L.I.R.R. Special Pics

Now its 55 MPH. When they were delivered it was 87.9 MPH

Was it 87.9 in revenue service, or was that the top speed on that test run? A R-44 going that speed must be pretty loud & hard to stand in, even if it were deemed safe.

Also, I love the way the R-44/46 resemble the "little brother" to the M1/M3, especially when they both shared the blue stripe around the body. Quite the cohesive look between the two branches of the MTA.

Was it 87.9 in revenue service, or was that the top speed on that test run? A R-44 going that speed must be pretty loud & hard to stand in, even if it were deemed safe.

Also, I love the way the R-44/46 resemble the "little brother" to the M1/M3, especially when they both shared the blue stripe around the body. Quite the cohesive look between the two branches of the MTA.

I'm not exactly sure about that. But I'll tell you this, (NYCT) had the intention of running the R44's for high speed service (~70-80 MPH) for the 2nd Ave Subway.

I'm not exactly sure about that. But I'll tell you this, (NYCT) had the intention of running the R44's for high speed service (~70-80 MPH) for the 2nd Ave Subway.

Interesting. If not for the 55mph speed cap, I'm sure the R44 could safely hit 65-70 or so on the (E)/(F) under Queens blvd, or on the (A) down to the Rockaways.

Although I have no idea if track condition/voltage would allow that.

Interesting. If not for the 55mph speed cap, I'm sure the R44 could safely hit 65-70 or so on the (E)/(F) under Queens blvd, or on the (A) down to the Rockaways.

Although I have no idea if track condition/voltage would allow that.

That's not the case. The R44 cannot achieve that speed anymore, and that isn't because of a speed cap. When the R44's were overhauled in the late 80's/early 90's, they were re-geared.

The only way a R44 could operate at its maximum speed (pre-GOH) would be if it were running on completely straight track for a long distance, the only instance of which I can think of exists between Howard Beach and Broad Channel stations.

Sidenote: the LA Metro Red Line subway routinely reaches 75 mph between Universal City and Hollywood/Highland stations.

The only way a R44 could operate at its maximum speed (pre-GOH) would be if it were running on completely straight track for a long distance, the only instance of which I can think of exists between Howard Beach and Broad Channel stations.

Sidenote: the LA Metro Red Line subway routinely reaches 75 mph between Universal City and Hollywood/Highland stations.

Definitely on those express tracks! Does anyone know why the T/A doesn't use the express tracks even though they ripped and reconstructed the section into a four track line like the LIRR before?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived