one another (I estimate about .16 miles). but I believe the underground extent of Queens Plaza and the use of escalators and the clear, underground walkway will make them seem closer. They seem too important not to have connected, and the above ground transfer is difficult and stressful with all the traffic and noise in the area.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are as long or longer passageways in the system, say, at the Times Square or at the Bryant Park (:o(D)(F)(V)(7) station. The Court Square station passageways between (E)(V) and (G) is pretty long and has some human conveyor belt there, though I've never used it... A very long underground passageway I read about comes to mind in upper Manhattan/Bronx on the (1) or (2) lines?

I know the cost is probably too great and the demand is too low that these types of ideas won't go anywhere. Heck, someone even posted that the MTA's response that a simple structure, relatively easy to build, providing a direct transfer between the elevated (3) and (L) lines in East New York won't be built because of "low demand." So I'm merely expressing my wishes here and looking for your thoughts on the matter.

I would also like to see an underground walkway between 63rd St (F) and 59th St (N)(R)(W)(6) if it is going to be suggested this is a viable transfer on maps and in announcements. It just does not make sense to ascend to the street to 60th St from the Lexington Ave line, for example, walk three blocks and descend winding stairways/escalators into that very deep station. It's too bad they did not build this in the 80s. I suppose they are observing the demand for this free transfer point?

While I'm at it, does anyone know how some of the transfers will be physically done between existing stations and the 2nd Avenue Subway? I am particularly referring to the places where the stations are two avenues apart, like at 42nd Street/Lexington Ave. No chance the (S) will be extended right?

While I'm at it, does anyone know how some of the transfers will be physically done between existing stations and the 2nd Avenue Subway? I am particularly referring to the places where the stations are two avenues apart, like at 42nd Street/Lexington Ave. No chance the (S) will be extended right?

The 42nd Street (S)huttle will not be extended

Transfer points for the 2nd Avenue Line:

125th Street and Lexington Avenue for (4)(5)(6) and Metro-North Rail Road from 125th Street and 2nd Avenue (Q)(T)

51st Street and Lexington Avenue for (6)(E)(V) from 55th Street and 2nd Avenue (T)

42nd Street and Lexington Avenue for (4)(5)(6)(7)<7>(S) from 42nd Street and 2nd Avenue (T)

14th Street and 4th Avenue/Broadway for (4)(5)(6)(L)(Q)(R)(W) or 1st or 3rd Avenues (L) from 14th Street and 2nd Avenue (T)

Houston Street and Allen Street for (F)(V) from Houston Street and 2nd Avenue (T)

Grand Street and Chrystie Street for (:o(D) from Grand Street (T)

These stations will be either walking distance and/or underground transfer passages

The 42nd Street (S)huttle will not be extended

Transfer points for the 2nd Avenue Line:

125th Street and Lexington Avenue for (4)(5)(6) and Metro-North Rail Road from 125th Street and 2nd Avenue (Q)(T)

51st Street and Lexington Avenue for (6)(E)(V) from 55th Street and 2nd Avenue (T)

42nd Street and Lexington Avenue for (4)(5)(6)(7)<7>(S) from 42nd Street and 2nd Avenue (T)

14th Street and 4th Avenue/Broadway for (4)(5)(6)(L)(Q)(R)(W) or 1st or 3rd Avenues (L) from 14th Street and 2nd Avenue (T)

Houston Street and Allen Street for (F)(V) from Houston Street and 2nd Avenue (T)

Grand Street and Chrystie Street for (:o(D) from Grand Street (T)

These stations will be either walking distance and/or underground transfer passages

yup. thats all true.

I'd like to see them extend the underground walkway under 42nd street from where it ends just west of sixth avenue the relatively short distance to the Broadway and 42nd street station. If you utilized all connected walkways then you would be able to go all the way from 44th and eigth to 42nd and 5th!

The extensions proposed sound great in theory, however, safety is a one, if not, the greatest concern. For me, I don't care but for all those other folks who are complainers, or scared wimps, or even tourists walking those connections at late hours can be a tricky predicament. I, for one, am all for it. Just be wary of the naysayers. Remember the weak and wimpy complainers usually get their wish as NIMBYs do.

In my original post I was thinking of 191st St station on the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line.

There are two exits from this station via the same fare control. There is an exit at the summit of the hill; the main entrance at 191st Street and St. Nicholas Avenue, accessible by elevator only. The other is at the hillside, at 191st Street and Broadway, accessed via a three-block long passageway, one of the longest in the system.

Anyone know what the longest passageway in use is?

Also, do you think the Queens plazas underground connection could copy Court Square's? See this page. I don't suppose this horizontal escalator is very useful since it only goes in one direction and moves at only a walking pace (or slightly slower, if I recall correctly).

I'd like to see them extend the underground walkway under 42nd street from where it ends just west of sixth avenue the relatively short distance to the Broadway and 42nd street station. If you utilized all connected walkways then you would be able to go all the way from 44th and eigth to 42nd and 5th!

There is supposed to be one right now, as part of the new Bank of America Tower http://www.durst.org/i_bp_amenities.asp (it would actually connect to the northernmost mezzanine, on the north side of 42nd St). You can even see the start of it separated from the stairway to the street by an iron fence, and hebind a door and untiled wall next to the steirs to the downtown platform.

I don't know what's going on on the other side, however. They're finally finishing up on the street level, and the mid block arcade is now open. That was supposed to have an exit, but there is no sign of it. When they were constructing it, I saw what looked like a stairway developing on the left side, but now that is covered by an extra wide extension of the wooden bench lining the wall. Still not sure where exactly it was supposed to connect underground. It would appear to be behind the shuttle, probably where the door to the old building was (now Station Dept. rooms) but there is o sign of any waork going on.

I hope now they have not shelved the whole thing.

Anyone know what the longest passageway in use is?

I don't know what the longest passageway currently is. Some of the transfers within Times Square, Canal Street and Borough Hall are horrendous. I believe, at one point there was actually some ridiculous underground passageway between the 6th and 8th Avenue Lines in Midtown.The Gimbel's Tunnel, I believe. And passengers were permitted to walk underground from something like 31st Street/8th Avenue to 40th Street/6th Avenue. I read that somewhere, and that's a disturbing transfer. :eek:

I don't know what the longest passageway currently is. Some of the transfers within Times Square, Canal Street and Borough Hall are horrendous. I believe, at one point there was actually some ridiculous underground passageway between the 6th and 8th Avenue Lines in Midtown.The Gimbel's Tunnel, I believe. And passengers were permitted to walk underground from something like 31st Street/8th Avenue to 40th Street/6th Avenue. I read that somewhere, and that's a disturbing transfer. :eek:

Wasn't that between 34th St and 42nd St on the 6th Avenue?

Regardless, you might as well just take the train.

Wasn't that between 34th St and 42nd St on the 6th Avenue?

Regardless, you might as well just take the train.

But the purpose of that was to replace the 38th St. station on the 6th Ave. el. (It had exits at or around 38th St).

But the purpose of that was to replace the 38th St. station on the 6th Ave. el. (It had exits at or around 38th St).

That may have been, but then that's virtually the same as walking to the 34th or 42nd St station on the surface, except without the crowds and traffic and lights. It's also an excellent place to mug people if there are no cops.

Well there was a transfer from 6th to 8th avenue but on 14th street. you could walk from 17th street/8th ave to 14th street/6th ave. However, the exit at 17th/8th was sealed because of safety. and the the mezzanine was restructured and the extra space was converted to storage/office space. Used to be pretty handy during rainy days. old times...

Wall Street (4)(5) is an interesting station if you're into underground puzzle palaces. The passageway to Chase Plaza and the Equitable Building can also take you to the Broad Street (J)(M)(Z) and Wall Street (2)(3) stations. Of course, it's not free and not advertised. I think only one sign mentions the (J)(M)(Z), as small bullets on an exit sign.

It's also an excellent place to mug people if there are no cops.

The passages were closed due to a murder, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

You can still walk from 35th and 8th through Penn Station to 32nd and 7th. The Gimbles basement tunnel on to 6th avenue is long closed. It used to be wall to wall with the homeless and not a very pleasant way.

Good plans, but honestly to say, many of them won't happen in the near future, especially the one that involves connecting 63rd Street with 59th Street.

If someone wants to connect from the F to the N, the person could do it at 34th. If a person wants to connect to the 6 from the F, the person could do it at the Bleecker complex when it is fully rehabilitated. I mean, I know that many people do it today, but that does not justify the need for having a physical transfer in place, it is tough on engineering on tough on cash.

Archived