R62 on Garbage Service??

mark1447

At around 11:45AM I headed to the 174th St Station on the (2)/(5) line, i was walking to it. And I noticed the R127/R134 garbage train heading in for S/B, So as i was walking and staring at it, I noticed the Last 2nd car had 3 doors and windows. So im thinking... Is that an R110A set to work... So I wanted to catch up with it. Could of sworn it was going express but noticing the G/O on the White Plains Rd Line head NB the Garbage train was running on the Lcl. Caughut up to the next (2) Train, was following it all the way to Mott Avenue. At Mott I saw the R127/R134 ahead, while the (2) was slowing down. And saw it diverging to the Jerome split. Got off at Mott went up to the (4) took it to 138th where i saw it... on the M trk of Mott haven and 138th. Then I flipped to the Uptown side and saw the R62 there not 110A as expected. I didnt caught it on time to make a video cuz didnt wanna take the (5) but the (4). So i said forget it. It was heading NB on Jerome to Concouse/Jerome Yd maybe.

Anyways, how long as the R62 been doing garbage service, especially since the R62s airnt even close to retirement. Sorry dont have a car number, couldnt see it. But it was an R62 of course!

That was an R62A that was put on the garbage train because it has A/C, while the R127/134 cars do not.

Hmm I dunno tho, cuz it sounded like one the way the breaks were set. besides why was there an R62/A in garbage service?

Edit: Didnt see the image, But the R62/A was second, the R127/134 was first, then the garbage

R127/134 > R62/A > Garbage cars > R127/134

Hmm I dunno tho, cuz it sounded like one the way the breaks were set. besides why was there an R62/A in garbage service?

Theres no other cars in the A div that have A/C and run in singles. Those R33WF redbirds don't have A/C so they can't use those during the summer because the crews would burn up. And the R127/134s and R62s use the same populsion so thats what you probaly heard. So that leaves them to use the R62A single cars for the garbage train in the summer.

Theres no other cars in the A div that have A/C and run in singles. Those R33WF redbirds don't have A/C so they can't use those during the summer because the crews would burn up. And the R127/134s and R62s use the same populsion so thats what you probaly heard. So that leaves them to use the R62A single cars for the garbage train in the summer.

Oh I get it, and do u mean Air Conditioner? I though the R33S dont have that unless thats the same R33WF but the no A/cs?

Aren't R40 Slants used for refuse collection during the summer? I remember seeing them some time ago on the (A) and (C) before they became a mainstay but were out of service, of course. They were signed as the (;) on the side signs as those were most of the Slants were in 2007.

Oh I get it, and do u mean Air Conditioner? I though the R33S dont have that unless thats the same R33WF but the no A/cs?

Yes and yes.

Aren't R40 Slants used for refuse collection during the summer? I remember seeing them some time ago on the (A) and (C) before they became a mainstay but were out of service, of course. They were signed as the (;) on the side signs as those were most of the Slants were in 2007.

Yep, I seen the R40 Garbage train on the Queens Blvd line last summer. They now use R32s for the garbage train in the B div, I seen it the other day.

Yes and yes.

Yep, I seen the R40 Garbage train on the Queens Blvd line last summer. They now use R32s for the garbage train in the B div, I seen it the other day.

Why dont they use R33WF with A/Cs instead?

Aren't R40 Slants used for refuse collection during the summer? I remember seeing them some time ago on the (A) and (C) before they became a mainstay but were out of service, of course. They were signed as the (B) on the side signs as those were most of the Slants were in 2007.

They were exclusively used last summer b/c of they have the best A/C.

There are no R33WFs with air conditioning.

ah wait, those were the R33Ss, your right sry i meant the R33Mainlines.. I get confuse with the 33WF with A/Cs but those are the singles with no a/cs but fans. Am I saying it correctly?

ah wait, those were the R33Ss, your right sry i meant the R33Mainlines.. I get confuse with the 33WF with A/Cs but those are the singles with no a/cs but fans. Am I saying it correctly?

Yes.

So why the MLs would have them then?

MLs are pairs. WFs are singles. If you fit a R33WF with A/C it becomes too heavy. However, fitting married pairs was fine, as components were shared between the cars rather than being packed under one.

Yes.

MLs are pairs. WFs are singles. If you fit a R33WF with A/C it becomes too heavy. However, fitting married pairs was fine, as components were shared between the cars rather than being packed under one.

kool. But im kinda confused on why its called Single and Pair?

Single: One car, that can stand by itself and run by itself. The R62As, the R33WFs, and every R-series car before the R26 are singles.

Married Pairs: Two cars, permanently linked together, that share components between each other. One cannot run without the other. Everything R26-R42 are married pairs.

Singles = Cars that could be run individually on their own. Pairs = two sets of cars that in other to run need to be running with their pair.

Oh i get it now. Its like the R40As there is a slant end and on the other side theres nothing(Except a cab), none are identical, but needs another cars to be linked with it.

And the R62As for example has identical ends. I never knew the R33WF had identical ends tho. The MLs doesnt have identical ends tho

if you guys know what i mean

Oh i get it now. Its like the R40As there is a slant end and on the other side theres nothing(Except a cab), none are identical, but needs another cars to be linked with it.

And the R62As for example has identical ends. I never knew the R33WF had identical ends tho. The MLs doesnt have identical ends tho

Yeah, it's easy to get confused with the IRT cars, since they look the same backwards and forwards.

It's more complicated than that. Slants (and R40M/R42's for that matter) are unique in that a train operator's cab does not have door controls, which is why those cars cant run the (C) because the C/R will have to be "in the wrong place" unless the stopping position of the car is changed (remember the C/R has to line up with the conductor's boards), which is what happened and you had people running for the train as much as 120 feet and hurting themselves/complaining.

However, that doesn't have to do with whether or not two cars are a married pair or just two singles.

What makes a train a married pair is the sharing of mechanical equipment. On a married pair one car will have the batteries and motor generator (charges the batteries) and the other will have the air compressor. Cuts down on operating weight. With singles, each car needs it's own MG, compressor, and batteries. Because of the way they are dependent on each other, they are linked by "the bonds of subway car marriage" aka a linkbar that can only be taken off in the shops (as opposed to a coupler) so the two cars won't be separated unless they need to be in a shop for a reason having to do with maintenance.

R33S just refers to R33 single, so that's why you see it on 9306's plaque in the Transit Museum since i'm assuming this is what you are referring to. And true to form that's an R33WF, which is a single. And yes, a married pair won't have "identical ends" because there's no need for a bulkhead rollsign between the married cars because the fact they're linkbarred means that that end will never be the front or back of any train, so no sign is needed.

Wheres the thank you button for this guy?

I noticed that only some members have the thank you button. IMO all the posters here should have an thank you button. Does any of the mods know why only some members have the thank you button?

It's more complicated than that. Slants (and R40M/R42's for that matter) are unique in that a train operator's cab does not have door controls, which is why those cars cant run the (C) because the C/R will have to be "in the wrong place" unless the stopping position of the car is changed (remember the C/R has to line up with the conductor's boards), which is what happened and you had people running for the train as much as 120 feet and hurting themselves/complaining.

However, that doesn't have to do with whether or not two cars are a married pair or just two singles.

What makes a train a married pair is the sharing of mechanical equipment. On a married pair one car will have the batteries and motor generator (charges the batteries) and the other will have the air compressor. Cuts down on operating weight. With singles, each car needs it's own MG, compressor, and batteries. Because of the way they are dependent on each other, they are linked by "the bonds of subway car marriage" aka a linkbar that can only be taken off in the shops (as opposed to a coupler) so the two cars won't be separated unless they need to be in a shop for a reason having to do with maintenance.

R33S just refers to R33 single, so that's why you see it on 9306's plaque in the Transit Museum since i'm assuming this is what you are referring to. And true to form that's an R33WF, which is a single. And yes, a married pair won't have "identical ends" because there's no need for a bulkhead rollsign between the married cars because the fact they're linkbarred means that that end will never be the front or back of any train, so no sign is needed.

Well how come the MTA installed those yellow and orange boards? Those were supposed to be C/R boards for the (C) I believe because the R40S/R40M/R42 were on the line, but in a week they took them down. There's a stack of them at 14th Street on the southern end of the platform by the southbound express track. So what was the purpose of those?

Archived