Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Maserati7200

Does anyone have any subway/transit questions to ask a woman born in 1920?

Hey everyone!

My grandmother was born in January 1920 and has rode the subway frequently as a child/adolescent/adult. I often ask her questions about riding the subway, and about the Sea Beach line (where she grew up around) and BMT standards in the 20s and 30's. She is 89 years old (will be 90 in January 2010) and I realize that unfortunately, she could be in her last few years. So if anyone has any questions that would like to be answered feel free to ask me so I could ask her. Hopefully she could answer them for you.

Hey everyone!

My grandmother was born in January 1920 and has rode the subway frequently as a child/adolescent/adult. I often ask her questions about riding the subway, and about the Sea Beach line (where she grew up around) and BMT standards in the 20s and 30's. She is 89 years old (will be 90 in January 2010) and I realize that unfortunately, she could be in her last few years. So if anyone has any questions that would like to be answered feel free to ask me so I could ask her. Hopefully she could answer them for you.

Wow! Tell your grandmother I said to have a happy early 90th birthday in advance and I wish her more prosperous years! (My grandmother lived to 97!)

Hmm...where should I start? Ask her about the first day of IND service if she can recall and how the service was like and how the stations looked. What else? Culver Express service, Sea Beach Express service, the blackout of 1965 and 1977, the deferred maintenance period in the 70s and 80s...I have lots more but that's all I can come up with at the moment. Thanks!

Thats kool. You can learn a lot from your grandparents. Which is awsome!

Although there would be too many questions from people(Maybe) but maybe one: Has she ever been in the original IRT City Hall Loop?

Oh! I have a question. My mom said that when she was little, she and other girls would tear their stockings in the straw seats on the subway all the time. Is this true?

How were the R32s through R68As like when new?

I don't think she would be able to remember that or remember the difference between the rest of the fleet. She wasn't a subway fan, she was just a rider.

As for everyone else's questions, I will try to get those answered ASAP.

God Bless her and tell her Happy Birthday. Since she is a Brooklynite ask her about the BMT els if you can. The West End Ninth Ave complex and Park Row have always interested me. That and the downtown Brooklyn els. Thanks.

Guest Charles

God bless your grandmother! would she happen to have any knowledge or stories about the Culver Shuttle?

hmmm... ask her how the Sea Beach line was. Did she ever see the railroad running along the sea beach? And just generally how did it look, like dimmer, more/less graffitti, better conditions of the stations. I've seen like one picture in color of the sea beach from the 50's early 60's and it looked great. There was grass along side the railorad and everything. today it just looks like a baron wasteland. And also if its not too much to ask, just generally about the culver el in its early days. And also how was the area around the sea beach? Thanks.

And btw, my grandma was born in January 1920 too. Coincidence heh? lol

God bless your grandmother!

Ask her whether it was more convenient to ride the Culver in Manhattan via 4th Av Local (becoming the Centre Street Subway) or via the South Brooklyn line (becoming the 6th Ave line), ask her were things better after the 1967 changes?

the subway was around in 1920? man thats early! it thought it was from the 50's or something. i really don't know my stuff B)

Okay, this thread has been here long enough. I'm collecting all the questions and next time I see my grandmother I'll ask her them and post the answers here.

the subway was around in 1920? man thats early! it thought it was from the 50's or something. i really don't know my stuff ;)

The IRT Ninth Avenue elevated line goes back to 1868. London's Underground had existed from 1863 (and the parliamentary bill approving it was passed in 1854), so the concept and technology was there from a considerable while back.

Early subways were steam or diesel powered. Electrification of London's Underground began in 1901. New York City's subway proper was electrified from the start, in 1904.

The earliest subway was a simple H-shaped route in Manhattan, comprising the current Lexington Avenue line, the Seventh Avenue line, the 42nd Street Shuttle and a service to Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn. The system grew over many years, the final addition currently in use being the IND Rockaway line in 1956. So the subway as we know it is from the 1950s, but the precursors go back a further 50 years.

The system grew over many years, the final addition currently in use being the IND Rockaway line in 1956. So the subway as we know it is from the 1950s, but the precursors go back a further 50 years.

Wrong, the Archer Avenue Line opened in the 80's didn't it?

Actually, the 63rd Street Tunnel route is the latest multi-station addition to the system. The Archer Avenue lines opened in December of 1988, and the 63rd Street line opened in October of 1989. And if we really want to get nitpicky, the new South Ferry station is the latest major track / route change to the system. ;)

Actually, the 63rd Street Tunnel route is the latest multi-station addition to the system. The Archer Avenue lines opened in December of 1988, and the 63rd Street line opened in October of 1989. And if we really want to get nitpicky, the new South Ferry station is the latest major track / route change to the system. ;)

Thanks. I overlooked the shorter additions to the line since the Rockaways rehabilitation in my original post. I guess I am not the best candidate to write about subway history;)