Letter written to NYCT Boss, Roberts, on subway service.

Hi Guys. Here a copy i wrote recently to NYCT President Howard Roberts on subway service. please read and reply guys to it. Thanks in Advance.

MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority)

C/O Howard Roberts

President New York City Transit

2 Broadway

New York, NY, 10004

July 1, 2009

Dear President Roberts and Also Please To Whom It May Concern:

As a regular user of the various subway lines in the system, I write to ask for more frequent service on the “C” line including extending late evening service until at least 1230is. The other issue is to extend the “R” line Overnight service to run to 57th Street and 7th Avenue and merge the “Z” and “V” lines which would operate between Forest Hills and Broadway Junction in East New York, Brooklyn weekdays. The purpose of mergering the “V” and “Z” lines is to provide a relief of overcrowding on the nearby “F”, “L” and “A/C” lines.

a)First I make this request for the “C” to run later until at least 1230 are because I often have to wait for two or three trains to go through the station during the hours of 11pm-1am when the “A” train becomes are too crowded. It is worse at 34th Street-Penn Station, during events at Madison Square Garden when Knick/Ranger or other MSG shows end. And, because there’s only one bench at the station, I usually have to stand while waiting for a train, even during off hours.

;)The Second suggestion is to extend the “R” line overnight service northbound terminal to 57th Street/7th Avenue. Sometimes the “N” can get very crowded especially between Canal Street and 36th Street-Sunset Park. By having the “R” run all night between Manhattan and Brooklyn the “N” could run 24 hours 7 days a week through the Manhattan Bridge, while the “R” operates via the Montague Street Tunnel at all times. This would lessen confusion for Manhattan/Brooklyn passengers waiting for an “R” train overnights and instead wait a long time until figuring out; it operates only as a shuttle in Brooklyn. Also I don’t think it is fair that Bay Ridge area residents have to transfer two times(2x) to connect to the 7th Avenue ‘2’ and Lexington Avenue ‘4’ IRT lines via transfer to “D” and “N” lines. Extending the “R” to Manhattan would solve that issue. There no need to operate the “R” the full route overnights between 95th Street/Bay Ridge and Forest Hills in my view as the “F” as a good alternative route and riders can transfer at 34th Street. However the “R” is needed in running it between Manhattan and Brooklyn would help out the “D” and “N” lines a lot.

c)The Third suggestion is to consider merging the “V” and “Z” lines (to be called the “Z”) to relieve overcrowding on the “A/C” “E” “J” and “L” lines. The Brooklyn-Broadway Line is in middle of the fastest growing neighborhoods in all of Brooklyn such as Bushwick and Williamsburg and yet there is not a direct 1-seat train to and from Midtown. In addition the Essex Street transfer station connecting to the Uptown/Queens bound “F” line weekdays and even sometimes on weekends can be standing room. Plus the old abandoned Christie Street tracks still used by non-revenue service cars between the Nassau Street and 6th Avenue/Culver line so the costs should not be too expensive.

Thank you for your attention to the matter addressed in this letter. I would appreciate a response to my request.

Yours truly,

Hudson River

Dear HR,

Thank you for your interest in our system; we found very interesting your idea to run 8 car trains on the Queens Blvd corridor. Please find enclosed a complimentary $2.25 Metrocard (thanks to our sponsors at the Bank of England!) as well as detailed travel information on how to get to the Creedmoor Psychiatric Center, conveniently served by the NYCT Q46 bus!

Yours truly,

The Other HR

So, how do you plan on paying for all this new service? and do you honestly ride the subway at these hours to really know that it's needed? Seeing that you live by Beacon, I don't see how you are frequently down here around midnight.

Dear HR,

Thank you for your interest in our system; we found very interesting your idea to run 8 car trains on the Queens Blvd corridor. Please find enclosed a complimentary $2.25 Metrocard (thanks to our sponsors at the Bank of England!) as well as detailed travel information on how to get to the Creedmoor Psychiatric Center, conveniently served by the NYCT Q46 bus!

Yours truly,

The Other HR

Wow that had me going...

a)First I make this request for the “C” to run later until at least 1230 are because I often have to wait for two or three trains to go through the station during the hours of 11pm-1am when the “A” train becomes are too crowded. It is worse at 34th Street-Penn Station, during events at Madison Square Garden when Knick/Ranger or other MSG shows end. And, because there’s only one bench at the station, I usually have to stand while waiting for a train, even during off hours.

I understand your pain when it comes to that transitional time from night to late night service. Many times I've been stuck waiting.

c)The Third suggestion is to consider merging the “V” and “Z” lines (to be called the “Z”) to relieve overcrowding on the “A/C” “E” “J” and “L” lines. The Brooklyn-Broadway Line is in middle of the fastest growing neighborhoods in all of Brooklyn such as Bushwick and Williamsburg and yet there is not a direct 1-seat train to and from Midtown. In addition the Essex Street transfer station connecting to the Uptown/Queens bound “F” line weekdays and even sometimes on weekends can be standing room. Plus the old abandoned Christie Street tracks still used by non-revenue service cars between the Nassau Street and 6th Avenue/Culver line so the costs should not be too expensive.

I've always thought the Christie Street Connection should be utilized. Possibly with a rush hour (V),(Z) or the even the (M). But It's not financial smart. At this point I think we're lucky to have the service that presently running.

But if I was to gripe it would be about the Rush hour Lex. :cry:

Well well well (A) positive letter indeed hmm who's got (A) stamp?We gotta get this letter to the (MTA)subways ASAP . How do we pay for this hmmm I have left over monopoly money wait,wait ,wait do you think they will take A check LOL na serious I lke this idea can we submit this . (K)<R>

So, how do you plan on paying for all this new service? and do you honestly ride the subway at these hours to really know that it's needed? Seeing that you live by Beacon, I don't see how you are frequently down here around midnight.

Julio i used to live in Brooklyn until 2 years ago. Second i got relatives/friends all over NYC and sometimes i spend a whole weekend in the boroughs. Third a friend lives in the Washington Heights area and the (A)is often SRO packed when i go 'uptown' around 1130pm as the (C) is ending service. Sometimes i take the (A)to 207th for the BX7 to go to Marble Hill and catch the MNRR trains. The friend lives near 155th and Amsterdam.

Julio if you read the lettter carefully i only suggested extending the (C) opearting hours another hour-90 minutes to end at around 1230am.

I fully aware of the fiscal crisis but it nothing wrong to ask right?

Yes i have a car but when in the city most of time i use the subway at most hours except late nights. So i know what i am talking about.:cool:

Dear HR,

Yours truly,

The Other HR

Zman, you CRACK ME UP!!! X-D!

Okay, the only logic I see is maybe making the (R) overnight, just MAYBE. But extending the (C) to operate to 12:30 would make absolutely no sense; the (A) can do that just fine. And really, merge the (V) and (Z) together? I'll admit, it takes guts to write a letter to MTA proposing such a demand for new service, but do you really think the MTA will get over by reading your letter? They just might throw it away or hang it up on a bulletin board and, as Brooklynites say, fuhgedaboudit!!!

About your ideas:

C extended to 12:30 AM is not a bad idea as based on my experience riding the 8th Ave after the C is over, it's a bit packed on the A Local so having the C run a bit later for another hour or 2 would help! Does not really need to end @ 12:30 AM!

R to 57 St/7 Ave is also not a bad idea however based on my experience on riding the late night Broadway trains, I never see anybody looking for the R in Manhattan. It's a bit busy heading to Brooklyn in the early AM hours however I don't think the R to 57/7 is needed that bad. The R shuttle is good as it is however it be a bit better if it go's to Atlantic-Pacific to provide more options to/from Manhattan!

The Z/V merger is something I won't see ever happening. I can see this ONLY like in a EXTREME Emergency for whatever reason! However the only thing I can see happening down the road is when the Culver Viaduct Project is over the V may go to Church or Kings Highway.

Overall, not bad ideas however don't expect them to go through anyway!

I only care for the extended (C) service really. Everything else proposed in that letter either doesn't affect me or in my opinion make sense for the MTA to do. Extended (C) services means extended (A) express service which would be a big thumbs up if i am ever traveling home at 11:30 - midnight like i used to do with my old job.

Dear HR,

Yours truly,

The Other HR

One-way ticket to Creedmoor:p. But I thought single-ride tickets are only valid for 2 hours from purchase.

I agree on the overnite (R) but run it thru to CTL and let the (E) be Qns EXP.

Have the (C) run out to Lefferts on the late nite and (A) EXP thru to Far Rock.

(V)(Z) merger :tdown:

Z, you the man. :tup: I pissed my pants

Of course, cuz he's Zman!

Ok my 2 cents time....

(R) Extension... That's is a good idea and it 's needed. The (N) running Broadway Locals at night by itself is kinda cramped. The Broadway Line serves many nightclubs and bars along Broadway. Broadway nightclubs also seem to apper on local stops. The (N) isn't enough....

(C) Extension Of Service Hours...That's kinda needed as well. I say it should be put under a 30-day trial period just to see what happens. If it doesn't work, terminate it!

(V)(Z) Merger...I think I gonna take a HELL NO on that one. That will never fall through. Too much service and timetables, tracks, and switches need to be rearrange. It tickles my brain just thinking about it.

The (N) is cramped at nights running local? Are we riding the same train? I always get a seat on the (N) when it's running local to Brooklyn.

See that's just the thing. People constantly complain about not being able to sit down during rush hour, or any give time of day. SO WHAT? I'm content with being on a train that's not crowded. I really don't care about standing on a train unless I'm cramming into a car with 200+ people.

• 2 weeks later...

Without further any further delay here copy of letter i got back this morning97/17/09 on the issues raised in my most recent letter. For my privacy my real name/address is not included.

MTA NYC Transit President

Howard Roberts

2 Broadway

New york ny 10004

Hudson River

Hudson river Valley

NY 12590

July 10, 2009

Dear Hudson River.

This is in reply to your recent letter dated June 2009 which included several suggestions to improve subway service. Your suggestions include operating the (C) service later into the evening, extending late night (R) service to Manhattan and or Queens, and merging the (V) and (Z)service using the Chrystie street connection.

In response to your first two suggestions, the division of operations Planning reguarly conducts passenger counts at key station locations, calaculates the operating frequencies needed to meet rider demand, and adjust schedules and service spans accordingly, where feasible. Both late evening and weekend time periods is the fastest growing in terms of passenger growth.

New York city Transit does recognize that due to occasional delays in service and special events such as ballgames and concerts at Madison Square Garden or Yankee Stadium for instance, some trains experience heavy crowding levels.

On the 8th avenue line, we do have on occasion, have some standing room conditions on the (A) and (C) lines between 145th Street and Nostrand Avenue in late evening mainly due to events at the Garden.

However our current surveys have found that ridership levels on late evening (A) trains between 11pm-1am following the end of evening service on the (C) are within MTA guidelines. Similarly, ridership levels on the late night (N) trains mainly between 1130pm-1am when it operates local via Whitehall Street in lieu of full service (R) trains are also within guidelines.

Prior to the downturn in the economy, NYCT was studying operating the ®between Bay Ridge and Forest Hills, Queens, and the (N) via the Manhatatn Bridge full time 24 hours a day.

With that said, due to the current economy we cannot provide any form of service increases at this time. When the recession ends, we will take a look at extending the service hours of the (C) by running it at least between 168th Street and the World Trade Center stop. Also running the (R) partially at least between Manhattan and Bay Ridge, Brooklyn will also be discussed.

We also reviewed your suggestion to merge the (V) and (Z) lines as a weekday peak hour service. While this extended (V) service along the (J) and (M) routes would have benefits for 1-seat Midtown service for riders along the Brooklyn-Broadway line, and also relieve overcrowding on the nearby (L) line it would also inconvenience other customers along 6th Avenue and Queens Blvd who wish to get to Lower East Side area and the West 4th Street station as well. Currently the (V) trains are comprised mostly of eight 75-foot cars. Opearting the (V) on the Jamaica Avenue or Mytrle avenue lines would require use of eight 60-foot R-160's cars. Currently there are not enough cars needed to extend the (V) via the Chrystie Street connection/Williamsburg Bridge. In addition, when the Culver bridge project is complete around 2012, we plan to extend the (V) to Kings Highway during rush hours.

We appreciate your interest in NYCT transit services and Thank you for taking the time to write the letter. Enclosed is a Metrocard for $6.00.

Sincearly

Howard H Roberts, JR.

Without further any further delay here copy of letter i got back this morning97/17/09 on the issues raised in my most recent letter. For my privacy my real name/address is not included.

MTA NYC Transit President

Howard Roberts

2 Broadway

New york ny 10004

Hudson River

Hudson river Valley

NY 12590

July 10, 2009

Dear Hudson River.

This is in reply to your recent letter dated June 2009 which included several suggestions to improve subway service. Your suggestions include operating the (C) service later into the evening, extending late night (R) service to Manhattan and or Queens, and merging the (V) and (Z)service using the Chrystie street connection.

In response to your first two suggestions, the division of operations Planning reguarly conducts passenger counts at key station locations, calaculates the operating frequencies needed to meet rider demand, and adjust schedules and service spans accordingly, where feasible. Both late evening and weekend time periods is the fastest growing in terms of passenger growth.

New York city Transit does recognize that due to occasional delays in service and special events such as ballgames and concerts at Madison Square Garden or Yankee Stadium for instance, some trains experience heavy crowding levels.

On the 8th avenue line, we do have on occasion, have some standing room conditions on the (A) and (C) lines between 145th Street and Nostrand Avenue in late evening mainly due to events at the Garden.

However our current surveys have found that ridership levels on late evening (A) trains between 11pm-1am following the end of evening service on the (C) are within MTA guidelines. Similarly, ridership levels on the late night (N) trains mainly between 1130pm-1am when it operates local via Whitehall Street in lieu of full service (R) trains are also within guidelines.

Prior to the downturn in the economy, NYCT was studying operating the ®between Bay Ridge and Forest Hills, Queens, and the (N) via the Manhatatn Bridge full time 24 hours a day.

With that said, due to the current economy we cannot provide any form of service increases at this time. When the recession ends, we will take a look at extending the service hours of the (C) by running it at least between 168th Street and the World Trade Center stop. Also running the (R) partially at least between Manhattan and Bay Ridge, Brooklyn will also be discussed.

We also reviewed your suggestion to merge the (V) and (Z) lines as a weekday peak hour service. While this extended (V) service along the (J) and (M) routes would have benefits for 1-seat Midtown service for riders along the Brooklyn-Broadway line, and also relieve overcrowding on the nearby (L) line it would also inconvenience other customers along 6th Avenue and Queens Blvd who wish to get to Lower East Side area and the West 4th Street station as well. Currently the (V) trains are comprised mostly of eight 75-foot cars. Opearting the (V) on the Jamaica Avenue or Mytrle avenue lines would require use of eight 60-foot R-160's cars.

Currently there are not enough cars needed to extend the (V) via the Chrystie Street connection/Williamsburg Bridge. In addition, when the Culver bridge project is complete around 2012, we plan to extend the (V) to Kings Highway during rush hours.

We appreciate your interest in NYCT transit services and Thank you for taking the time to write the letter. Enclosed is a Metrocard for $6.00.

Sincearly

Howard H Roberts, JR.

Reactions?

Reactions?

Woah, you actually got a reply!

"When the recession ends" is certainly a vague term that can be used to pacify a lot of demands. I think he deliberately played it safe by not promising anything on a specific timescale.

Apparently (C) service will be extended late nights from 168th to WTC, but I am certain not while the R32s are running (given their longevity and the MTA's financial troubles, who knows if they won't outlast the recession). On that note, I wonder what he would say to demands of actually running the (C) on weekends and not suspending the line with one G.O. after another. Weekend travel on the (A) (58 stops, 31 miles of local service) would even have tested Job's patience.

"Also running the (R) partially at least between Manhattan and Bay Ridge, Brooklyn will also be discussed." Might be discussed, but don't see it happening. (Having never taken the (R) late nights, I do not know enough about the need for changes in service along this line).

Another user (QM4Jewel Av) had suggested on this thread that the (V) might be extended to Kings Highway; that seems to be the only extension with a certainty of occurring.

I thought it was quite an idea to write to the (NYCT) boss, but his reply was largely for courtesy's sake and made few concrete promises.

Archived