Which stations would YOU close and why?

Rutgers Tube

The reason ridership is low on the Rock Park branch is that the area west of 96th St is largely suburban, middle/upper-middle class single family homes with high rates of car ownership. I am not sure what you mean by "if the area revives"; you can't have further gentrification, and sure as hell won't have public housing projects located there anytime soon.

As someone who has alot of friends in Bell Harbor, it does not really become a middle/ upper-middle class area till after Beach 120th or so. And once you get past there going to Breezy Point, no one out there wants to ride the subway and its also why it will never extend past Beach 116th.

For me, I will try not to close any.

The existence of a subway station is not for it to be closed, but for it to continuously serve people. While patronage factors can account, there is no proper justification to close any more stations down unless the stations are very close to each other. (And where one station has a significantly lesser patronage than the other) Closing stations can bring un-thought-of repercussions.

I heard some of you want to close the Broad Street station. Do it. Go do it, and see how many Wall Street workers get irate. Also, south of Broad has a turning facility, however archaic or however inefficient it may be, it serves the lines well. Truncating lines just to save money (on a hypothetical scale) results in inefficiencies.

If stations are in fact drastically close to each other, and where one station has a greater patronage than the other and where the operation of the line is affected by these stations, do I intend to close a station.

If a station has a lower patronage (and is in an outer borough), the bus system could be restructured so that stations like this could get a market. That's how it works in other cities, through feeder bus lines.

Some of you brought up 138th and 155th. While there seems to be a very low patronage there, think again. If the system is to axe these two stations, what would the local community say?

NONE. Some stations serve less than others, but usually the lesser used stations statistically are local stops. A couple of people have mentioned the Rockaway leg of the (A), I use this line frequently during the winter months to get out to Aqueduct Racetrack (the Manhattan bound stop is only open during the winter and spring and the Far Rockaway bound station serves North Conduit Ave as well as the track) and to visit relatives out on Rockaway during the year. The Rockaways is isolated and a good many use that line as the only means to get to work.

The only reasonable examples of stations being closed exist on the orignial IRT line with City Hall, 18th, Worth, and 91st due to platform elongation.

NONE. Some stations serve less than others, but usually the lesser used stations statistically are local stops. A couple of people have mentioned the Rockaway leg of the (A), I use this line frequently during the winter months to get out to Aqueduct Racetrack (the Manhattan bound stop is only open during the winter and spring and the Far Rockaway bound station serves North Conduit Ave as well as the track) and to visit relatives out on Rockaway during the year. The Rockaways is isolated and a good many use that line as the only means to get to work.

The only reasonable examples of stations being closed exist on the orignial IRT line with City Hall, 18th, Worth, and 91st due to platform elongation.

Agreed, and also because the stations were too close to major ones and that can affect service patterns.

Archived