Wierd R33 Rollsign reading

lilbluefoxie

I was in the Transit Museum earlier today, and the rollsign on the R33 was displaying this:

(5) To The Bronx | (2) To Brooklyn

Was this ever used? The knob was actually scrollable and it appeared to be between (2) and (4), where (3) Should have been.

Photo:

IMG_2864.JPG

I was in the Transit Museum earlier today, and the rollsign on the R33 was displaying this:

(5) To The Bronx | (2) To Brooklyn

Was this ever used? The knob was actually scrollable and it appeared to be between (2) and (4), where (3) Should have been.

Photo:

IMG_2864.JPG

Yes, these were used during the Lenox Avenue reconstruction in 1998. (2) trains had to operate via Lexington Avenue in one direction and via Seventh Avenue in the other direction because only one track was available along Lenox Avenue on weekdays, and it crippled (2) and (3) service. The sign that you found covers the (3) reading, but another one of these signs covered another reading as well (I believe it was the (1)), which reads in the inside of the subway car: (2) To The Bronx/(5) To Brooklyn. Why these weren't removed after the construction was finished I don't know.

Yes, these were used during the Lenox Avenue reconstruction in 1998. (2) trains had to operate via Lexington Avenue in one direction and via Seventh Avenue in the other direction because only one track was available along Lenox Avenue on weekdays, and it crippled (2) and (3) service. The sign that you found covers the (3) reading, but another one of these signs covered another reading as well (I believe it was the (1)), which reads in the inside of the subway car: (2) To The Bronx/(5) To Brooklyn. Why these weren't removed after the construction was finished I don't know.

Because it's a relatively common G/O and they knew those cars weren't getting assigned to the (3) or (1). As a matter of fact, there were a few weekends in 2008 where the same G/O was in place but for a different reason.

Interestingly, the (5) train I took from Boro Hall going towards Manhattan had the (2) map on the inside.

That's because the the (2) and the (5) share fleet during rush hour, so you will often see a (5) train with a (2) route strip map and vice versa.

Archived