Question about a MaBSTOA Security Guard(Photography Related)

mark1447

Does any1 know about this security guard , hes tall, afican american decent, bold of course, claims he was a sargen in the army and crap. Ive seen him in Manhattanvill back in March and now at Amsderdam from today. I was over at AMS taking a pic of the Depot to load to Wiki. And all of a sudden he comes out of no where screaming across from me saying "NO PICTURES ALLOWED!." Luckly i was acroos from him next to that pool on amsterdam. So i walk and he turns back around I say "TAKING PICTURES IS ALLOWED"

Then he steps out, I keep walking toward 125th and show him off by taking a pic of a D60HF Manhattan 101. Unlike last time when I headed to MV he comes across me saying taht .. Photography is not allowed, so no be or walk around the Depo. Im like its allowed, I got the rules(Even tho sum dont care like him), and he says: I dont wanna see any gang rules!

Like wtf, its the damn exact Rules from MTA/MaBSTOA. I left tho cuz he was threaning to call the topcs. Mind you this part is from March 2009.

So anyways has any1 ever faced this guy or know Im talking about?

Also when Im around depots or other places to take pics of transit. I follow by the rules. So please if any1s gonna say that i started something well thats wrong. Cuz I'm doing the right thing..

Like wtf, its the damn exact Rules from MTA/MaBSTOA. I left tho cuz he was threaning to call the topcs. Mind you this part is from March 2009.

So anyways has any1 ever faced this guy or know Im talking about?

Also when Im around depots or other places to take pics of transit. I follow by the rules. So please if any1s gonna say that i started something well thats wrong. Cuz I'm doing the right thing..

If you were doing the right thing, then why did you leave when he said that he was going to call the cops? If you had done nothing wrong there was nothing to be scared of if he had called the cops.

If you were doing the right thing, then why did you leave when he said that he was going to call the cops? If you had done nothing wrong there was nothing to be scared of if he had called the cops.

Im not into having issues, with cops and crap. Thats all. Of course im not scared. Plus that part was from march anyways. I just ignored him.

Im not into having issues, with cops and crap. Thats all. Of course im not scared. Plus that part was from march anyways. I just ignored him.

Well next time stay, let them call the cops.

If you were standing on public property (i.e. the sidewalk or the street) there's nothing anyone can do to restrict your photography. The cops (generally) are aware of this.

If you were on transit property, then that's a different story.

Take a look at "The Photographer's Right" flyer, which explains the legality of public photography in the United States -- http://krages.com/phoright.htm .

If you were standing on public property (i.e. the sidewalk or the street) there's nothing anyone can do to restrict your photography. The cops (generally) are aware of this.

If you were on transit property, then that's a different story.

Take a look at "The Photographer's Right" flyer, which explains the legality of public photography in the United States -- http://krages.com/phoright.htm .

Well I dont think there is a problem with taking a pic on Transit property, Im guessing. Seeing that AMS is also a sidewalk for pedestrians. But then again its better to take a shot of TA properties at certain areas.

Well I dont think there is a problem with taking a pic on Transit property, Im guessing. Seeing that AMS is also a sidewalk for pedestrians. But then again its better to take a shot of TA properties at certain areas.

These things get into all kinds of technical stuff. I'm talking about public vs. private sidewalks. To me, unless a public agency cleans the sidewalks, they are private sidewalks. Private citizens, and store owners, can be ticketed for not cleaning their sidewalks, but the public walks down them. Depending on who cleans the grounds surrounding MTA property, that would make it public or private. You can't take pics on transit property if told not to do so, but across from it you can snap all you want to snap, unless the grounds you are on is someone else (has to be private), and they request you stop.

Subway platforms on the other hand, are in MTA property, but it is a public platform. Just remember no flash. They need to make announcements about this, as too many still have their flash on........

These things get into all kinds of technical stuff. I'm talking about public vs. private sidewalks. To me, unless a public agency cleans the sidewalks, they are private sidewalks. Private citizens, and store owners, can be ticketed for not cleaning their sidewalks, but the public walks down them. Depending on who cleans the grounds surrounding MTA property, that would make it public or private. You can't take pics on transit property if told not to do so, but across from it you can snap all you want to snap, unless the grounds you are on is someone else (has to be private), and they request you stop.

Subway platforms on the other hand, are in MTA property, but it is a public platform. Just remember no flash. They need to make announcements about this, as too many still have their flash on........

kool, good to know. But Still i was taking a pic off T/A Property so i didnt break any rules at all.

BTW does auto focus lamps count as a flash?

kool, good to know. But Still i was taking a pic off T/A Property so i didnt break any rules at all.

If it flashes bright enough to cause temporary blindness, yes.....

These things get into all kinds of technical stuff. I'm talking about public vs. private sidewalks. To me, unless a public agency cleans the sidewalks, they are private sidewalks. Private citizens, and store owners, can be ticketed for not cleaning their sidewalks, but the public walks down them. Depending on who cleans the grounds surrounding MTA property, that would make it public or private.

Sidewalks are only private if property lines themselves bisect such sidewalks. Usually, there's a small plaque or line embedded in the sidewalk indicating that certain parts of it are private and therefore subject to the owner's regulations. But in absence of a certain notice, all sidewalks are public property from which anyone can take photographs from.

Bus depots, such as AMS, are generally restricted to the public. So trespassing and taking photos on bus depot property without authorization would indeed be a problem.

Sidewalks are only private if property lines themselves bisect such sidewalks. Usually, there's a small plaque or line embedded in the sidewalk indicating that certain parts of it are private and therefore subject to the owner's regulations. But in absence of a certain notice, all sidewalks are public property from which anyone can take photographs from.

Bus depots, such as AMS, are generally restricted to the public. So trespassing and taking photos on bus depot property without authorization would indeed be a problem.

But I never trespass, Besides its a building where people can walk around it. Im not stupid to go in the depo. Plus if you were to walk next to 128th st(I think) there is also a Security Guard there, and I take pics of the buses that are under repair/maintained, and the Security Guard does nothing. But I dont in!

And how is it that photography on property isnt allowed if the rules of conduct clearly state that its allowed:

1050.9 C:

Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part.

I go by the rules of course. I know not use Flash or tripods + I never trespass any restricted areas..

If it flashes bright enough to cause temporary blindness, yes.....

I don't think it really matters, any kind of light (auto focus) including, should not be used, especially at night when it's dark outside and harder to see. That's why operators a lot of time hide away their face when seeing a photographer; of course it can be for other reasons, but the flash really is bothering when using it against a person's face.

If cops start to bother you, you shouldn't show them the MTA rules or whatever it is you show them, show the NYPD photo directive, hopefully that gives them a chill pill, otherwise if you're on public property just act like no one is talking to you... That's the best I gotta say.

Archived