Which stations would YOU close and why?

Rutgers Tube

Someone mentioned something to me recently about a "useless station" and it made me think:

If the TA had to permanently close five stations on any line, in either revenue division and in any borough due to financial constraints and other problems with infrastructure, repairs, low ridership, etc., which would they close and why? Of course this is a hypothetical question which borders on stupidity, but I'm interested to know which stations people think should be shuttered and just exactly why those should be abandoned if it was a must-happen scenario.

:eek:

The Nassau Street Line definitely needs to undergo some MAJOR rehabilitation (Chambers Street is shabby as hell!). Close it, work on it for a few years and re-open it so Local and Express trains can run on the line.

But back to the main question, 145th Street is an important station. Close it and Harlem residents will bicker for sure. It really can't be lengthened either because the diamond crossover is in the way north of the station, and the grade junction is in the way south of the station. It's a shame all 10 cars can't fit into the station. Nevertheless it still serves some importance.

I dunno maybe 18th St on the (1)? My thing is station importance varies. You have to consider the people that live in that area as opposed to just travel to it and whats convenient for them. So maybe one station i don't see important is very vital to someone else.

The Nassau Street Line definitely needs to undergo some MAJOR rehabilitation (Chambers Street is shabby as hell!). Close it, work on it for a few years and re-open it so Local and Express trains can run on the line.

But back to the main question, 145th Street is an important station. Close it and Harlem residents will bicker for sure. It really can't be lengthened either because the diamond crossover is in the way north of the station, and the grade junction is in the way south of the station. It's a shame all 10 cars can't fit into the station. Nevertheless it still serves some importance.

Hes not saying close for Rehab but close for good!

I dunno maybe 18th St on the (1)? My thing is station importance varies. You have to consider the people that live in that area as opposed to just travel to it and whats convenient for them. So maybe one station i don't see important is very vital to someone else.

Right. I always remember the reason why 18th/Lex is closed, but 18th/7th is open. The exits at 14th/7th are at 12th, 13th, and 14th Sts, as opposed to the exits at 14th St-Union Square, which lead up to 16th St. That justifies the exit to be open at 18th St-7th, maybe?

I wouldn't necessarily close any station right now, but if the Aqueduct Racetrack was to be torn down with nothing to replace it, Aqueduct Racetrack should be closed. That's the only one I can think of.

Heh...since this is for fun I'd close:

-Wall St (4)(5) Make those investment banker/wall st crooks walk a little more.

-Wall St (2)(3) same as above

-18th St (1) close to 14 and 23

-Aqueduct Racetrack (A)

-Beverly Rd (Q) close to other stations

Hes not saying close for Rehab but close for good!

Close the entire Franklin Shuttle and let people use the buses instead. This way people who need a transfer between the (A)/© and the (2)/(3)/(4)/(5) or the (;)/(Q) will have to go to Manhattan! >-D

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

It's not in the way of the grade crossing. Else, the train would block the crossing even now when stopped in the short station.

It might be the tunnel construction that makes it hard to cut out an extension.

what are you talking about. the station that i would close

down is: the Pelham Line (6). all Pelham Line could use some

station rehabiltation. first think about (6) that need station rehabiltation.

all other subway have already got station rehabilitation. not the

(6). (6) line station are not rehabiltated as of yet.

OK since its only for FUN(Well not rly fun)! ill see:

Id close:

-Broad Street/Fulton St on the (J)(M)(Z). Just use the damn (4)(5)

-Intervale Avenue (2)(5), You can walk to ether Simpson or Prospect Instead, if your too lazy use the Bx4!

-215th Street on the (1), use the Bx7/20 Instead

-Clinton/Fulton Sts on the (G), use the (A)(C) instead, Use B69 or B38 if your lazy lol

-Nevis Street (2)(3)(4)(5) You can walk to Hoyt Instead

-Soundviews Avenue (6), you can walk to Elder Instead, Bx4 if your lazy

-52nd Street on the (7), Q32 Instead if your lazy!

-Cortelyou Road - (Q) use Beverly or Newkirk Instead.

I think the Pelham Bay Line is getting some fixes for the tube, seeing that they are adding the new yellow platform ages there and stuff..

Can't do it all at once.

The Nassau line is only 6 stops long, with one of them being the least used station in Manhattan (Bowery). If it should be reconstructed then the whole thing should be built with two tracks only (with Broad St. staying the same track-wise).

Rehab does not justify permanent closure.

Id close:

-Intervale Avenue (2)(5), You can walk to ether Simpson or Prospect Instead, if your too lazy use the Bx4!

-Clinton/Fulton Sts on the (G), use the (A)(C) instead, Use B69 or B38 if your lazy lol

I agree with Cortelyou and Intervale (though is Simpson a better choice? Aside from the ADA which can be installed in other stations, but I'll stop talking b/c I don't know much about the Bronx). IDK much about 215, Nevins, or Soundview so I won't comment. However, Fulton is a very useful transfer on the 4/5 so I wouldn't close it. Broad St. functions as another Wall St. station. Clinton St. shouldn't be closed because (G) passengers aren't headed the same direction as (A) passengers. 52nd is perfectly fine, it's good for it's neighborhood and it's not too close to another station.

All the stations on the Astoria Line and tear down the EL!
Yeah and people over there is gonna complain and not wanna go around via bus
He's not being serious, it's a joke from Subchat.

IMO a station should only be closed if the line is closeby to another station, or if it has low ridership.

Id close:

Just for fun, I'll tell you, Nevins isn't going anywhere. It's the main cross-platform transfer point for the Brooklyn IRT before they branch off going to Manhattan, and before they reach the hard-to-transfer station @ Atlantic Av.

Just for fun, I'll tell you, Nevins isn't going anywhere. It's the main cross-platform transfer point for the Brooklyn IRT before they branch off going to Manhattan, and before they reach the hard-to-transfer station @ Atlantic Av.

Yeah. Sometimes I don't know if I want a (2)(3) or (4)(5) when I'm at Atlantic and it's really hard to switch from the local to express platform.

Archived