(F) Express Thru the Culver Line

Tracknut

• 2 years later...

The express track between Ditmas Ave and Kings Hwy is in perfect shape. In fact it sees quite a bit of action.

The express tracks between Ditmas Ave and Church Ave are out of service due to the Culver Viaduct project. As a result, northbound "express" trains would have to be routed to the local south of Ditmas.

The express track between Ditmas Ave and Kings Hwy is in perfect shape. In fact it sees quite a bit of action.

The express tracks between Ditmas Ave and Church Ave are out of service due to the Culver Viaduct project. As a result, northbound "express" trains would have to be routed to the local south of Ditmas.

The tracks between Carroll Street and Fourth Avenue have been completely ripped out, so there is no way that the express tracks north of Ditmas can be used for any sort of reroute right now.

I support it but as of right now, the express tracks are unusable north of the Church Av interlocking cuz there are no other switches for it (the interlocking north of 4 Av was removed) and the express tracks between the 4 Av portal and the Carroll St portal are completely gone. Maybe when its completed.

If the (F) is express between Church Av and Jay St, which line will provide local service to Manhattan? Don't even think about posting that the (G) will be the only local. That's not happening.

This is primarily why the (V) will come to Brooklyn, to provide parallel (G) and (V) local service. If anything, the (G) and the (V) can't both terminate at Church Avenue, so the (V) may be sent to Kings Highway. I don't think there are many (G) riders south of Church Avenue, just Sixth Avenue riders.

How is the tunnel that triangulates between Seventh Avenue and Church Avenue? IIRC, this tunnel last saw the 70(F).

It's fine, right now some of the tracks are being worked on. It has been in use, on weekends before the viaduct work started and the (G) was extended, the (G) would run lite from Smith-9th to Church Av and they would relay there instead of at 4th Av. Nothing is going to happen with an (F) express for the next 4 to 5 years while the viaduct work is on going, so it is pointless to speculate on what might happen.

Why couldn't Church Av handle (G) and (V) service with (F) through-service? CTL used to handle (E)(F) with (R)(V) terminating there. The (G) runs less frequently than the (R) as well...

I guess Church Avenue can handle trains better than Forest Hills, as there are more tracks at Church. But I think if express service is restored south of Church, there will be need for Sixth Avenue service. The (V) may very well be sent to Kings Highway.

I guess Church Avenue can handle trains better than Forest Hills, as there are more tracks at Church. But I think if express service is restored south of Church, there will be need for Sixth Avenue service. The (V) may very well be sent to Kings Highway.

Church Av and CTL both have 4 relay tracks underneath the revenue tracks. Do you propose the (V) be sent to Kings Hwy full-time or rush hours only (a la the (M))?

Church Av and CTL both have 4 relay tracks underneath the revenue tracks. Do you propose the (V) be sent to Kings Hwy full-time or rush hours only (a la the (M))?

It could go there all day on weekdays, that was what I had in mind. By the time the Culver Viaduct project is near completion, there will probably be a public hearing to allow passengers to give their opinion on a new service pattern, but I hope it's not like the Manhattan Bridge situation when the MTA implemented this lame service flip-flop ((D) via West End, (B) via Brighton) service. I'll give my view of what would be a good outcome:

(F): As it is, except weekday service operates express between Church Avenue and Bergen Street. Peak express service operates between Church Avenue and Kings Highway. Late night and weekend service is normal (current full-time pattern).

(G): As it is.

(V): Weekdays, between Queens and Kings Highway. If a change like this were implemented, the (V) may very well see more ridership.

It could go there all day on weekdays, that was what I had in mind. By the time the Culver Viaduct project is near completion, there will probably be a public hearing to allow passengers to give their opinion on a new service pattern, but I hope it's not like the Manhattan Bridge situation when the MTA implemented this lame service flip-flop ((D) via West End, (:P via Brighton) service. I'll give my view of what would be a good outcome:

(F): As it is, except weekday service operates express between Church Avenue and Bergen Street. Peak express service operates between Church Avenue and Kings Highway. Late night and weekend service is normal (current full-time pattern).

(G): As it is.

(V): Weekdays, between Queens and Kings Highway. If a change like this were implemented, the (V) may very well see more ridership.

I'm not too familiar with Culver service, but is there really a high demand [over crowded F trains] during the midday hours south of Church Av that really demands the need for the V to run to Kings Highway?

I see at most rush hour service for the V to run to Brooklyn, but shouldn't the F and G be enough middays?

Well, there is the fact that the (G) only has 4 cars; I believe it should have 6 though. But personally, I also think that the (V) should be extended into Brooklyn. Especially if the extra service would be benefitial.

If the (G) is supposed to take the load from the (F) for local stops then it needs to be a full train set.

If the (G) is supposed to take the load from the (F) for local stops then it needs to be a full train set.

The (C) and the (G), both the step-children of the subway. The ©'s getting 10 gars, great! The (G), well, it used to be eight cars when it ran R32s before December of 2001 before getting downgraded to 300'. Going back to eight would be some sort of upgrade, I guess. Especially if th (V) doesn't come to Brooklyn after all then the (G) would really need to be longer to support the extra load.

The (F) needs no express service (in Brooklyn that is, via the Culver line), it's fine the way it is. However, if express service was warranted, the (F) expresses should terminate/orginate at Kings Highway.

What are you talking about??? The (F)does need express service. Park Slope residents have been pushing for this for so long, and now their wishes have been granted.

Archived